21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I'm gaining weight !!!
Created on: 03/18/13 04:19 AM Views: 2800 Replies: 15
I'm gaining weight !!!
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM

I started Neal Barnard diet a week ago, my main food is as suggested grains, legumes, fruit and veggies.

no I don't cheat, I don't drink, I don't add any oil or nuts even spices I don't add!! I'm doing what Neal said 100%. the problem is I'm eating alot since I cut the meat from my list, but that shouldn't be a problem because Neal said: no need to count calories with this diet, you can eat as much vegan low GI food as you want! I'm doing HIIT training 4 to 5 times a week 45 minutes each.

I gained 5 lbs since I started, and I'm afraid I will gain more

please somebody help

any one experienced the same thing
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

RE: I'm gaining weight !!!
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Hmm. Some more details might help if you are willing:

What are you eating in a typical day?
How much do you weigh?
What is your goal weight?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Thank for your reply, hope you help me guys:

this is my typical meals every day:

breakfast: big oatmeal bowl cooked with water and blueberries

snack: 3 bananas

launch: brown rice or rye bread with steamed veggies and beans (either kidney or cannellini)

snack: 2 bananas with unsweetened soy milk

Dinner: same as launch

snack: 2 apples or 2 bananas

my weight before I started the diet was 167 lb, now its almost 174

my goal weight is 158-156 lbs

please help me

thank you very much

Rashed

I just want to add one thing: I'm a male, 27 years old, 170 cm height

Edited 03/18/13 7:45 AM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Rashed28 wrote:

Thank for your reply, hope you help me guys:

this is my typical meals every day:

breakfast: big oatmeal bowl cooked with water and blueberries

snack: 3 bananas

launch: brown rice or rye bread with steamed veggies and beans (either kidney or cannellini)

snack: 2 bananas with unsweetened soy milk

Dinner: same as launch

snack: 2 apples or 2 bananas

my weight before I started the diet was 167 lb, now its almost 174

my goal weight is 158-156 lbs

please help me

thank you very much

Rashed

I just want to add one thing: I'm a male, 27 years old, 170 cm height

One thing that I'm seeing is a LOT of bananas, and a lot of grains but not a lot of leafy greens (unless you're steaming spinach or kale or something). Lots of bananas can lead to um what might be politely called 'accumulation in the bowels' which can add a little weight. You don't indicate how much plain old water you are consuming (not coffee/tea or other liquids).
Try something like hummus and veggies rather than more bananas for one of your snacks. Switch out bananas for other fruits (an orange or pear perhaps since apples are already there). Have a small tossed salad instead of bananas as a snack (if you can manage something that needs a fork). Make a veggie wrap with a whole grain/multi grain tortilla.
I really cannot imagine eating three bananas between breakfast and lunch - I'll have one and that's plenty, two if I'm doing a lot of heavy activity (like digging up the garden to prep it for planting).
--DebR

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

yes but Dr. Neal Barnard did not set any restriction on bananas. In fact, one of his videos I watched on youtube he said exactly like this: you can eat as many bananas as you want and you will still lose weight.

All I know that consume healthy low fat GI vegan diet and you will lose weight, no calories count no quantities. if we go to replace something with something that would be basically calories counting diet but other way round, which will put me down.

I ate lot of veggies. I don't like humus alot, I tried it. I don't want to force my self and eat something I don't like it, I'm following the basic recommended principles as Dr. Neal said. so I'm asking why this diet and it's principles are not working with me??

Edited 03/18/13 9:27 AM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You're absolutely right, Dr. Barnard does say there's no reason to count calories or limit quantities when eating a vegan diet. It is important to eat foods from a variety of sources. That way we can be sure we're getting the various nutrients necessary for good health. While there are no limits, there are suggestions. For example: 5 servings daily of grains, 2 of legumes (beans), 4 of vegetables, and 3 of fruit. Serving sizes are as follows:
Grains: 1 serving equals 1/2 cup hot cereal, or 1 ounce of dry cereal, or 1 slice of bread
Legumes: 1 serving equals 1/2 cup cooked beans, or 4 ounces tofu or tempeh, or 8 ounces of soy milk
Vegetables: 1 serving equals 1 cup of raw vegetables or 1/2 cup cooked vegetables
Fruit: 1 medium piece of fruit, or 1/2 cup cooked fruit or 1/2 cup fruit juice.

These are only suggestions, but maybe following them will help.

Jennifer

Edited 03/18/13 10:33 AM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

dodink58 wrote:

You're absolutely right, Dr. Barnard does say there's no reason to count calories or limit quantities when eating a vegan diet. It is important to eat foods from a variety of sources.
Jennifer

Exactly! Thanks Jennifer for explaining more clearly. Sure, you can eat whatever BUT eating a lot of any one thing, even if it's a good thing, is not the way things work best. I know, for instance, that when I start to eat more grains and less on the leafies, I will stop losing (or gain a bit). Keeping to a balanced variety with lots of veggies, some fruit, some grain, some legumes (beans and lentils) rather than being heavy on any one category or even any one type of thing within a category (bananas are great, but they're not apples, oranges, pears, grapes, kiwi...)
--DebR

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

so I understand from you guys is all about portion control= calories intake.. so eating as much as I want from low fat low GI vegan food and losing weight is a myth!!

another diet I wasted my money on it!!

Thank you very much

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Keep going, you will lose weight when you increase the veggies. Remember it's vegan- veggie not bananan or fruitan. Vegans eat mostly veggies as the bulk and surround that with modest portions of other plant based food.

