21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Fast and easy (and delicious salad)
Created on: 01/04/14 01:22 PM Views: 1071 Replies: 4
Fast and easy (and delicious salad)
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Hey all,

I threw together a lunch salad yesterday that was so easy and totally delicious, that I thought I'd share it with you.

The ingredients:

Romaine lettuce
salsa (from a bottle)
black beans, rinsed (from a can)
avocado, sliced

I was originally planning on making some brown rice the night before but didn't get around to it. But if I'd done that, it would have been an easy and healthful addition.

Especially if you wash, chop up and dry the lettuce the night before (as well as cooking the rice the night before), it's the easiest thing in the world to throw together.

And it was super-tasty and filling Smile

RE: Fast and easy (and delicious salad)
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM

That sounds really good! I made some TVP cooked with homemade taco seasoning spices recently and I bet it would taste great in that salad. I'll have to try that next time.

Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Sounds good! I'm curious, why would you cook the rice the night before? Would you put it cold on the salad or heat it up? It seems like hot rice might cause the lettuce to wilt.

Jen

Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM

@Sollemne: Totally - I bet that would be great to add! Smile

I bet some corn would be nice, too.

Edited 01/04/14 3:10 PM
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

@dodink58: I often like to cook enough brown rice in advance for a couple of meals. It makes it a lot easier to toss together a meal really quickly (and makes it especially easy for me to bring healthful lunches to work or to throw together a quick and tasty dinner when I get home from a long day and might not be in the mood to wait a while for my dinner to be ready).

Depending on what I'm making, I might warm up the rice by tossing it onto a frying pan or into a saucepan along with whatever else I'm having for that meal - for example, beans (already cooked or from a can), lentils (already cooked), veggies, and whatever sauce I want to use, etc.

In the case of this salad that I had, I would probably either toss the rice in cold or maybe heat it just a little before tossing it in.

I also like to cook things like quinoa the night before, since that makes it super-easy and fast to make some quinoa porridge (and it takes very little time to heat up the plant-based milk, to which you can then toss the already-cooked quinoa and other stuff like ground-up flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, maybe some blueberries, and a little maple syrup - yum!!

The quinoa porridge isn't my own recipe - I can't remember if I found it in the recipes here, or in one of the many vegan cookbooks that I've been checking out.

Either way, I'm a big fan of preparing grains in advance - especially during the week when I don't have a lot of time to cook things in the morning.

Hope that helps! Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 158 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org