21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Cholesterol
Created on: 12/01/12 07:04 PM Views: 1957 Replies: 7
Cholesterol
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

When I initially went vegan in January, my cholesterol dropped from 270+ to 210 and then 190. Then it jumped right back up. What caused this?

RE: Cholesterol
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

If nothing else changed, I'd say it was possibly an error in testing or some other occurrence that could throw a lipid test. I would suggest retesting.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I'm just wondering if my body had a strong reaction to the vegan diet and then over-compensated and went back to "normal." Does fat intake affect cholesterol? I'm guessing that it affects triglycerides. True?

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I'm just wondering if my body had a strong reaction to the vegan diet and then over-compensated and went back to "normal." Does fat intake affect cholesterol? I'm guessing that it affects triglycerides. True?

Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I've never heard of over-compensating cholesterol. However, YES - fat does influence cholesterol. Saturated fat will drive internal cholesterol up and thus your readings more than eating dietary cholesterol itself.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I'm glad to hear that fat can influence cholesterol. I saute vegetables with water vs oil. I use Earth Balance on my popcorn about 5 times a week. Eat out very seldom. Have a peanut butter sandwich about once a week. I'll try some popcorn salt vs the Earth balance, stop the peanut butter sandwiches and see if that helps. I appreciate the insight.

Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Also, the kickstart includes lots of whole grains like oatmeal. If you've gotten away from that, even if you've stayed vegan, that could affect it as well. I know that when hubby started having oatmeal every morning, even though we weren't quite vegan yet (still eating poultry and fish, plus dairy and eggs), his cholesterol dropped so much in 6 months time (between dr visits) that the dr did a double take at the numbers! It did creep back up, even as we ate less and less animal product stuff, because there's still the genetic component (which is not good in his family). Hubby and I basically eat the same stuff and his cholesterol requires meds to stay in a firmly healthy range where my readings are super good without meds - I inherited an amazing profile from my dad (last time it was tested a few months ago, both HDL and LDL were in the mid-70s and triglycerides were good as well). And, for some people, they need to watch their intake of processed grains like flour even if it's organic and real whole wheat (we grind our own wheat berries to make flour - and the wheat is grown on a local organic farm 2 miles from our house here in CT! whoohoo!)

--Deb R

Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hi Deb,
Your cholesterol is so low - that's great! I'm going to refocus on the whole grains also to see if that helps. Thanks for the ideas!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 335 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org