21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: January kickstart?
Created on: 12/07/12 04:14 PM Views: 2180 Replies: 7
January kickstart?
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Will there be a kickstart right after New Year's again this year?

RE: January kickstart?
Posted Friday, December 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Right ON New Year's day - starts January 1!!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I will be jumping on board well at least that is my plan to try! I am still VERY new and still figuring things out. I stopped meat mid October and am still on egg and cheese with no meat... I switched to soy milk and am working on the last 2 areas... I really want to be vegan but am not trying to overload and just take babysteps even though in my head I want to take leaps... its harder too since I'm the only one in my family... My family is supportive but they want to eat what they want to eat which is far but... a husband and 2 teens vs me... can be tricky when it comes to planning meals...

ANyway nice to meet everyone and any advice or tips would be great! Smile

I will be jumping on board well at least that is my plan to try! I am still VERY new and still figuring things out. I stopped meat mid October and am still on egg and cheese with no meat... I switched to soy milk and am working on the last 2 areas... I really want to be vegan but am not trying to overload and just take babysteps even though in my head I want to take leaps... its harder too since I'm the only one in my family... My family is supportive but they want to eat what they want to eat which is far but... a husband and 2 teens vs me... can be tricky when it comes to planning meals...

Brenda

Brenda

Posted Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Brenda

Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

Right ON New Year's day - starts January 1!!

I will be there again. I always need to regroup and get back to healthy eating after the holiday goodies and extravagances. In my case its usually too much sugar, alcohol and just too much food in an overeating kind of way. I always promise myself I will eat healthy through the holidays but Im not good at saying no.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Monday, December 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Moosey75 wrote:

Brenda

A couple of ideas to get you started thinking about blending the family:

Take an idea from a lot of the 'high end' Manhattan restaurants and famous chefs and do "Meatless Mondays" - just one vegan meal for the whole family each week. Pick things like veggie-full chili, or a hearty 15 bean soup, stuff that is vegan by nature generally, that people don't think twice about whether it's vegan or not. For instance, Hubby makes a corn chowder that we get requests for (from non vegans) where you cook the corn kernels until they're a little overcooked/softish. Then throw them (and some of the cooking water to get it going) into the blender and puree it to make a 'corn milk'. In the pot, sweat onion, garlic, celery (the aromatic yummy stuff), then add the corn milk back in along with carrots, potato, mushrooms and whole kernels of corn. Season to taste. Simple, hearty, yummy, and VEGAN. Served with a hearty bread (like a good pumpernickel) and maybe a tossed salad to round it off.

Another tip is to make mix'n'match meals a few times per week as well. Things like whole grain pasta with a chunky marinara (add mushrooms and spinach!) and the meat product on the side for whomever wants it. Tex-mex is especially good for this because folks are used to building their own tacos or burritos - have the beans, meat, cheese, salsa, etc all separate with whichever type 'wrapper' y'all prefer (corn tortillas or whole wheat tortillas). Everyone can make their own - they can have the meat, you can go heavy on the beans and salsa (and maybe a bit of nice guacamole - go easy on it, it's higher in fat, but it adds a nice creaminess without needing dairy products). Make (or purchase) whole wheat pizza dough and roll it out into "personal" size pizzas and let each person top their own - btw a nice hummus (like the Kickstart roasted red pepper version) makes a fun alternate base instead of tomato sauce. Have all sorts of veg chopped up and ready to go - zucchini/summer squash, mushrooms, olives, bell peppers, onions, etc and also have the mozz and whatever meat they want on hand too. Making YOUR pizza look like the prettiest yummiest thing EVER might be helpful - a "routine" looking pepperoni pizza is nothing compared to the bright colorful veggies on your pizza. And, you won't have to douse yours liberally with grated parmesan to keep the grease from dripping all over!

--DebR

Edited 12/10/12 8:47 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 808 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org