21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Thank you
Created on: 01/21/13 04:55 PM Views: 1579 Replies: 8
Thank you
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Just a note of thanks to the 21 day quick start organizers.
What I appreciated most was the daily contact with like minded people.
I've flirted with "veganism" for three years now and did a complete year and a half on an olive oil drenched version of my own. I lost 10 lbs and then another 10 lbs under the guidance of an naturopath but that was with meat cheese eggs and olive oil.
This year has been extremely stressful and I was watching the pounds return egged on with a weekly greasy breakfast fry-up.
In November I took to the Internet and found first Mcdougall and Barnard then Esselstyne and the whole kick and kaboogal plant based movement.
I've been no/low vegan since then.
I'm a "cooking from scratch" snob and have adapted many of the recipes to my own tastes which run towards Mediterranean.
My friends have always thought of me as a health nut and I thought I knew a lot about healthy living but this journey has been an eye opener.
I cooked ( but didn't eat ) the full turkey dinner at Christmas but I've given notice for next year as I have no doubt that this way of eating is for keeps.
Please excuse the typo's I'm doing this from my iPhone.
I hope I can find a way to stay involve in this movement.
I'm going to the Canadian Organic Growers conference in February in Toronto.
I'll try to spread the word.
Thanks for the support.

RE: Thank you
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

What a nice message! I always pass along such kind words to all the folks over here who work so hard on the Kickstart.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I second the thank you! I loved the community here and the recipes and the tips and the information! It complemented my own research nicely and I'm so happy to say I've been completely vegan for 3 weeks and feel great!! This IS my new lifestyle. Period.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Edited 01/21/13 8:46 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I agree, thank you all!!!

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 3:28 AM

I love this thread! I just want to add THANK YOU for all the great recipes! I am a health nut too but sometimes I don't have much luck getting my family to eat my health food... these recipes have been a godsend!

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM

We've done "turkeyless" Thanksgivings without the faux tofu turkeys. We started with a big colorful tossed salad and a yummy Three Sisters soup (corn, squash, beans, seasonings - most regions have their own twist on this from Southwestern spicy to New England almost-chowdery), a dressing casserole - our favorite bread dressing with apple, celery, cranberry, chopped pecans, celery, onion, and veg stock, all mixed together then baked until the top got just crispy. Homemade whole wheat bread (we grind our own wheat for flour so we know it's whole wheat with nothing else done to it). For the non-vegans, we used cod fillets and put about a tbl of the dressing inside and rolled it up and baked it, with a 'gravy' of lemon juice and vegan margarine (non-hydrogenated) - a little fat but hey, it's Thanksgiving. We also had something else but I don't remember what it was...it was a couple of years ago now. Most years, we go to the ILs and bring along something like a chickpea quinoa and greens casserole (mmmm!) as a 'side dish' to contribute to the meal - or, in my case, as my main dish with little bits of baked sweet potato and such as well.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Sounds yummy. While others were eating the usual Christmas fare, I had a traditional dressing with onions, celery, parsley cubed bread, salt pepper and a spray of Braggs amino acids. I made a mushroom gravy which I will improve upon by next year, and cranberry sauce sweetened with apple sauce/juice. Lots of veggies which I love.
The frozen banana ice cream (with tropical fruit) is amazing and tempted my daughter in law who is open to vegetarianism.
My son lived on beans and pasta for 6 months while studying in Ireland where meat is really expensive so I'm hoping to gradually influence their eating habits.
I live with a committed carnivore. Unfortunately little hope there but the temptation to join in on traditional food is waning as my tastes change and I find more substitutes for meat and cheese.
Dry roasted and shredded oyster mushrooms taste very similar to bacon. If you coat with olive oil and salt even more so. But I'm not going back to oil so a spray of Braggs helps.

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Sounds yummy. While others were eating the usual Christmas fare, I had a traditional dressing with onions, celery, parsley cubed bread, salt pepper and a spray of Braggs amino acids. I made a mushroom gravy which I will improve upon by next year, and cranberry sauce sweetened with apple sauce/juice. Lots of veggies which I love.
The frozen banana ice cream (with tropical fruit) is amazing and tempted my daughter in law who is open to vegetarianism.
My son lived on beans and pasta for 6 months while studying in Ireland where meat is really expensive so I'm hoping to gradually influence their eating habits.
I live with a committed carnivore. Unfortunately little hope there but the temptation to join in on traditional food is waning as my tastes change and I find more substitutes for meat and cheese.
Dry roasted and shredded oyster mushrooms taste very similar to bacon. If you coat with olive oil and salt even more so. But I'm not going back to oil so a spray of Braggs helps.

Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Although we've gone vegatarian in the past, last year we started the Forks over Knives eating, then the 21-day jump start. We just finished the jumpstart program again and it had even more meaning for us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's contributions to making this a success. You're wonderful!!!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 288 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org