21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Husband is not going vegan with me
Created on: 04/29/13 09:18 PM Views: 3006 Replies: 13
Husband is not going vegan with me
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I'm going to start my kickstart in May and my husband will not be. I'm fine with that, but I don't know how I'm going to cook our dinners. We have two small children as well. I just want to know how other members have incorporated their change in eating and their family members who aren't changing.

RE: Husband is not going vegan with me
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Husbands are hard to convince sometimes, mine included. But two small children will eat what you feed them.

Hubby takes care of himself for breakfast and lunch. For dinner I sometimes cook completely separate meals, sometimes he eats what I cook, sometimes I just add a piece of chicken to his plate. There are some vegan meals he has learned to like. I'm not big on the meat substitutes but I have tried some of them on him and he likes them. I do all the cooking, and while I enjoy cooking what he likes, he eats whatever I cook, tells me how good it is and thanks me for it. You just have to figure out what strategy works for you and your husband.

As for the two small children, why not start them now eating a healthy plant based diet? Like I said, they'll eat what mom gives them!

There are many examples of spouses eventually following in the footsteps of their plant based partner once they see how successfully they have lost weight or reversed those pesky diseases that most people try to control with drugs! So be an example to him, don't give in and join him.

Vikki ~

Edited 04/30/13 4:05 PM
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Humm. Sounds like mine at first. He was determined he was going to eat meat. I just said fine... i can always cook a burger or a piece of chicken alongside my food.

So he thought on that for a couple of days and came back to me and said, " OK, here's the deal. I am going to eat whatever i want for breakfast & lunch. I fix those myself anyway. Then i will eat whatever you fix for dinner. YOu don't have to fix anything different. After all, whatever you fix will be food."

He did that for about a week. His favorite breakfast is burnt toast w/peanut butter & chocolate milk. He found he liked my chocolate almond milk MUCH better than his chocolate milk. So that went vegan easy.

Lunches turned out to be leftover dinners. So pretty soon he was eating a plant based diet.

Now we did have to work on texture sometimes. Like no creamed soups (per husband ~ baby food). We also found a good brand of tofu (woodstock farms) that he liked to cut up small cubes & fry in non-stick w/a little coconut oil until brown on all the sides. That way it wasn't so mushy.

We experimented w/bean patties till he found that i could make ones better than the boca burgers he used to like.

One day about 2 weeks into it, i was out of town for dinner. He calls to say, "i'm going to get meat and eat it." Well he did. He stopped & bought hamburg & steak. Lots of meat. Cooked it all and pigged out. He called to say how disappointed he was. It didn't taste as wonderful as he had expected. Now he knew he really wasn't giving up anything special.

The next step for him came soon there-after. While he was eating plant based vegan diet for about a month, he didn't know if he would commit for the rest of his life. THat seemed like a long time. So he told me, "ok i am going to this real strict. I won't eat any meat or dairy at all. I go to the doctor in 3 months. If my numbers don't change, I am going to eat meat."

His numbers did change. His PSA came into normal and his kidney function improved. More than that he can sleep thru the night without getting up 5-7 times, he doesn't have to know where every bathroom in town is, we can go to the movies, he hasn't been catherized since going vegan, and he has more energy now than ever.

he runs half marathons at least once a week, sometimes more. He runs a min of 7-8 miles 3x week and lifts weights for an hour 3-4 times a week. He doesn't poop out. He is in better shape than his 30 year old son.

It is the best thing we have ever done for ourselves. It is easy and the food is delicious.

sorry to ramble. HOpe you can find what works for your family. The breakfast & lunch worked at first w/mine.

Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Thank you so much for both of your inputs! I'm thinking I'll probably just add a meat product to his meals, but he said he supports me in this change. I'm hoping that he will taste some things that I cook, and find that he really likes them, and we get healthier as a family!

Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I've been following this way of eating for a few years and I wish I could say my husband has come around. I usually make two separate meals. My husband has been diagnosed as diabetic recently. I told him that I thought he could reverse it with diet if he does it now before he has to take insulin and sent him articles to back it up. He eats a very small variety of veggies so that's a hurdle too. It would be wonderful to cook one meal for the 4 of us.

Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I've been following this way of eating for a few years and I wish I could say my husband has come around. I usually make two separate meals. My husband has been diagnosed as diabetic recently. I told him that I thought he could reverse it with diet if he does it now before he has to take insulin and sent him articles to back it up. He eats a very small variety of veggies so that's a hurdle too. It would be wonderful to cook one meal for the 4 of us.

