21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: High Cholesterol - Need Help
Created on: 01/01/14 02:07 PM Views: 1417 Replies: 8
High Cholesterol - Need Help
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Hi, Left alone my cholesterol is 275 and I had a heart attack in 2005. My cardiologist said I'm on the best diet possible. Unfortunately last year my cholesterol ranged from 275, 175, then 275, then 173, then 279. My cardiologist can't explain why it's fluctuating. Once when it was in the 170s, I only ate food from the Forks over Knives cookbook - fresh produce, fruit, etc. and I was so happy to see what the decrease would be and then it was in the 270s. Any thoughts about why it would fluctuate? I don't want to take prescription meds the rest of my life, especially when I can control this with diet.

RE: High Cholesterol - Need Help
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If there is anyway to control the conditions under which you get your cholesterol measured and keep it consistent. Meaning, always around 10am on a Thursday, haven eaten nothing since 7pm the night before, and with a similar amount of exertion/stress/diet surrounding the lab visit. Also think about the time of year of these measurements -- are you somehow higher in the cold months vs. warm months? Do your dietary/exercise/commuting habits change when it's cold vs. warm?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

This can happen if your thyroid is not working properly. Please have your TSH, T3 and T4 tested.

Blessings!

Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM

You may have to reduce or eliminate the amount of oil that you eat or use in cooking.

Research shows that most diets fail to reduce cholesterol. One exception is "the Dean Ornish–style diet, which was studied in the Lifestyle Heart Trial" which successfully reduces cholesterol levels. "This vegetarian diet consists of fruits, vegetables, soybean products, nonfat milk, and yogurt with no oils or animal products (Table). Roughly 7% of calories are from fat, 15% to 20% from protein, and the remainder from complex carbohydrates. Only 12 mg of cholesterol per day is allowed. This prohibition of oils, including olive and canola oil, contrasts with other low-fat diets. Ornish believes that all oils are fundamentally unhealthy as they contain both saturated and unsaturated fats in addition to many calories.

On average, Ornish's patients lost 24 lbs in a year and had a 37% reduction in LDL cholesterol levels (HDL cholesterol levels were unchanged). What is most provocative about this diet/ lifestyle program is that there was a 91% reduction in angina frequency and a significant degree of angiographically measured coronary stenosis regression. It is unclear to what degree other lifestyle modifications such as exercise and stress reduction, which are integral parts of the Ornish program, play in these results. Based upon these favorable findings, the National Institutes of Health is embarking upon a multimillion-dollar study of the Ornish diet vs bypass surgery in patients with coronary disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312230/

email
Edited 01/01/14 4:51 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Hi there - a similar thing happened to me, except I never did get my cholesterol down. Turns out the delicious refried beans my husband brought home once a week had bacon fat in it... That was enough to negate the rest of my efforts. Literally - my cholesterol had no change! LOL

I just wanted to mention it in case there might be some kind of saturated fat sneaking into your food.

Good luck! Smile

Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Not sure where the extra fat would be coming in. We sauté our veggies, etc. in water and I wasn't eating anything outside the diet. The first time it lowered I was trying the Portfolio diet (vegan style of course) with a glass of soy milk and some almonds daily. It may have been when I stopped drinking the soy milk consistently.
For what it's worth, I lost 18 lbs and am within my normal BMI.

Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Sapphire wrote:

Hi there - a similar thing happened to me, except I never did get my cholesterol down. Turns out the delicious refried beans my husband brought home once a week had bacon fat in it... That was enough to negate the rest of my efforts. Literally - my cholesterol had no change! LOL

I just wanted to mention it in case there might be some kind of saturated fat sneaking into your food.

Good luck! Smile

Sapphire - you make an important point - there are often things like this that escape our consciousness, for one reason or another.

I'm interested to know what happened to your lipid numbers once you were able to sidestep this problem with the beans. You've got me curious!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Sapphire - you make an important point - there are often things like this that escape our consciousness, for one reason or another.

I'm interested to know what happened to your lipid numbers once you were able to sidestep this problem with the beans. You've got me curious!

Lani

Thanks for your curiosity, Lani. Smile I'll have to let you know after this kickstart... I'm making 100% of my own food this time so I know what I'm working with LOL

I LOVE the food. The variety. The spices!

Thanks again for asking!
Sapphire

Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Sapphire wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Lani

Thanks for your curiosity, Lani. Smile I'll have to let you know after this kickstart... I'm making 100% of my own food this time so I know what I'm working with LOL

I LOVE the food. The variety. The spices!

Thanks again for asking!
Sapphire

Sapphire, with your attitude, how can you be anything other than brilliantly successful? Love your enthusiasm!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 174 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: boob92

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org