21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: getting off dried fruit
Created on: 01/27/13 09:56 PM Views: 1493 Replies: 8
getting off dried fruit
Posted Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Doing I have to stop eating dried fruit? I love dried pineapple, dried bananas, dried mango, etc. I guess I'm influenced by Dr. Robert Lustig, the guy who gave the "Bitter Truth" lecture about sugar, because Lustig would say dried fruit is a source of sugar.

In fact, Lustig would say a vegan diet works only because it cuts out the sugar. Likewise, he would say, fat is not an issue. Both very compelling speakers, feel torn between them.

RE: getting off dried fruit
Posted Monday, January 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Im not a dietitian but it seems to me that it depends.

Do you have a medical condition where it is important to watch the amount of sugar you have such as Diabetes?

Are you trying to loose weight?

If the answer is yes to one or both of these questions then it would be best to stop the dried fruit and to eat whole fruits (not dried). You get some natural frustose sugar but not in the concentrated amounts that happens with drying.

If the answer is no, then I wouldnt worry and eat what you enjoy.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Monday, January 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I'd like to add that I would caution against dried fruit that is coated in sugar/sweetener and possibly chemicals/preservatives.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

How long have you been on a whole foods vegan diet?
I would say that my cravings for dried fruit diminished after a few weeks, in the beginning I craved sugar and met that craving with fruit or dried fruit (still probably eating less sugar than if I had turned to a bar of chocolate). After I got used to the diet I felt satisfied without dried fruit, though I still use it sometimes in cooking.
Fruit is associated with reduced cancer risk so if you're not sugar-sensitive, make sure you get a few servings each day, though fresh would be better if you need to lose weight.

Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I like dried fruit to take along as an occasional snack or add to homemade trail mix. Sometimes I'll add either raisins or dried blueberries on my oatmeal.

Last night to go with our supper I made a delicious fresh fruit salad. First I peeled and cut up some oranges, then cored and chopped some granny smith apples. That way the juice from the oranges kept the apples from oxidizing. Next I peeled and sliced a Kiwi, some seedless grapes, and some fresh strawberries. Bananas get too mushy too fast so I generally just put some slices on each individual portion as we're eating it. And this way I can keep the fruit salad to eat the next day if there's any leftover!

Jennifer

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I wanted to know if some dry fruit is maybe less sweet or has less sugar than others?

I have a big sugar toothe, so I'm trying to have more dried fruit instead of the usual chocolates and biscuits that surely must be better, even though I know the dry fruit still has a lot of sugar...for example, would apricots be a better option than raisins or dried mango?

Also, I want to incorporate more fresh fruit especially if this is less sugar, however I'm worried about fruit causing a lot of bloat. Are there ways to have fresh fruit, minus the bloat?

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

You can cook fresh fruit to make it easier to digest. So slice and bake fresh fruit or stir it in something else you are cooking such as oatmeal.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM

This is a great idea - I have heard of people baking pears and apples, perhaps if I chopped it down to smaller pieces and used it as in salads, this might be easier on the digestion and not cause bloating?

Thanks again for this advice!

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Yes, small pieces will certainly help too!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 452 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org