21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: What's for Thanksgiving?
Created on: 11/18/13 11:37 AM Views: 929 Replies: 7
What's for Thanksgiving?
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

What's everyone having for Thanksgiving? It will be falling between "Kickstarts" but that doesn't mean we have to forget about what we eat! I'm definately going to have some rainbow squash stuffed with wild rice. It's a recipe I got from this site last year and just love it! One thing I WON'T be having is tofurky. I tried that last year and didn't care for it, like most of the fake meats. But then, there are just so many fruits and veggies I love, I won't need it to fill me up!

Jen

Edited 11/18/13 11:40 AM
RE: What's for Thanksgiving?
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Do you have a link to the recipe? It sounds interesting. Thanks.

Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The Tofurkey roast wasn't a hit with me either. However, the Trader Joe's Turkey-Less Stuffed Roast with Gravy is delicious. They only carry them for Thanksgiving, so I purchased one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas since I do cook a turkey for the carnivores. (my husband cleans and stuffs it)
The Trader Joe's holiday roast is 4 grams of fat/serving without the gravy which is 2.5. Not bad for a holiday splurge. My son likes it too.

Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

We've already had our Thanksgiving up in Canada (our Thanksgiving is always in October). I hadn't really started the Kickstart yet at that point, but I didn't eat any meat - I stuck with veggie options and there was more than enough food for me: roasted brussels sprouts with seasonings, veggie stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, kale & swiss chard with various seasonings, etc. It was one of the tastiest Thanksgivings in recent memory.

Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Also forgot to add: I've never tried Tofurkey, so I have no idea if I'd like it or not. I usually stay away from the fake meats, but I don't mind them once in a blue moon (I tried some tasty samples at a vegetarian food festival a couple of months ago; the last time before that was many years ago).

But now that I've read about that rainbow squash stuffed with wild rice, I'll have to try to find that recipe - it sounds really good!

Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Delicata Squash Stuffed with Holiday Rice
(or Rainbow or Acorn Squash)

2 cups Imagine Foods No-Chicken Broth (or vegetable
broth with 1 teasoon poultry seasoning)
1 cup wild rice blend (or 1/2 cup wild rice & 1/2 cup
long-grain brown rice)
2 medium Delicata Squash
1 medium shallot, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
2 Tablespoons pecans, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley (optional)

Bring broth to a boil. Add rice, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and stringy stuff. Place face down on parchment lined baking sheet for 30-40 minutes until tender when poked with a fork.

Toast pecans. Place pecans in a small skillet and cook over medium heat until fragrant and just beginning to darken. Remove, cool, and chop.

Saute shallot & celery with 2 Tablespoons water in a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat until soft and slightly golden. Add a bit more water as necessary, but do allow the vegetables to brown slightly.

When rice is done, stir in celery & Shallot mixture, cranberries and half of parsley into pot of rice. Fill squash boats with rice and top with pecans and sprinkle of parsley.

Here's the squash recipe. I've used Zatarain's wild rice mixture in this recipe very successfully. You can subtitute a variety of squash, or I have also used the Holiday rice as a side not stuffed in a squash.

Jen

Edited 11/18/13 9:26 PM
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the recipe - I'll definitely need to try making that soon! Smile

Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds great!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 498 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org