21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: little to no weight loss
Created on: 08/06/13 09:53 PM Views: 2138 Replies: 8
little to no weight loss
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Greetings! I first tried the kickstart in January and have about 98 percent stuck with it. Once in a while like twice since then I have had seafood. I do not eat dairy and no meat. I don't use oil. I follow as close to whole food as possible. My cholesterol has dropped to normal Smile

but... I am not really dropping weight. I suppose since January maybe 5 to 8 pounds - that is only like a pound a month?

I was diagnosed hypothyroid and my levels are now good - that is in May. the last of may first of june I had a very bad asthma bout - not typically on ANY medication for it but went on vacay and got very sick with allergies etc., so was on Prednisone until mid July.

am pretty discouraged with the lack of weight loss. I also cycle oh between 25 and 100 miles a week depending on job demands - am doing the CO Tour de Cure in two weeks a 62 mile ride - cycling would be SO much easier with less weight!

I easily have 50 - 60 pounds to drop!

help? Smile Confused

RE: little to no weight loss
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 6:45 AM

What are you expecting? a couple pounds per month is a fairly slow, stable, sustainable way to lose weight - it took years to get on, it's not leaving in days. Also, steroidal meds like prednisone can add pounds so the time you were on them doesn't "count" as far as weight loss - it would be very unlikely that you'd lose any weight while on them. For that matter, the combination of steroids and heavy exercise is how athletes "bulk up". Keep at it and the pounds will slowly come off (now that you're off steroids).

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

yes I know the loss would be slow and gradual typically I read that a pound or so a week is gradual and healthy - but this isn't even that - January to now is eight months - my loss is less than a pound a month - ya the steroid medication sucked for sure Sad

the no meat and dairy is a given for me now - meat actually is gross to me now - so its not like i'm ready to throw in a towel or anything like that - just believe I am missing something here not getting something...

pedal on.... Laughing

Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I appreciate your frustration, pedal power! I've known quite
A few people have weight struggles correlated w/ prednisone and/or hypothyroidism. Congrats on all the positive health changes Very Happy Very Happy And sticking to a vegan lifestyle despite a number of significant challenges! For me, portion controll can be problematic, especially when under particular stress and/or very tired--could that be an issue for you, too?

Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

When Vegan Is Not Enough

Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Another Good One

Healthy! Organic! Natural! Vegan! Gluten-Free! Light! Don't Get Caught in the Buzzword Trap and How to Read Labels

Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Thanks Jodi - good reading material for sure. Smile

Posted Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hi Pedalpower, I was on a vegan diet for 8 months before I lost any weight. I then changed my diet to lose the vegan junk food and then I lost about 18 lbs in 12 months. I'm a female so that 18 lbs was a little harder than my husband's 18 lbs. Try changing to multi-grain products with high fiber, try to eat more veggies, then fruit, then potatoes/pasta
/rice/corn/hot cereal, etc. Let me know how this works. Good luck!

Posted Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hi Pedalpower, I was on a vegan diet for 8 months before I lost any weight. I then changed my diet to lose the vegan junk food and then I lost about 18 lbs in 12 months. I'm a female so that 18 lbs was a little harder than my husband's 18 lbs. Try changing to multi-grain products with high fiber, try to eat more veggies, then fruit, then potatoes/pasta
/rice/corn/hot cereal, etc. Let me know how this works. Good luck!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 194 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org