21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I am the walking dead!
Created on: 11/14/13 06:10 PM Views: 1030 Replies: 5
I am the walking dead!
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I just got a health screening at work and my total cholesterol is 343!

I need to see my doctor and start a good plan. I have been vegetarian for years and eat a mostly vegan diet.

But I am an unhealthy vegetarian because I will eat fast food.

RE: I am the walking dead!
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This forum is a great place for healthy-eating tips and ideas (and it's also great for encouragement).

As for myself, I've found the best way for me to avoid junk food is to keep adding healthy, filling foods so that I'm less likely to feel that sugar-craving. Rather than feeling like I'm depriving myself of something, I find it helps to feel like I'm treating myself with healthy foods. I don't have a lot of willpower, so if I'm already full from good foods, it's much, much easier to not feel strong cravings for unhealthy foods.

I also try to make sure I eat enough at each meal, and to not let too many hours go between having anything to eat, to try to keep blood sugar levels from dropping too much (I'm usually good for 4-5 hours between meals, but try not to go too much beyond that - if I wait much longer than that, I start to get cravings for junk food).

For me, the biggest challenge has been cutting out cheese. Last month I had no success at all - I was eating it almost every day, but so far this month I've totally avoided cheese (yay!!)

All the best! Smile

Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I have no problem cutting out Dairy....for me it is the oils, I am the Paula Deen of vegan butter! And I have been reading Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Hear Disease...and he says no oils, not even nuts or avocados! I love avocados! But my health is more important and I will give them up to live longer.

Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM

I found reading Dr Barnard's Breaking The Food Seduction VERY helpful (there is also a YouTube video on it I watched too) BUT the book has a lot more detail & really helped me get my head around it & where & how I was going wrong.

I did find that some of the recipes I was using at first just weren't delivering enough satisfying flavour, so I got familiar with positive substitutions & bought I copy of the Vegonomicon - this approach has really helped as I've gone from feeling a bit deprived to feeling really motivated & like I'm gaining new flavours. The only thing is that I've had to make a lot more time to cook than before (though I'm sure this will reduce as I build my repertoire), I think the key to this issue is to cook a bigger batch than needed & refrigerate a portion to eat in a couple of days & freeze one for next week.

I've also found that being on the forum & watching Dr Barnard on YouTube or reading from his books daily is great for keeping the motivation high.

Good luck

Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I second carlibeth - I'm currently reading "Breaking the Food Seduction". I'm not finished the book yet, but so far am finding a lot of useful info in it.

Posted Friday, November 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Definitely cooking with multiple meals in mind helps - for instance, we cook two to three times the beans we need for a given meal so that we can use them later on in the week. Beans go in veg chili, soups, added to pasta, with rice or quinoa, even tossed cold into a salad. Then those meals produce leftovers which become lunches for the next day or days - one pot of chili can make a dozen portions, which is several meals for the three of us - and usually after it's been dinner and lunch once, we'll 'tweak' things and use the leftover chili at that point as a 'pasta sauce' or a topping for baked potatoes or mix in some leftover cooked rice for a bit of a different texture. Beans, rice, pasta, crushed tomatoes, spices, and a few veggies (onion, bell pepper, corn most often but this time of year might also be cubed sweet potato or winter squash) and we've got lunches and dinners for 3 people for at least 3 or 4 days.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 431 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org