21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Is Soy Bad for Men
Created on: 05/01/13 10:39 AM Views: 1441 Replies: 4
Is Soy Bad for Men
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I was discussing my new diet with family and friends this weekend and I commented that I now prefer soy milk over cow milk.

One friend alerted me to the fact that he heard soy was bad for babies as well as men because it is "estrogenic." He had heard that it increases estrogen in men thereby leading to several changes unbecoming of the male species. So I looked into it and found this one article from Men's Health.
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Now, I do not consume anywhere close to the amount of soy that the gentleman in the above article did but it certainly made me think.

Thoughts?

RE: Is Soy Bad for Men
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

This is a classic example of sensationalistic journalism. One man's unfortunate circumstance is not a valid reason to scare people. And yes, that much soy milk (or that much of anything!) will probably produce some interesting and unwanted results.

Soy milk is safe and in fact beneficial for a lot of reasons, as seen with evidence-based research. However, more of a good thing does not make it better. Soy foods are a healthful part of the diet but certainly should not make up 100% of a day's worth of calorie needs (as it seemed to in this person's story). I would advise some soy. If one chooses to eat tofu, then have almond milk with cereal to keep the diet varied.

But if soy makes you uncomfortable, no problem, there are dozens of other types of beans readily available at the market.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ok, so another person told me how bad soy is because it is processed. Then I read an article about how good soy products are.

Seems to be a lot of confusion out there huh?

Lovey Club

Edited 05/05/13 10:21 AM
Posted Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The science is pretty straight forward - safe and even beneficial. The media, and thus the public, is very confused, unfortunately.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

loveyclub wrote:

Ok, so another person told me how bad soy is because it is processed. Then I read an article about how good soy products are.

Seems to be a lot of confusion out there huh?

Lovey Club

Processed soy (like the fractionated soy proteins in many things) are a different 'critter' than whole and/or fermented soy (like edamame and tofu), just as whole wheat berries are different than white flour. A lot of the confusion comes from not defining what exactly is being discussed or in what quantities (are we talking a handful of edamame on a salad or a quart of soy milk per day?) - pick any generally considered good thing and over eat on it and it's not necessarily as good any longer because it's crowding out other things (as well as potentially having its own side-effects)- even something as seemingly neutral as clear, plain, water can be a problem in the extreme (water intoxication).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 110 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org