21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Short women and calories
Created on: 03/14/13 05:20 PM Views: 2491 Replies: 9
Short women and calories
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hi everyone

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. But after reading Janelosing's thread, I'm curious, do we shorter women (I'm 4'11" with lots of abdominal fat too) need to count calories as well? In order to lose weight that is. I have 40 -60 lbs to lose. I do exercise regulary, well have been for the past few weeks anyway, just starting to make changes to my diet now.

My understanding was that if I kept my fat intake to no more than 10 percent, and avoided the refined carbohydrates(and kept things vegan of course) quanity did not matter so much. Sad
*sigh, us shorties always have to work a bit harder don't we.

RE: Short women and calories
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Stick with the dietary changes you have committed to and see what happens. If you lose no more than 1-2 pounds a week, then you are doing it right! Consider further changes once you see a long-term plateau of no weight loss without being at your goal.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Cheers Susan Smile Will do.

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM

As someone who is also 4'11", I'll let you know that you don't have to count calories as long as you are doing this low-fat vegan lifestyle. I've lost a total of 35 pounds in the past ten years when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes so I am now at my ideal body weight. However, I wanted my percent body fat to go down so when I did the kickstart in January. I ate SO much food to really test what was said, that quality not quantity mattered. I didn't gain a pound and I lost inches in my thighs and hips. It works Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hi Amanda,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is just the encouragement I need.

I'll be doing a gradual tranistion since I can't afford to throw out the food that is in the kitchen. I'll finish off what I have,but anything new that I buy will follow my new eating guidelines.

So within a month I hope to see more energy and a pound or two lost. I'm really excited, and relieved to be releasing my grip on all the foods that have been keeping me so unhealthy. A bit nervous too, I do get emotionally attatched to food. I am re-reading Dr.Barnard's Breaking the Food Seduction at the moment - I did read it when it first came out, but it clearly was not the right time I guess.

Thank you again for this forum.

And a "go team short women!" Wink

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

cricket wrote:

Hi Amanda,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is just the encouragement I need.

I'll be doing a gradual tranistion since I can't afford to throw out the food that is in the kitchen. I'll finish off what I have,but anything new that I buy will follow my new eating guidelines.

So within a month I hope to see more energy and a pound or two lost. I'm really excited, and relieved to be releasing my grip on all the foods that have been keeping me so unhealthy. A bit nervous too, I do get emotionally attatched to food. I am re-reading Dr.Barnard's Breaking the Food Seduction at the moment - I did read it when it first came out, but it clearly was not the right time I guess.

Thank you again for this forum.

And a "go team short women!" Wink

I ate what I had down in my kitchen too - being almost completely vegan before, it wasn't a lot. But by reading books by Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard, I quickly learned that I was a very unhealthy vegan with my olive oil and fake meats and such. I also re-read the books too because they keep reminding me why I'm doing this.
I hope you stick around here too, its nice to find someone else full grown at my size Wink Everyone tells me I look young for my age (I'm talking by 10 years or more) and I say its what I eat!

- Amanda

Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM

An advantage of being short is that weight loss shows on your frame faster. I'm not short and it seems like it takes longer to go down a size in terms of pounds lost compared to a shorter person. Still happy for the weight loss and gains in energy, though!

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hi Amanda and Deborah,

Oh yes, I plan on sticking around. Smile

It's interesting, when I was 20 and people assumed I was 13, naturally I hated it. I thought when I was in my 40s I'd appreciate looking younger - but at 42 I want credit for being 42! Especially at work, when visiting execs would just assume I was a newbie without much experience *sigh.

Weight loss showing sooner sounds encouraging though Deborah, funny I have seen much taller friends lose weight, and I've lost weight before....I'll pay closer attention this time, you're probably right.

As for my new way of eating- since all my test results came back normal, I'm aiming for progress not perfection. Eliminating all the animal products has proved not too difficult since my diet was 80 percent vegan, but giving up some of the easy and cheap vegan fare, not quite ready. So peanut butter remains, and not quite ready to give up my black coffee with sugar. Well, perfection is the enemy of the good, as my husband likes to remind me when I get overly self critical and annoyingly obssesed with food. So working out regulary and eating a lower fat vegan diet is where I am at right now - and that's okay with me.

Thanks again everyone. Smile I really appreciate the encouragment and camaraderie . Go Us!

Edited 03/19/13 11:00 AM
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM

cricket wrote:

As for my new way of eating- since all my test results came back normal, I'm aiming for progress not perfection.

That is key! I plan on sticking with the vegan aspect of this lifestyle completely (health benefits are a fabulous bonus but my main reason for going vegan was not wanting to eat animals) but the low-fat part I cheat on occasionally. Those are my "social" splurges like rich soy ice cream shakes or the tasty-but-not-actually-healthy vegan restaurant. I stick to this program greater than 95% of the time so I know the fat will come off in time and I'm so much more healthy than I was before no matter how long it takes to trim down some.

- Amanda

Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hi Amanda,

I completley agree, the weight loss will be a nice bonus - but already, I feel better , physically and about my lowered impact on animal suffering.

I originally became a vegan in my 20s only for my love of animals and ate plenty of vegan junk food. I strayed from being a vegan when I met my meat eating husband. Maybe I was seduced by the smell of a quarter pounder with cheese, maybe I wanted to be so less than perfectly good for awhile. Now happily back to my vegan ways, and just as much in love with my husband, who eats an accidentaly partial vegan diet but still loves his bacon and burgers. I guess I needed to be reminded how comforting eating the food of our childhood can be, that meat can be addictive, one burger can lead to the craving for another. That no one should ever tell another person how they should eat. Now I can be true to my emotional and physical needs and respect and have compassion for his, and he has a true appreciation for my way of eating.

Last night I sauteed veggies and potatoes with veggie broth, with it we had whole grain vegan pancakes with pumpkin pie spice and vanilla - no fat, I had tempeh stips and he had pig bacon(cooked separately) and we were both very happy. Just a little creative thinking and compassion for ourselves and one another and it's all good.

Sorry, that was way off topic, probably required a whole new thread.

Anyway, yes, progress not perfection.

And oh yes, we have a very tasty but not too healthy vegan restaurant in our town too. I'll save that for my birthday.

Good on ya Amanda- fantastic attitude you have.

take care

Melanie

Edited 03/19/13 10:57 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 412 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org