21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: bloating
Created on: 03/14/13 08:40 PM Views: 2235 Replies: 4
bloating
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Hi,

I'm vegan many years, and always suffering from bloating, my stomach simply sticks out and especially after eating, besides this, I'm thin (116lb 5'5'') and not interested to loose weight, do you have any suggestions as a vegan that can help?
Thanks,

RE: bloating
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Any particular foods you have noticed contribute to the bloating? For some, avoiding raw foods, cooking vegetables longer, even cooking fruits helps. If legumes cause bloating, smaller varieties, more soaking, longer cooking, and adding ingredients like kombu or baking soda can help break them down more in the pot.

Smaller bites, more chewing, and a brief walk after eating could also help.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Thank you for the reply
I'm not sure wich food I think a lot of things,for example almost all beans (only the azuki beans are OK)so for a long time I had soymilk and tofu instead of the beans, then I think there is problem with many vegetables, for example lettuce, kale, all the crucifiers but not only these, actually any big salads, also smoothies, or if I eat for example 3 fruits in a meal,
I once went to consult a dietician and he told me that it might be the high fiber content in the vegan food, he also said nuts may cause also a problem and suggested to eat small quantities of vegetables in each meal (only 1 vegetable in a meal) and less fruits (no more then one in a day), so again I dont know if such a small quantity is enough nutrition?, and it is a challenge and although I'm many years vegan I still dont know how to solve it.

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Have smaller quantities more frequently rather than large salads and meals with lots of beans. Eat slowly as well and don't drink anything with the food, especially not warm beverages (I know some folks like my dad will have a cup of coffee or tea with their meal). Have your beverage after the meal. Drinking generally introduces air into the process which can contribute to bloating. Have you tried lentils instead of beans as a protein? They tend to be less gaseous generally (YMMV).

--DebR

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think you are both right, I will try your advice.
Thank you Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 141 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org