21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Turbinado sugar
Created on: 01/05/14 12:53 PM Views: 598 Replies: 4
Turbinado sugar
Posted Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Is natural turbinado sugar vegan? I've read the bag of some and it says that molasses is added to give it it's color. Does this mean it was first ground with bones or something to make it like white granulated sugar? Would molasses be a vegan way to sweeten my oatmeal? When I was little I refused to eat the oatmeal my mother gave me for breakfast. My Mom mentioned this to my doctor and he suggested adding some brown sugar to it. Since then I can't eat oatmeal without it. Since brown sugar is basically white sugar with molasses added to it, wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing as this turbinado sugar?

Jen

RE: Turbinado sugar
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM

dodink58 wrote:

Is natural turbinado sugar vegan? I've read the bag of some and it says that molasses is added to give it it's color. Does this mean it was first ground with bones or something to make it like white granulated sugar? Would molasses be a vegan way to sweeten my oatmeal? When I was little I refused to eat the oatmeal my mother gave me for breakfast. My Mom mentioned this to my doctor and he suggested adding some brown sugar to it. Since then I can't eat oatmeal without it. Since brown sugar is basically white sugar with molasses added to it, wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing as this turbinado sugar?

Jen

Commercial brown sugar is white sugar (generally bleached with bone char) with molasses added back in. That's not the same thing as raw sugar where the molasses was not removed and it was not bleached. I generally use evaporated cane juice as my crystalline sugar of choice. If I need brown sugar for something, I add 1 tbl. of molasses per cup of evaporated cane juice (give or take depending on application and how strong I want the flavor).

Molasses is a very strong flavor by itself but sure, if that works for you, give it a try. You might also consider REAL maple syrup (not the colored and flavored corn syrup 'pancake syrup') as a sweetener for oatmeal.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Hi,
I remember when I was a child my mom couldn't get me to eat oatmeal without brown sugar. I just didn't like the stuff at all.

When I started eating plant strong, everyone said....eat oatmeal.. it is so good for you.

I have learned to like it by looking for alternative ways to sweeten it.

1) Walnuts & maple syrup
2) peeled, cored & diced apple is surprisingly good.
3) raisins either cooked with the oatmeal or added after
4) a friend grew up using applesauce.
5) banana & walnut

I add soy milk to most of them.. it's not so clumpy.

so I thought outside of the box I was in, and found oatmeal is a blank canvas.. put in there what you like and it's much better.

Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Yes it is a 'blank canvas' (kinda like pancakes) - I put cinnamon, pecans, dried cranberries or raisins, and a little almond milk and agave on mine. Hubby does peanut butter (the real kind, just unsalted peanuts), vegan chocolate chips, and raisins on his. I like having some dried fruit and/or nuts to give a little something to chew to the texture. Sometimes I do cinnamon and maple syrup and pecans.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I bet peanut butter and banana would be good! I will have to give it a try.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 241 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org