21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Lost weight and lowered sugars now going back up
Created on: 03/18/13 04:10 PM Views: 689 Replies: 4
Lost weight and lowered sugars now going back up
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I had lowered my weight by 15 pounds and significantly lowered my blood sugar. I am now up 20 pounds and my sugar is sky high. The only thing I can think of that I am doing a little differently is adding bread and butter to my diet. Can that make such a difference? I use a vegan margarine.

RE: Lost weight lowered sugars now going back up
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

kevin wrote:

I had lowered my weight by 15 pounds and significantly lowered my blood sugar. I am now up 20 pounds and my sugar is sky high. The only thing I can think of that I am doing a little differently is adding bread and butter to my diet. Can that make such a difference? I use a vegan margarine.

Yes, it can - it's not so much the margarine (vegan or not) as the fact you've added fat and carbs. Flour products can definitely impact both things you mentioned. Especially if it's become a daily thing - toast at breakfast, bread at lunch, etc. And, too, it depends on the bread - if you really want bread *occasionally* go for a rye or pumpernickel - they seem to be the least reactive glycemically (don't EVER use white bread, and most 'whole wheat' bread is just beige white bread - look for whole grain as the first ingredient). Also, unless you are making it yourself, there's very likely sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup in the bread. I know for me, HFCS can have long lasting effects on my glucose readings - one slice of bread with HFCS can cause my readings to be off for several days. And, from Dr. Barnard's research, added fats can affect glucose levels as well.

--DebR

RE: Lost weight now going back up
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Thank you. I only use store bought rye. I did find a sourdough rye a Fruitful Yield that is nice but I don't know its glycemic index.

RE: Lost weight and
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

There is a brand named Mestermacher that has a whole rye kernel bread. Very chewy and dense!

RE: Lost weight now going back up
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Thank you. I will look for it.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 160 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org