21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Oxalates
Created on: 01/25/13 01:25 PM Views: 1008 Replies: 4
Oxalates
Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Has anyone had trouble with the oxalates on plant based diets? I have had a long time issue with arthritis in my big toes and hypothroidism. Now I have read that too many oxalates in some people can cause this.

RE: Oxalates
Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Haven't noticed any problems as far as arthritis (I don't have much, just a tinge in the knuckles at this point). As far as thyroid, I've been hypothyroid for years (diagnosed about 20 yrs ago but it's been longer than that for sure). I have seen things indicating that soy can interfere with meds for hypothyroid so I just avoid large chunks like tofu and soy milk (which I have found to be problematic for me. YMMV).

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I have arthritis in both knees. No issues with oxalates, big issues with dairy.

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

What I am concerned about is that I have read that too many high oxalate foods, which is most of what I eat on this diet, can cause issues with osteoporosis, hypothyroid and arthritic flare ups. All of which I have.

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

then, for you, you might need to adjust how much of that you eat. Each person is going to have different needs - some folks on the kickstart are gluten intolerant, others have nut allergies, others have soy allergies, and so on. You need to do what works for your specific needs.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 476 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org