21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: green glamour smoothie serving
Created on: 01/05/14 11:45 AM Views: 1014 Replies: 5
green glamour smoothie serving
Posted Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Quick question: I made the green glamour smoothie in my Nutribullet (Day 5 breakfast) as the recipe states (delicious!) but it states it makes 3 cups...is that one serving or 3? Since it replaces a meal, maybe the whole 3 cups are what carries us for the morning? Help? I don't know if the nutritional facts are for the whole thing or just 1 cup.

RE: green glamour smoothie serving
Posted Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

It's 2 delicious servings! Hubby loves it toooo. Smile

Posted Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM

ok, 2 servings for that recipe. Does anyone know how to count it for Weight Watcher points? Do you count the fruits/veg (because traditionally with the WW Points Plus program most fruit/veg are 0PPV) and just count the soymilk? Otherwise going off the nutritional facts it's a 10 point recipe as the whole thing. Shocked

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I don't know how to do it with WW points! The philosophy behind the Kickstart is that everything is healthful, so there is no need to put limits on intake. But I'm sure you could calculate points by doing what you said: considering the ingredients.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I have a green smoothie right after a hard workout, but I have no weight/insulin issues. Here is what Dr. Esselstyn advises re fruit juice and smoothies: ""Fruit juice - What about fruit juice?
Drinking fruit juice is like pouring the sugar bowl down your throat. It is fine to eat the whole fruit. Do not drink the juice.

Smoothies - How about smoothies? I love them!
Avoid smoothies. The fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are potentially compromised. The sugar is separated from the fiber of the fruit, bypasses salivary digestion and results in a surge of glucose. The accompanying fructose contributes to inflammation, hypertension and endothelial injury."

Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I think for people who would otherwise eat fewer (or no) fruits and vegetables, a smoothie is a great option. I do advocate more for using a blender as opposed to a juicer so that the fiber is still present. As to it being so finely mixed that you miss part of the digestive process, there are some ways you can step up the game. For example, don't blend it until it is thin and liquified; keep it more chunky. You will drink the smoothie more slowly and possibly engage in some chewing action as well. I find this to be especially true because I use a cheaper blender (blades and motor aren't that great!) AND because I add vegetables like kale which don't puree so easily.

Good advice for anyone who is having trouble losing weight is to avoid drinking calories. It's very easy to throw 500 calories down your throat and not even know it. It's not as easy to eat 500 calories worth of fruits and vegetables!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 386 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org