21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: thank you all! and question about soy milk
Created on: 11/21/13 02:28 AM Views: 1086 Replies: 6
thank you all! and question about soy milk
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies on my last posting here, this is such a great community! I'm so inspired by all of you to keep learning more about veganism.

I'm definitely planning to supplement with vitamin B12, I'm curious to know if only soymilk is the non-dairy milk that has this? can other non-dairy milk like almond, coconut also have B12?

And just wondering how many of you use soy-milk, and if you really feel there's truth to all the negative hype about soy. I can't see how non-GMO soymilk would be bad especially compared to dairy milk.

But a pet peeve of mine is, WHY on earth do coffee shops charge you extra for the soy? Is it really that expensive for them like starbucks, to buy it in the first place? I am not a coffee drinker, but I like tea and admit I like my tea-lattes.

RE: thank you all! and question about soy milk
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I just posted the other day that I was surprised to find that one brand of almond milk claimed to provide 50% of our B12 and another brand had none.

So, yes, you need to read labels.

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

lily18 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies on my last posting here, this is such a great community! I'm so inspired by all of you to keep learning more about veganism.

I'm definitely planning to supplement with vitamin B12, I'm curious to know if only soymilk is the non-dairy milk that has this? can other non-dairy milk like almond, coconut also have B12?

And just wondering how many of you use soy-milk, and if you really feel there's truth to all the negative hype about soy. I can't see how non-GMO soymilk would be bad especially compared to dairy milk.

But a pet peeve of mine is, WHY on earth do coffee shops charge you extra for the soy? Is it really that expensive for them like starbucks, to buy it in the first place? I am not a coffee drinker, but I like tea and admit I like my tea-lattes.

Yes, read labels, some soy milks even may have less B12 than others.
Whether soy milk is better or worse is a matter of opinion and individuals - for me, soymilk, tofu, tempeh (the larger quantity all at once type soy) is too much for me to handle without having a bit of trouble (PMS like symptoms no matter when it is - not good).
Yes, it probably does cost cafes more to buy soy milk. (1) compare the cost of soy milk vs. dairy milk at the grocery store - it costs more per unit usually. I did a quick look at a national 'warehouse club' place's website - a gallon of dairy milk (128 oz.) is about $11. A half gallon of brand name soy milk (64 oz.) is about $8, thus a gallon would be about $16. So, dairy is about 8 cents per oz. where the soy is about 12 cents per oz. Significant difference - more than just half a cent.

--DebR

(2) how many people ask for soy vs. dairy? lower volume means they don't buy in bulk, which means they don't get as low a price as they otherwise might (and which they likely get buying dairy in quantity).

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Oh, I see - I guess I assume that more people drink soy than they actually do! I think it's at least more popular than it used to be, but yes...I personally find that bringing my own milk in a thermas, THEN ordering the tea, is so much better than paying the extra for soy. And personally speaking I have enjoyed almond and coconut milk a lot, so maybe I'll just stick to those.

Unless, anyone feels that soy milk itself has a lot of nutrition / benefits?

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Also, are there any brands of soy milk you recommend specifically that are not GMO? I find that to be the most important thing, at least I think!

It's good to hear that some almond milks are fortified with calcium, B12, etc.

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I imagine if you stick with certified organic soymilk, it shouldn't be GMO (as far as I know, anyway).

As far as I know, any "milk" made from conventionally-grown soybeans (ie: non-organic) WILL be GMO, so this is one area to go organic if you want to avoid that.

Posted Monday, December 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

As noted by Sarah, above, I believe organic soy milk is non GMO. I've found it best to look for unsweetened non-dairy milk, e.g., unsweetened almond or soy milk so as not to be adding something unneeded and unwanted to my diet. In Canada, the So Nice brand of organic soy milk is available unsweetened and is very good. My favourite non-dairy milk is an organic unsweetened almond milk sold under the PC Organics label (Loblaws, Valumart, Superstore, some No Frills stores, etc.). It tends to blend well with coffee and tea without adding another flavour that drowns out the coffee flavour. Often sold out. I think one of the main differences between soy and almond milk is the amount of protein--more in soy, much less in almond milk. This doesn't concern me as I believe I get enough protein from other sources as a vegan.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 336 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org