21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Ice Cream Every Once in a While
Created on: 05/05/13 10:27 AM Views: 4846 Replies: 23
Ice Cream Every Once in a While
Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I recently had some ice cream because my 10 year old really likes it when I have dessert with her.

Is there anyone else out there who follows the vegan diet 95% of the time but has moments where they allow a little dairy? No meat, just a little treat like ice cream or cake during a special occasion?

FreeByForty.org

RE: Ice Cream Every Once in a While
Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If you are cheating once in a while with dairy you are actually sabotaging your vegan diet. dairy contains casomorphines that are highly addictive. Cut dairy out all together and you will be happier and more satisfied in the long run. Most ice cream or yogurt shops offer a dairy free version of sorbet. I too used to struggle with this but realized if a vegan diet is good for me it is also good for the entire family, everyone is vegan now and healthier and happier for it, what better gift can you give your child?

Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

also So Delicious makes an amazing ice cream in a variety of flavors, they also carry ice cream bars. I keep those in the freezer and my kids friends LOVE them! There are so many wonderful dairy free options, no need for you to pass up dessert!

Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Trader Joes carries soy ice cream at a very good price. It is still a pricey, high-fat treat, but it satisfies my kids ice cream longing. I usually use it to make ice cream sandwiches with my homemade low-fat, whole grain, naturally sweetened cookies.

Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yes, I have a few bites of cake just so I'm not a total Debbie Downer at special occasions. Wink The ice cream is easier for me to pass up.

Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I agree with the above posts. Yes its cheating to have ice cream on a vegan diet, yes there are lovely soy ice creams etc.

BUT my advise for what its worth is to just do the best you can and don't worry - 95% vegan is better than a 100% SAD diet and to me its about making changes we can live with - not making things so hard we give up trying.

I try to be vegan but for me its probably only 98%-99% of the time if I am totally honest and I doubt I am the only one. It is easy to be vegan at home but when I dine out I don't quiz the chef non stop about every single item (whether the chef is a friend, family member or restaurant). I have not eaten meat for years and skip any obvious dairy such as grilled cheese. However if, for example, I were given a bread roll or some dish with a little milk or cheese in it then so be it. I will eat, enjoy the company of those I am eating with and be thankful to have a lovely meal that someone took the time preparing for me. Like catbear, I will also have the odd piece of cake on special occasions knowing its not vegan.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 05/05/13 11:03 PM
Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

As you learn new recipes you might also want to start researching the impact that your choices have on the animals. For me this isn't a diet that I might "cheat" on but a lifestyle choice to do my best not to harm other animals. You might want to watch "Peaceable Kingdom" which is a beautiful movie about Farmers who turn their farms into animal sanctuaries. Or maybe "Farm to Fridge" - only 4 minutes but will open your eyes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIODWTqx5E

Posted Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

So Delicious also makes a coconut milk based frozen dessert for those who might want to avoid the heavy amount of soy in a soy milk based treat. We LOVE the chocolate variety. The price of it makes it a once in a while treat, which helps in other ways as well (like not over-indulging in a higher fat and sugar treat).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

HeidiW wrote:

As you learn new recipes you might also want to start researching the impact that your choices have on the animals. For me this isn't a diet that I might "cheat" on but a lifestyle choice to do my best not to harm other animals. You might want to watch "Peaceable Kingdom" which is a beautiful movie about Farmers who turn their farms into animal sanctuaries. Or maybe "Farm to Fridge" - only 4 minutes but will open your eyes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIODWTqx5E

Thanks, but I am not doing this based on the injustice done to animals. I am looking out for my health. Don't get me wrong, I understand some animals are mistreated in the meat industry, which is why I always looked for free range products when I did eat meat, but at the end of the day, they are just, well, animals.

