21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Created on: 01/13/13 02:53 PM Views: 31528 Replies: 103
RE: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Have you got a blender or food processor? I tried the recipe for homemade hummus on the plan the other day and was amazed at how quick and simple it was to make. It tastes really good and uses no oil.

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Also forgot to mention that the food processor I have is an absolute mini one. I bought a small can of chickpeas - that with the other ingredients it was able to cope with. Good luck - I know others will come up with some great ideas.

Posted Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Smilewell here it is the begining of week 2 for me and I still have a full fridge and a full stomach! My wieght seems to have leveled off with no wieght loss today which I pretty much figured it would, I hope to see a more blanaced loss during the upcoming weeks but again this is not a diet but a life syle!

I have always been a heavy evening snacker and have to find substitutes that fill my taste and urges and that will be my focus this week.

I have found a community pool about 1 km from here and am planning to sign up for a once a week poll excersize program(they have it three times but im starting slow). This type of thing is so unlike me but maybe I can carry this "way of life" journey to other things as well.

Keep up the program and many thanks for your support and comments Wink

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

ronjenk wrote:

I have always been a heavy evening snacker and have to find substitutes that fill my taste and urges and that will be my focus this week.

Sometimes I'll grab a 1/2 cup or so of cooked chickpeas (we cook a bunch when we make hummus and such and stash some for other meals and things), sprinkle with a wee bit of sea salt and munch them kinda like peanuts. Really good for that "I want the crunchy/salty/nutty" type snack attack.

Good, baked corn tortilla chips with a nice salsa (check labels always) makes a nice snack - I just have to make sure I take some chips in a bowl and don't just munch straight from the bag or I'll eat the lot without noticing!

Hummus and veggies (carrot sticks, celery sticks, bell pepper slices) or a nice multi grain cracker (label check) is a nice snack.

A bit of homemade granola is nice, depending on how the rest of my day has been as far as fat and such - when I make granola it's toasted rolled oats, chopped pecans and almonds, flaked unsweetened coconut, raisins, dried cranberries, other dried fruit when I have it/can afford it, real maple syrup for sweet, and crumbled cocoa nibs. So, it has a fair amount of both sugar and fat. Which is fine if I've had an otherwise low fat/sugar day or did an extra long workout or something.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Good Morning all! Another day with a spot on blood level reading in fact I cant remember ever starting a morning this low (healthy low) Very Happy. Bonus was another pound gone making 7 lbs gone in 9 days! I am surprising myself at how good I have been at sticking to this and my cravings for junk food seem to be lessining.

A big thank you to all, I know I cant do this on my own. I have never been any where close to being called a "health nut" and since we arent supose to eat nuts I have to think of a good name for me!

This week I will try and broaden my evening meal varity as I am starting to get into a menu rut and limiting myself too much.

This week too I look forward to Wink

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Congratulations on your results. Great to see positive changes so quickly. I'm starting day 6 and already down almost 5 pounds and first fasting blood sugar under 100 in a long time.

I'm new to this too, at first I strictly just followed the menu, but have been looking to other cookbooks and online resources for ideas and recipes for more variety and options. I enjoy cooking so its a big adventure for me. Haven't tried eating out yet, but reading about what to look for and what to ask for.

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Forgot to include this: I had my first night out with freinds at a local resturant and from the advice I recived here, I asked if they could alter the selection (veal on cream based fetichinni, only thing close to what I wanted). They gladly left out the veal and put tomato meatless sauce on my pasta (also charged me same price as the veal dish but thats fair ball).

That was a first for me, I never would have spoken up if I hadent gotten the idea and support from here.

Again thanks so much!

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Can anyone suggest a meat substitue that doesnt taste or resemble dog food? Only kind of kidding. I havent found any vegies burgers, veggie meat subsitiutes that I enjoy. The brands I have tried are terrible (to me anyway) and are exspensive. I really dont miss meat that much but would like to find a reasonable substitute.

So far the only recipie I have tried from here is the smoothy (once only but liked it). I am what you would call a lazy or dissinterested cook! Other then making vegetable soups (tomato juice with lots of veggies, rice or pasta, most of my evening meals are salad, rice, pasta or baked beans with a pile of cooked either fresh or frozen veggies.

The results have been fantatic but am hoping to do some realy really simple recipies this week (even bought a couple books to get ideas from).

I may end up writing a book called "the I'm not a cook vegan diagetic" recipie book jk

Any other "non cooks" out there struggling? Wink

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Try Dr. Praeger's tex-mex or California veggie burgers for store bought. There are some decent recipes online. Check out Jeff Novick's.

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Try Dr. Praeger's tex-mex or California veggie burgers for store bought. There are some decent recipes online. Check out Jeff Novick's.

Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM

ronjenk wrote:

Can anyone suggest a meat substitue that doesnt taste or resemble dog food?

We tried a few when we first went plant-based, and I have to agree. They all tasted horrible. We just gave up looking for replacements and moved onto all the wonderful plant foods we could eat.

ronjenk wrote:

I am what you would call a lazy or dissinterested cook!

The results have been fantatic but am hoping to do some realy really simple recipies this week.

I strongly suggest Jeff Novick's Fast Food DVD's. All the meals can be made in 10-15 minutes with little effort. Here is a link to his first one The Basics He also has 2 other videos you can get through this site too.

Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for the feed back on fake meats. TAlking to a long term vegan last night he told me people often use meat substitutes as transition food and I suddenly realised I really didnt need to do that. Other then occasional (rare cravings for pork, I find I really dont miss the animal products that much so will cease to seek out meat pretenders! I will wade through the veggie dogs, cutlets and burgers I have in the freezer and smother them in tomatto sauce to make them palatable and move on.

I have a vegan freind coming over to cook me lunch to show me how easy some recipies can be, so look forward to that.

My quest for eveing meal simple menues continues and I thank you all for your input.

The real test of my vegan transistion will come in two weeks when I leave for a two week buisness trip and will eat out most meals. Wink

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Anyone exsperincing the need for more fiber with this change in menu?

I started taking a fiber suplament which helps things out and will try increasing my fiber intake with other foods.

Blood levels and holding steady with a slight wieght loss.

Have discovered the joys of salsa which should add more flavor to my menu and also low fat chips (baked corn). Also found a brand of froxen all fruit bars.

Task today is to find more "sprinkle on food for taste and health" things. Welcome suggestions. I miss cheese!

Many thanks

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM

ronjenk wrote:

Task today is to find more "sprinkle on food for taste and health" things. Welcome suggestions. I miss cheese!

Many thanks

Nutritional yeast makes a nice parmesan-like substitute to sprinkle on. Great on popcorn or sprinkled on pasta.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Thanks for the yeast tip...how about wheat germ for health needs? I have read pros and cons on that one Very Happy

Edited 01/24/13 8:37 AM
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

ronjenk wrote:

Thanks for the yeast tip...how about wheat germ for health needs? I have read pros and cons on that one Very Happy

If you're eating actual whole wheat, the germ should still be in there, no need to eat it separately. Wheat germ (as a separate thing) is what they take OUT of the wheat when they mill it into flour and separate the white starchy endosperm from the germ and the bran. Kind of smart business wise - take one wheatberry and get THREE products to sell out of it - white flour, wheat germ and bran (for cereal flakes). But, if you just stick with actual whole wheat (wheatberries can be cooked like barley in soup or like oats for a hot breakfast).
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

There are some good spice mixes to sprinkle on food. I like Mrs Dash southwest chipolte. Penzy's also has some good mixes - my kids love Sandwich Sprinkles and Mural of Flavor (similar to the first, but salt free). They sprinkle on veggies, popcorn, rice, pasta, etc. If you don't have a Penzy's store near you, they also sell online.

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Good morning vegans! Everything is holding steady this morning (weight and blood work) and feeling great.

I found an online store to order some of the hard to get things in my area like nutritional yeast and agave as well as a subsitiute mao. The place is in Canada and offeres free shipping after $30...lots there... here is the web site: www.well.ca and prices seem ok (I dont have a car so expect to pay a bit more online)

Also found a great looking recipe for mac and cheese and cant wait for the yeast to arrive to try it.

One more day will finish two weeks on this program and I think its been the longest I have tried something like this but find it relativly easy to do. I am not an excersize person but can proudly say I had my first 45 min pool aquafit class yesterday and had to walk 1 k eash way to get there!

Again thanks ofor the interest and support, keep the stories about your journey coming in as it helps all of us Wink

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

In Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, in the menus and recipes section,one of the breakfasts includes "apple-cider maple syrup" for use on pancakes but nowhere is there a recipe for that item. Perhaps it is just a 1:1 combination of the two ingredients. Does anyone know if that is the case or if there is something else involved?

email
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Today I am treating myself to a meal out at a nearby Chineese resturant (I really need to get more coragous to expland my menu varity!

Two weeks in today and havent fallen off the vegan wagon!

Everything holding steady but still having some constipation but will give my system time and try eating more fiber.

I recently had my glasses perscription changed and found that before thie "way of life" my blood sugar was making it difficult to get true vision readings and had to go back 3 times before I and the doctor realised what was going on. After a week of the kickstart program my blood readings normalized and so didnt my vision so was able to get the needed vison perscription.

Found a take out pizza site that sells gluten free pizza and your able to choose what you want on it. Any comments about this...the site ifs Domino's pizza.

Have a great day all!

Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 893 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org