21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: white sugar and oils
Created on: 03/15/13 03:09 AM Views: 1639 Replies: 4
white sugar and oils
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to be active on here again, it's never too late right? There's always continuation for the journey towards a healthy, happy vegan life. That's my main goal anyway!

I'd like to know why sugar is not vegan. How does one know of this to be for sure / fact? When I go to Starbucks for example, are the regular white sugar packets non-vegan..but the brown packets that seem to be 'organic' or raw sugar, are these okay?

I don't have caffeine, but in a simple glass of soy or almond milk, I like to sweeten it myself with some sugar. I'm not sure if I should use something else instead.

Lastly, what oils are good for our heart and body, and what oils are we to avoid? I know anything that is partially-hydrogenated - this means trans-fat, yes? So how about olive oil, canola, peanut, palm oil, the list goes on!! Do we NEED oils to be healthy, or can we get our omega 3, 6, 9 in other ways? I only know of fish =(

RE: white sugar and oils
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I'll let someone else answer the sugar question as I do not know.

As for oils, NO PROCESSED OILS. Meaning no olive oil, canola oil, peanut, palm or anything else. Not even the new darling of the "health" set - coconut oil. It is the most highly processed and nutrient deficient food you can eat. Eat whole foods and you will get the fats you need. There is nothing healthy about olive oil. Google Jeff Novick Olive Oil and you'll find a video on YouTube that is informative and entertaining.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Sugar can be processed with bone. Not that there is bone in the sugar, but it's used in the processing. Some vegans will avoid sugar for this reason. Some white sugars do not use bone, though. If you Google vegan sugar, I'm sure you can easily find the big brands that do not. Otherwise, you can buy "Vegan Sugar" at Whole Foods or choose turbinado sugar which has not gone through this process.

Most brown sugar has been stripped with the brown color added back in - turbinado sugar never had the molasses removed in the first place.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Vegan sugar? bone in sugar? what?!!! lol I assumed all sugar was vegan Oops!..learn something new everyday..Thank you!!

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Fomer0506 wrote:

Vegan sugar? bone in sugar? what?!!! lol I assumed all sugar was vegan Oops!..learn something new everyday..Thank you!!

There's no bone IN the sugar but they can use bone char to bleach it (Kind of like filtering water through charcoal for purification)

DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 213 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org