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I know how difficult this is.I have been vegetarian for most of my adult life but knew it was time to step away from the cheese!.I am 57 and in good health except for occasional migraines.very active type a with a lot of energy.(e.r. nurse)my long time significant other is 7 yrs younger than me.we have been together for 20 yrs now and i have watched him grow sicker each year due to his eating and smoking. He is 100lbs overweight with many joint issues,has a few cardiac stents,metabolic syndrome and hypertension. he is a hard worker and in pain all the time.we have even broken up a few times over this. I want so much for him to be healthy....but that isnt enough.he needs to want it too.It hurts to think that meat,cheese and cigarettes are more important than our life together and out time with our children and grandchild.but....some things are the way they are and you cannot change them.I recently told him I was no longer the food police and that his health was in his hands.I will always be there to help him but he has to ask. for this reason I am dedicating this month to the kickstart and focusing on me for once.like they tell you on the plane...put the plane...in case of an emergency place the o2 mask on yourselves first. I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to this journey with you all. lynn

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Hi, I had the same thing. I started on a vegan diet 11 weeks ago when I became involved in an 8 week diet study program at the University I work at. My husband and kids said "no way", so I started making separate meals for myself. Sometimes I wouldn't have to do much (make two pots of spaghetti sauce, for example, one with meat and one with veggies), or throw a black bean burger on the grill with their hamburgers. They've all been really supportive, but I just had to realize it was going to be extra work for me to be the only one on the diet. I thought it would be temporary - at the end of the 8 weeks things would go back to "normal" - but here I am at week 11 and still going vegan! I feel so much better without the dairy (I didn't eat too much meat to begin with), and have lost about 15 pounds. So I am continuing to fix my separate meals and buy my separate snacks and I'm not the least bit inconvenienced by it because the results are worth it!

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Hi, I had the same thing. I started on a vegan diet 11 weeks ago when I became involved in an 8 week diet study program at the University I work at. My husband and kids said "no way", so I started making separate meals for myself. Sometimes I wouldn't have to do much (make two pots of spaghetti sauce, for example, one with meat and one with veggies), or throw a black bean burger on the grill with their hamburgers. They've all been really supportive, but I just had to realize it was going to be extra work for me to be the only one on the diet. I thought it would be temporary - at the end of the 8 weeks things would go back to "normal" - but here I am at week 11 and still going vegan! I feel so much better without the dairy (I didn't eat too much meat to begin with), and have lost about 15 pounds. So I am continuing to fix my separate meals and buy my separate snacks and I'm not the least bit inconvenienced by it because the results are worth it!

Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I've been vegetarian for about 20 years, vegan for the last 2+ - I used to eat a yogurt once in awhile but no longer.

My husband has never given up meat. I don't care.

I love to cook, so there's no issues for me. I make his lunch everyday for him to bring to work, and cook 2 dinners every night. I also work full time and run a small farm as well.

It's easy to cook 2 dinners - I typically have whatever he is having and he gets meat as well. I don't mind cooking meat, just don't wanna eat it.

Best!

Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I've been vegetarian for about 20 years, vegan for the last 2+ - I used to eat a yogurt once in awhile but no longer.

I love to cook, so there's no issues for me. I make his lunch everyday for him to bring to work, and cook 2 dinners every night. I also work full time and run a small farm as well.

It's easy to cook 2 dinners - I typically have whatever he is having and he gets meat as well. I don't mind cooking meat, just don't wanna eat it.

Best!

Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Best!

Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I just came across this thread and absolutely love and appreciate the entries, especially Wild 4 Stars and cch22 responses! How they dealt patiently with spouse needs is exemplary, and seems to have turned in their favor after all.

I'm lucky because my husband and I turned veg together almost 40 years ago, then it became a vegan progression and that has been pretty easy as he loves everything I cook. And it ain't fancy! I'm a champion of recipe-free food preparation. Actually, that would make a great cookbook title for those like me - who love to eat, but cook? Not so much.

Keep us posted on how it all goes!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Great thread! I went through the same thing w/my hubby until we went on a holistic vegan cruise this past February. He listened to one of Dr. Barnard's lectures and started to change his thinking! He's not vegan or even vegetarian, but he does make much better choices now. We came to a compromise: I keep my kitchen "clean" of all animal products, cooking only vegan for him/us. When we go out to eat, he can have whatever he wants w/o recriminations from me. As a result, he's eating about 80% vegan and is feeling so much better! Smile

www.thevegangypsy.com

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 211 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org