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Hi FreeByForty, I am with you on this one. I been 100% for 3 months but recently start eating ice cream once in a while. I found, while being vegan, that I have intolerance to soya and ice cream made of banana or mango just doesn't always cut it. So yes I 'cheat' but I don't see it that way. I see it that I cut out a lot of animal products from my diet and like you FreeByForty I am doing this for my health. I live in the UK and there is no GOOD no diary ice cream anyway. Laughing

Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Hana wrote:

Hi FreeByForty, I am with you on this one. I been 100% for 3 months but recently start eating ice cream once in a while. I found, while being vegan, that I have intolerance to soya and ice cream made of banana or mango just doesn't always cut it. So yes I 'cheat' but I don't see it that way. I see it that I cut out a lot of animal products from my diet and like you FreeByForty I am doing this for my health. I live in the UK and there is no GOOD no diary ice cream anyway. Laughing

Thanks Hana. To be honest, upon starting this diet, I thought I would really miss meat, especially things like burgers and cheesesteaks! But, I find I do not crave anything like that. The only thing I want to allow myself to have is beloved ice cream! There simply is no substitute for the real deal.

www.freebyforty.org

Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I love So Delicious chocolate dessert and to me, it is truly delicious and is more satisfying to me than ice cream.
I started with the 21 day vegan kickstart in order to prevent health problems. However, as I became educated and when I started to really listen to what people were saying about animals, I couldn't keep my head in the sand anymore. It is clear to me that there is really something very important about what animal advocates are saying. As my 21-year-old cat just died, I see her as more than just an animal. Although she couldn't speak a human language, she could communicate and she needed my love and care. I was glad to be there for her in her old age. I see all the other animals as more than just animals too. I have respect and compassion for them.

Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

veganer wrote:

I love So Delicious chocolate dessert and to me, it is truly delicious and is more satisfying to me than ice cream.
I started with the 21 day vegan kickstart in order to prevent health problems. However, as I became educated and when I started to really listen to what people were saying about animals, I couldn't keep my head in the sand anymore. It is clear to me that there is really something very important about what animal advocates are saying. As my 21-year-old cat just died, I see her as more than just an animal. Although she couldn't speak a human language, she could communicate and she needed my love and care. I was glad to be there for her in her old age. I see all the other animals as more than just animals too. I have respect and compassion for them.

Interesting points, Veganer. And I'm sorry to hear about your cat. She was a Kickstarter of the cat world. Obviously not vegan, but a low-protein dieter who outlived most if not all of her peers. May God bless her wherever she is.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Hana wrote:

I'm not the vegan police, but if you're in the UK you might wanna try Booja Booja ice cream before you write off all non-dairy varieties. Booja Booja is the Rolls Royce of ice creams period. Dairy or no-dairy. The Maple Pecan flavour is most people's favourite. It's made from cashew nuts, not soy. Depending on the serving size I think it could easily be in line with PCRM's recommendation of 1 to 2 ounces of nuts a day.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Thank you Theodore for your kind words about my cat. That was so touching. Even recently, the vet said she was the healthiest 21 and a half-year-old cat he'd ever seen. And yes, all she ate the last years of her life was vet-prescribed low-protein cat food.

Edited 05/09/13 9:07 PM
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

theodore wrote:

I'm not the vegan police, but if you're in the UK you might wanna try Booja Booja ice cream before you write off all non-dairy varieties. Booja Booja is the Rolls Royce of ice creams period. Dairy or no-dairy. The Maple Pecan flavour is most people's favourite. It's made from cashew nuts, not soy. Depending on the serving size I think it could easily be in line with PCRM's recommendation of 1 to 2 ounces of nuts a day.

Hi Theodore,
thank you for the great tip. I had Booja Booja chocolates before and they are soo tasty. I didn't even think that they also make ice cream! I will look out for this ice cream Very Happy

Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Glad to hear there are options for non-dairy ice cream. I tried the So Delicous made from coconut milk and did not like it at all. It's tough trying a vegan diet when you don't like coconut or onions! I had the same disdain for mushrooms but I am starting to come around!

http://freebyforty.org

Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hana wrote:

theodore wrote:

Hi Theodore,
thank you for the great tip. I had Booja Booja chocolates before and they are soo tasty. I didn't even think that they also make ice cream! I will look out for this ice cream Very Happy

Sounds good, wish they had booja booja in the states!

http://freebyforty.org

Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quote:

Sounds good, wish they had booja booja in the states!

I agree! I was looking at all the wonderful goodies on their website. Maybe it is a good thing they're not in the US after all since I don't need another temptation. We'll have to enjoy vicarously through Theodore's Booja-Booja indulgences. Maple sounds delicious!

Edited 05/11/13 11:05 PM
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Hi everyone

The main ingredients of Booja ice cream are cashew butter, water and agave syrup. I suspect you could recreate a similar concoction in the comfort of your own home by mixing those 3 ingredients in a blender and then freezing it.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 112 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org