21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: No oil
Created on: 06/21/13 09:23 AM Views: 947 Replies: 3
No oil
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I wonder what others think about Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD's stance one should add no oil to one's food? For example, I don't eat olives, yet like a bit of oilve oil on a fiber rich salad. What's the difference if the oil is sparse and the nutrition is high in other ingredients? Thanks!

RE: No oil
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM

PCRM suggests no added oils as well. This allows your fat sources to come from whole foods, and in a percentage range (approx 10 percent) shown to reduce one's risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

He explains the reasoning in his book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and on his website Heartattackproof.com. You can also see him talk on the subject in several videos on YouTube. He's very convincing and his reasons compelling. Scared me straight!!

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I admit I'm feeling rather discouraged for the first time--I use both balsamic vinegar and Nayonaise on sandwiches/salads--switched from Vegenaise to Nayonaise b/c of lower fat, tho soybean oil is 2nd ingredient.....my work schedule is very demanding and I've been eating organic vegan sandwiches and quinoa salads that are made at the local health food shop, due to time constraints.....maybe a vitamix will help me decrease oil intake....

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 486 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org