21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vegan poptarts?
Created on: 03/15/13 03:13 AM Views: 1087 Replies: 2
Vegan poptarts?
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM

I've been wanting to get a box of my favourite snack/breakfast foods and I know these aren't persay the healthiest things, but they are better than just eating candy bars or chips! And I believe they are fortified with b-vitamins and minerals.

My question is to make sure if there are any vegan kinds. I was looking in the store today and all of them (frosted varieties) contained gelatin...even if something says 'kosher gelatin' this is still definitely NOT vegan, right? I just wanted to be sure. I'm a bit sad, I really miss pop-tarts!

RE: Vegan poptarts?
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Actually there are brands of candy that are vegan - vegan "gummy bears," marshmallows, hard candy, etc. I would imagine they are not common in mainstream stores. You might have to go to a health food store, Whole Foods, or order from the internet.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Vegan poptarts?
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

make your own - they're pretty simple and you can tailor them to your favorite flavor. We've used this recipe in the past but there are probably others online: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pocket-pies-recipe/index.html

The recipe calls for shortening - get some non-hydrogenated shortening (Spectrum brand is one I know, there may be others). Scroll down to the instructions for "toaster pastries" unless you want to bake up the lot at one time. There's milk called for but plant milk works fine. It also calls for an egg but that's for the egg wash, which is not essential - you can use a little extra plant milk or some water to help seal the edges instead of egg. While there is added shortening involved, it's not a whole lot per pastry (6 tbls in the whole recipe, 10-12 toaster pastries) so as an occasional "running late, grab'n'go it's fine but as a several per day snack, not so much.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 236 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kittens09

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org