21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Newbee
Created on: 06/24/13 11:12 AM Views: 1037 Replies: 5
Newbee
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Hi there. Brand new to this. I am a type two diabetic and after researching many articles I have decided to choose this lifestyle to hopefully decrease or eliminate my diabetes. This is day one for me. Any advice or tips I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

RE: Newbee
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

A hearty welcome! Always think of what you can have as opposed to what you can't have. You'll find wonderful support here!

Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thanks. That's a great way of looking at it. I am still concerned and confused how a diet with no carb restriction will work for me but I'm gonna give it a whirl. Thanks for the support!!

Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

You've landed in a great place! I highly recommend some additional reading for your journey. You can purchase Dr. Barnard's book, Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, or at the very least, read through all the resources available at PCRM.org/Diabetes.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The key is that the carbs are lower glycemically because they're WHOLE foods that contain fiber, protein, etc. not highly processed carbs like white flour. It's still appropriate to remember the old saw "if it's white, don't bite" - as in white flour, white sugar, etc. - choose whole grains instead. And, too, plant based is heavily tilted toward veggies and beans/legumes - 1/2 the plate is veggies and the other half split between everything else (including grains). It's really hard to overeat on carbs (the spiky kinds) when you've got a plate full of veggies that are full of fiber.

--DebR

Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Thanks Deb and Susan for all your wise advice. Looking forward to my new journey ahead of me. I'm not turning back !

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 409 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org