21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: chocolate cravings and vegan substitutes!
Created on: 02/27/14 02:07 AM Views: 631 Replies: 7
chocolate cravings and vegan substitutes!
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Sorry all, I feel bad that I post so much on here lol. It's just that, to be vegan and make this transition, means SO much to me and is my major resolution for this year! And so far I've been doing better than I thought, it's proven to be easier with time! and of course all of your advice, support and insights.

Today was so difficult with chocolate cravings. I know there are many vegan options but I just wanted all the .. ah, not good things... hersheys and reese's and the worst part is they are everywhere! the first thing you see when you check out at the supermarket, my classmates, then the kids at the elementary schools, it's very hard.

When the chocolate craving hits, I've only been able to come up with dried nuts / fruit mixes, trail mixes, maybe cereal bars that are vegan but...too processed for my liking.

RE: chocolate cravings and vegan substitutes!
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 5:17 AM

The way I see it you have 2 choices. Just tough it out and beat the craving. Or find yourself a good quality vegan dark chocolate and allow yourself a small square or bite of it as a treat now and then. If a small piece would satisfy your craving then you're fine, if it would take the entire bar or a large portion to kill the craving you may be best just abstaining and letting the craving go.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Nothing wrong with a 70% dark chocolate square with an espresso, coffee or tea for desert. We often do just that as desert is the final course of dinner in France.

Your problem is shared by most Americans which is their addition to cheap, poisonous junk food. I do pity folks who live in such an unhealthy environment. However, you must choose your path, not the one that is laid out there for you for profit. You must learn that corporations can only be interested in profit and nothing more.

Read "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss" which is now in paperback. Then read Pandora's Lunchbox, Junk Food Deficiency, The China Study, etc.

Your role can be that of a leader. Inform yourself about how the world works. You don't have to say anything. Why the dog didn't bark is just as powerful as why the dog barked, n'est ce pas?

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I used to need a chocolate treat after Every meal. After going a 2 week period without any sweets, sugar, sugar substitutes of any kind, chocolate, and food with "natural flavors", my chocolate cravings were gone. I no longer need, want, crave, or think about chocolate. I don't feel I am missing anything. My delicious plant-based food is enough. I feel more at ease. My taste buds changed so a piece of fruit tastes delicious and satisfying. I don't have the energy crash after eating sweets. My energy level is good and its even all day. I am free! Whatever you decide to try, cold turkey, or otherwise, good luck!

Edited 02/27/14 7:59 AM
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I love good dark chocolate - and one of the key things about it is that a good chocolate is not to be munched down but is supposed to be just slightly broken down then savored as it slowly melts (cocoa butter melts at about body temperature). That slow rolling around on the tongue brings out the flavor notes of wherever the cacao came from, fruity/berry, spicy, etc. Lately, we've been making our own 'chocolate bars' from coconut oil, raw cocoa powder, and local dark maple syrup plus a dash of cinnamon or cayenne or a nuts & dried fruit sprinkle or a sprinkle of crumbled cacao nibs on top. A wee square of that is enough for a whole day's satisfaction. It also makes a good coating for nut butter granola balls we make (which end up similar to something like a Kudos bar but without all the fractionated and pseudo 'healthy' ingredients and such).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

wow, this is great and very inspiring to read!
Haha, well - I know many people love and get used to the dark chocolate. but honestly I'd rather avoid that, just not favourable to my palette! I think I will try this 2 week palette cleanse - with no chocolates or added sugars.

just hoping that most crisps and potato chips are vegan too - seems like they are making more healthy alternatives, i think the salty / peppery flavours will help to curb the cravings too.

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM

check the labels - look for hydrogenated oils, look for whey and milk fat (often used in baked goods and they are milk derivatives), look for high fructose corn syrup and other added sugars, those are things you do not want.

There are some good baked rice crisps and such that are pretty good as far as ingredients.

--DebR

Posted Friday, February 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Also, when it comes to reading labels you'll want to be wary of "natural flavours". Those "natural flavours" might be plant-based or might be animal-based.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 311 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org