You don't have to count everything or worry about portion control the way you do on diets.
On some diets you can't have any bananas at all.

In this case if you ate more veggies, you would be too full to eat that impact in bananas, and your body full of vitamins will drop your weight because it will start functioning more healthfully.

My family doesn't count anything and we have all lost weight. The first two weeks I didn't lose anyhing because my body was adjusting. Now I am Wink

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Bottom line is if you eat more than your body needs, you will gain weight. You can't gorge on bananas any more than you can gorge on cake and expect to lose weight. BUT if you are filling up on things like veggies and fruit, with some whole grains in the mix, rather than nuts and fats and refined starches, you are more likely to lose weight because you will feel satisfied with less intake. It's about balance.

--DebR

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

look at my food list again before writing :

I'm eating grains, fruits, veggies and legumes, where did you pick up cakes, nuts and fats??

I'm realizing people can not approve this diet won't work without counting calories or controlling portions, I'm eating veggies, I'm eating fruits, whole grains and legumes in a mix. but damn it I feel hungry all the time since I started this diet. I'm eating green leafy vegetables, but that does not satisfy me for god sake.

sometimes I wake up because of hunger at night, even if I snack on salads before sleep.

I think people either don't understand or pretend they don't understand me!!

the bottom line is: why Neal said you can eat as much as low fat low GI food as you want, and you will still lose weight if the reality is you need to look at your energy expenditure and portion control, he should call it low fat low GI low calories vegan diet. not misleading people. shall I post the youtube link where Neal said: you can eat as much quantity as you want and you still lose weight? someone show me in the book where it says you need to cut back on bananas quantity? if the case watching your portion control that would be a fad marketed diet like other diets which won't work unless you watch and control your portions or in science they call it "calories". there is no magical thing about this diet.

Edited 03/18/13 3:34 PM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

If you're talking about my post, what I was comparing was people who believe they can eat as much as they want of 'whatever' and lose weight. Eating too many bananas for your body's needs is still too many, just as too many cookies is too many - what qualifies as "too many" is what varies from person to person. If you're hungry, by all means, eat something but be sure that it's hunger and not thirst or 'snackishness' (that habit of having something while watching TV or reading or whatever one does in the evening). What we're saying is that maybe you need to look at the BALANCE of what you're eating and tilt the balance more toward veggies than bananas. If you find yourself hungry at 8 pm, maybe you need to have a second helping of the veggies and rice you had at dinner. You might want to add more veggies to the mix, hearty stuff like sweet potato, plus some beans or lentils. Something like brown rice plus chick peas plus leafy greens makes a really hearty meal (even my 6' 300+ lb hubby is satisfied with two servings of this one). If having a small salad before bed isn't enough, add something hearty to it - yes, add more food to it, but keep it in balance - add some chickpeas (for example - I've used all sorts of cold beans in salads). Find a 'dip' type thing that you like (homemade guacamole for instance) for those times when you need 'more' and have it with some baked corn chips.
But, no one here is forcing you to stay and you can probably sell whatever book or dvd you purchased on ebay (since you probably can't return it after a couple weeks).
--DebR

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

you still did not answer my question, why Neal said you eat without controlling portion of fruits, veggies etc? show me in the book where it says count your fruits? I don't want your home advice,or hubby advice, I want PCRM research center advice if it came cross on you? because anyone can pick an advice from his/her butt these days.

well off course, even uneducated person who knows nothing about diet, will say if you replace any food with veggies you will lose weight , because they have no calories in them.

the only reason you lose weight with this diet from your reply is the calories in-calories out, you call it veggies, you call it dipping, call it whatever. all the science behind this diet is nothing but the basic principle of all diets that no one can break which is the calories count. I hope they change the way they marketed the book then.

someone professional please reply

Edited 03/18/13 3:53 PM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

The control of portions comes from learning to stop when you are full, satisfied, not overfull, sated. Most people in Western cultures, by the time they reach adulthood (and usually sooner) have totally lost the sense of "time to stop eating, I've had enough". We eat by the clock - dinner "time", lunch "time", rather than eating by hunger - "am I hungry now?" yes, eat; no, wait; regardless of what the clock says. And, we usually eat faster than our bodies can keep up with - that is, we finish two servings before our body has registered "hey that's enough". We learn to 'clean the plate' rather than leave anything behind.
Perhaps, just a thought, until one of the 'pros' gets here (like Susan), you might try a few days of considering what has been offered as free advice and then see how things are going. If you're here, on the kickstart forum, have you looked at the menu plans for the kickstart? the power plate? any of the information that is all over this site?
--DebR

Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

If you want to be treated respectfully, please treat others that way. Dr. Barnard has written numerous books; are you referring to the "21-Day Weightloss Kickstart"? To experience the "Calorie Burning Secret" in chapter 3, you must first have cleaned the junk (fat) out of your cells so that the insulin can work. One week isn't much time for a big change in that. The "portion contol" I suggested earlier came directly from a "Choose Health" poster which is avaliable through PCRM. Several of us have been guilty of taking things out of context in this and other posts.

Jennifer

Edited 03/18/13 4:35 PM
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

There is no doubt that calories are important. But there are other issues to consider as well, such as metabolism, exercise, and the thermic effect of food. These can determine how you process those calories, and may explain why some people don't lose weight eating the exact same amount of calories as someone who does.

Based on the sample menu you sent, you are not eating very many calories to explain such weight gain. You can email me privately by choosing the "Send PM" (private message) option if you feel upset. I am pretty sure these folks are just trying to help.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 271 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org