21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Bariatric Surgery and Veganism
Created on: 09/27/13 01:33 PM Views: 1792 Replies: 5
Bariatric Surgery and Veganism
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I recently had bariatric surgery which reduced the volumn of my stomach by about 85%. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to get in the nutrition I need on a vegan diet, but I'm going to give it a try and track my food intake. I prefer vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, as well as for optimal health, but I'm eating meat at the moment because it seemed like my only option after surgery. I have been vegan in the past...on and off again. Has anyone else encountered this dilema?

RE: Bariatric Surgery and Veganism
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

There is a PCRM member physician who is a bariatric surgeon in Texas. He has some resources you may find interesting including his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/drgarth.

He also maintains a blog which may be helpful: http://www.thedavisclinic.com/blog.

He promotes a vegan diet for his patients.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM

claimmaster wrote:

I recently had bariatric surgery which reduced the volumn of my stomach by about 85%. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to get in the nutrition I need on a vegan diet, but I'm going to give it a try and track my food intake. I prefer vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, as well as for optimal health, but I'm eating meat at the moment because it seemed like my only option after surgery. I have been vegan in the past...on and off again. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma?

You'll just have to eat a lot more often, which you probably have to do anyway, and be careful to eat foods that are as nutrient dense as possible - which means that eating a whole food vegan diet is probably even better than the 'typical' way of eating (lots of empty calories).
Why do you think eating meat is your only option after surgery?
--DebR

Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I'm familiar with Dr. Garth. He seems to deal with a lot more bypass patients than vertical sleeve gastrectomy patients. Bypass patients can eat more.
As to why I felt I needed to eat meat after surgery is because they emphasize protein as your primary nutrient. Dense protein (beef, pork, etc...) is considered the best as it stays in the sleeve longer and keeps you full longer. I'm having to take a second look at all the protein though, because I just had lab tests come back that said my kidney function was getting worse. I'm already drinking over 100 oz. of liquids a day, so I knew it wasn't from lack of liquids. My next thought was high protein being the culprit. It's a real trial and error thing, trying to balance everything.

Posted Monday, September 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

claimmaster wrote:

As to why I felt I needed to eat meat after surgery is because they emphasize protein as your primary nutrient. Dense protein (beef, pork, etc...) is considered the best as it stays in the sleeve longer and keeps you full longer. I'm having to take a second look at all the protein though, because I just had lab tests come back that said my kidney function was getting worse. I'm already drinking over 100 oz. of liquids a day, so I knew it wasn't from lack of liquids. My next thought was high protein being the culprit. It's a real trial and error thing, trying to balance everything.

I would think higher fiber proteins and lower glycemic foods in general would work better - they digest slowly over time. Something like steel cut oats or millet tend to keep one feeling full all morning. Not sure how a 'sleeve' handles complex carbs or if something like that would contribute to 'dumping' type syndrome.

--DebR

Posted Monday, September 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I do dump, but only when I eat refined carbs and sugar. I'm finding that eating whole grains is not giving me any problems with carb cravings. (I'm a binge eater, and carbs can set me off.) I'm ready to go on this kickstart, and looking forward to the next 3 weeks!
Jane

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 366 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org