21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Warning: GAS
Created on: 01/21/13 09:56 AM Views: 1974 Replies: 9
Warning: GAS
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Vegan Kickstart should come with a warning:

*****INCREASING FIBER TOO QUICKLY MAY CAUSE GI DISTRESS *****

I thought I'd be fine because my diet already includes lots of the foods on the menu, but my body didn't agree. A lot of gas and discomfort over the weekend. I continued vegan, but cut back on the legumes and took some digestive enzymes formulated specifically for digestion of beans, grains, and raw vegetables. Better now, but feel cautious!

RE: Warning: GAS
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

readpr wrote:

Vegan Kickstart should come with a warning:

*****INCREASING FIBER TOO QUICKLY MAY CAUSE GI DISTRESS *****

I thought I'd be fine because my diet already includes lots of the foods on the menu, but my body didn't agree. A lot of gas and discomfort over the weekend. I continued vegan, but cut back on the legumes and took some digestive enzymes formulated specifically for digestion of beans, grains, and raw vegetables. Better now, but feel cautious!

Readpr,

You're right - there can be many surprises for the gastro-intestinals with a higher fiber diet!

Just posted this video about cooking beans and how to degass them in the pressure cooker process:

How to cook beans in 10 minutes: Meet Jill the pressure cooker expert (+ giveaway!)

Hope this helps!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't have a pressure cooker, but would be interested in trying one. Which ones do you recommend? What size do you recommend? I usually try to cook 2-4 servings at a time.

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

When cooking beans, we cook multiple meals at a time (4 people x 2 to 3 uses = 4 cups of dry beans). That way, we can soak them overnight, cook them once, then portion them out and use them multiple times (without having to remember to soak and allow time to cook). It is much faster with the pressure cooker than slowly simmering and watching them. They get done fast and we can tell by the sound (hissing, jiggling, etc) where it is in the process and when we need to actually go check on them. We make chili, shepherd's pie, etc. and plan our weeks to figure which beans need to be cooked/ready when.
--DebR

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

readpr wrote:

Thanks for the info. I don't have a pressure cooker, but would be interested in trying one. Which ones do you recommend? What size do you recommend? I usually try to cook 2-4 servings at a time.

I have a stainless steel Presto that I've had for years. I think it's a 4 quart? I make a big batch of lentil soup in it a couple of times a week. It's the one in the video on the same page below Jill's video.

As for 2-4 servings, to give you an idea, one batch of lentil soup in the pressure cooker delivers 3 days of 2 giant bowls. That means lunch for 3 days for me and hubby. Quantity cooking works for me!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I love my electric pressure cooker. You can set the time you want or use the "dummy" buttons - "beans", "rice", etc. It switches from "pressure" to a "warm" setting and alarms when done so no worries. Another good thing about an electric pressure cooker is that you don't have to worry about the fire on the stove.

Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

While I was aware that a vegan diet might cause one to have more gas, because my normal diet was what I thought was high in fiber, I didn't anticipate there being a big change. Was I ever wrong! I'm not sure what the biggest culprit is, my age (I've just turned 54) or the increase in beans in my diet.
Jennifer

Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

While I was aware that a vegan diet might cause one to have more gas, because my normal diet was what I thought was high in fiber, I didn't anticipate there being a big change. Was I ever wrong! I'm not sure what the biggest culprit is, my age (I've just turned 54) or the increase in beans in my diet.
Jennifer

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Are you chewing your food well? That is supposed to help, though with some foods like beans or cabbage, I'm not sure you could ever eliminate all the gas... Better not to time those meals right before an important meeting! Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM

dodink58 wrote:

Jennifer

It may be the type of fiber you're getting - soluble vs insoluble - that is different and causing problems.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 429 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org