21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: 'skinny-fat' and pre-diabetes
Created on: 04/13/14 01:18 PM Views: 356 Replies: 2
'skinny-fat' and pre-diabetes
Posted Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM

My dad is diabetic, so I am not surprised, but I am worried what to do now.

I had a doctor's check up and blood tests recently. Results are I'm pre-diabetic. My parents are surprised because well, if i'm a young-adult female, how could that happen? But the doctors mentioned 'skinny fat.' Like on the outside: a person will look thin, but inside, and especially the abdomen, you carry fat. (and that is true for me! just don't look at my stomach! lol)

Thoughts? Do I need to change a ton of things or is it as simple as avoid processed sugar, and get my carbohydrates through whole grains?

Maybe, it would have happened sooner or later =( Given my preference for sweet. My parents being from India, well my dad eats far too much white rice so it's not surprising. Indians tend to over-do the white rice.

RE: 'skinny-fat' and pre-diabetes
Posted Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Eating a low fat vegan diet with lots of low glycemic index, high fiber foods is a healthy choice. If you grew up eating favorite dishes from India, you might enjoy some of the recipes at Kickstart India. http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=21day_vegan_kickstart_india

email
Edited 04/13/14 5:41 PM
RE: 'skinny-fat' and pre-diabetes
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Kittens it looks like you found the Kickstart at just the right time. PCRM are the world leaders when it comes to diabetes prevention and reversal. The guidelines are as follows:

1) Fruits
2) Vegetables
3) Legumes
4) Low-glycemic grain products
5) Limit nuts to one ounce per day
6) Minimise or eliminate concentrated sweeteners
7) Avoid oils

I have it on good authority that bread made from stone ground flour is lower glycemic than the usual kind.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 303 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org