21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: mixing fruit and greens/veg?
Created on: 01/21/13 02:40 PM Views: 833 Replies: 3
mixing fruit and greens/veg?
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Discussion going on at our Vegan meetup that you should not combine fruit with greens/veg. i usually put fruit in my green smoothy. (seems like apple is ok but no others). What do you think?

RE: mixing fruit and greens/veg?
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

vamiller wrote:

Discussion going on at our Vegan meetup that you should not combine fruit with greens/veg. i usually put fruit in my green smoothy. (seems like apple is ok but no others). What do you think?

What is the reason given? There is a school of thought that doesn't mix 'types' of stuff at all - not vegan/vegetarian specifically, but rather don't have fruit with X, don't have veg with y, don't have dairy with z...wait at least whatever amount of time between eating these groups of food. I know someone who was doing this (not vegan) and it seemed like such a pain to have to check and say "Oh, I can have the salad now but I have to wait half an hour after I'm done before I can have an apple..." Had something to do with the way the body digests different types of food and efficient/inefficient digestion.

Seemed like a lot of work with little to show for it (or any major science behind it).

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I use more greens then sweets in my smoothies, but I always include a half of an apple

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

DebR summed it up nicely. There is no evidence to support this idea. If it is easier on your tummy, then by all means, eat in whatever order serves you best.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 397 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org