21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: amount of food????
Created on: 05/01/13 09:52 PM Views: 2103 Replies: 9
amount of food????
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Need a little help with amount of food. I need to lose 20 pounds and reduce cholesterole. Planning my menus would be easier if I knew what amounts to eat, how much starch, is there a limit on fruit, servings of protein foods, etc. Or, is this the wrong approach?
Can someone give me some direction on this please?
thanks.

RE: amount of food????
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM

This program is has unlimited recommendations for fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes! The idea is that if you make this qualitative shift in your diet, the quantity works itself out. The fiber in these foods will fill you up along with abundant nutrients and fewer digestible calories.

What should be limited or eliminated are fatty foods like oil and highly-refined foods like sugar, white bread, etc.

So, there are no serving size recommendations with our meal ideas, because they are low-fat and vegan. Eat until you are satisfied.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, May 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I seem to have the opposite issue - the kickstart menu has much too much food for me. I'm a petite older gal, very active on my little farm, but can't eat the volume of food offered. I need to scale it down. Not sure if I can follow the menu ideas without gaining weight!

Luckily I love to cook, not so fond of eating, but I'm going to follow the menu, just eat small servings. This way I can cook extra of another day!

Great ideas! Lovin it! P

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

reddog456 wrote:

Need a little help with amount of food. I need to lose 20 pounds and reduce cholesterole. Planning my menus would be easier if I knew what amounts to eat, how much starch, is there a limit on fruit, servings of protein foods, etc. Or, is this the wrong approach?
Can someone give me some direction on this please?
thanks.

Hey reddog,

I so empathize with your concern - as a veteran dieter, portion sizes ruled the day to keep us in a correct calorie allotment and it can make you feel a bit out of control without those guidelines.

Susan underscores a note of huge importance - with a whole foods, low fat plant foods diet your body can be your guide. This is the only way those of us with a predisposition to easily gain weight (I fought my weight problem for 30 years or more and finally budged off my all-time high 17 years ago with whole foods plant-based, never to look back - if that helps! Very Happy) can eat according to appetite. And that is the beauty of it!

I find that when people come to me for help with 'how much' that they are best reassured when I show them how much I can - do - and MUST eat with this eating style. It's a wonderful way to live.

You should find the menus of help - if you need an extra insight, you can download a sampler of my Plant-Based Blueprint for free at my website. Simply click on 'THE FOOD' in the navigation bar at the top or pop your email into the box provided in the header so you can have instant access.

Hope this helps!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Susan underscores a note of huge importance - with a whole foods, low fat plant foods diet your body can be your guide. This is the only way those of us with a predisposition to easily gain weight (I fought my weight problem for 30 years or more and finally budged off my all-time high 17 years ago with whole foods plant-based, never to look back - if that helps! Very Happy) can eat according to appetite. And that is the beauty of it! Lani

This is one of the hardest things to learn (or re-learn because babies start off knowing it) - how to eat according to appetite. We're trained starting very young to eat at certain times, to 'clean our plates', etc. Then, when weight becomes an issue, some diet plan tells us when, what and how much to eat. But nowhere in there does it account for eating according to appetite. What can help is having many servings of a food - that is, start with one 'serving' (whether that's a cup of stir fry or a tablespoon of nut butter or a slice of bread or whatever). Then, have a few sips of water and decide if you want more - how does your body feel? Have a second 1/2 size serving. Repeat the pause and consultation with your body. Have a 1/4 size serving if your body needs more. Odds are good that by this point, you'll be 'done'. I don't say "full" deliberately because we've learned to be overfull or hungry but never comfortably satisfied. That's something that my husband finds interesting eating this way - in his family growing up, it was eat until you're 'stuffed' then have dessert. But now, he'll just stop and say "that's good, if I eat any more I'll be uncomfortable".
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Susan underscores a note of huge importance - with a whole foods, low fat plant foods diet your body can be your guide. This is the only way those of us with a predisposition to easily gain weight (I fought my weight problem for 30 years or more and finally budged off my all-time high 17 years ago with whole foods plant-based, never to look back - if that helps! Very Happy) can eat according to appetite. And that is the beauty of it! Lani

This is one of the hardest things to learn (or re-learn because babies start off knowing it) - how to eat according to appetite. We're trained starting very young to eat at certain times, to 'clean our plates', etc. Then, when weight becomes an issue, some diet plan tells us when, what and how much to eat. But nowhere in there does it account for eating according to appetite. What can help is having many servings of a food - that is, start with one 'serving' (whether that's a cup of stir fry or a tablespoon of nut butter or a slice of bread or whatever). Then, have a few sips of water and decide if you want more - how does your body feel? Have a second 1/2 size serving. Repeat the pause and consultation with your body. Have a 1/4 size serving if your body needs more. Odds are good that by this point, you'll be 'done'. I don't say "full" deliberately because we've learned to be overfull or hungry but never comfortably satisfied. That's something that my husband finds interesting eating this way - in his family growing up, it was eat until you're 'stuffed' then have dessert. But now, he'll just stop and say "that's good, if I eat any more I'll be uncomfortable".
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

--DebR

Great advice Deb and that's exactly what I suggest people do.

However, there's another component that I don't want to skim over - and that is the fear that comes up with stepping into eating freedom. It's the caged bird all over again, and is important to address. I recommend people in this kind of transition to practice stress reduction activity - such as any form of meditation or breathing exercise - to help deal with the anxiety of this change. It was critical for me.

Let me ask you DebR - do you think it is helpful for people to see a guide of amounts, not from a limiting standpoint, but from the standpoint of how much they can really eat? In my experience when people see that my meal included not "1/2 cup of rice' or '1/2 of a potato', but 1.5 cups of rice and 3 potatoes - they are always encouraged and the door to the cage budges open a bit more. Interested in your thoughts!

Lani

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Let me ask you DebR - do you think it is helpful for people to see a guide of amounts, not from a limiting standpoint, but from the standpoint of how much they can really eat? In my experience when people see that my meal included not "1/2 cup of rice' or '1/2 of a potato', but 1.5 cups of rice and 3 potatoes - they are always encouraged and the door to the cage budges open a bit more. Interested in your thoughts!

Lani

Not so much - for me, I look at it and think "yeah, but she does x amount of exercise or doesn't have y health issues, so that's way too much/too little/whatever for me." I do much better just seeing the 'standard' serving size and nutritional info (calories, carbs, fiber, protein, etc.) and then starting with one serving - "okay, I had one serving of diced alien stomach and I felt like this. It had this much of this and that much of that. next time, I'll try having less/more and see how I feel" (BTW 'alien stomach' is our family nickname for celery root Laughing no actual aliens harmed in the preparation of that food) But then again I do software testing for a living, so that test, evaluate, retry, type cycle is how I think.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Lani

Not so much - for me, I look at it and think "yeah, but she does x amount of exercise or doesn't have y health issues, so that's way too much/too little/whatever for me." I do much better just seeing the 'standard' serving size and nutritional info (calories, carbs, fiber, protein, etc.) and then starting with one serving - "okay, I had one serving of diced alien stomach and I felt like this. It had this much of this and that much of that. next time, I'll try having less/more and see how I feel" (BTW 'alien stomach' is our family nickname for celery root Laughing no actual aliens harmed in the preparation of that food) But then again I do software testing for a living, so that test, evaluate, retry, type cycle is how I think.

--DebR

Thanks. Just to clarify, then you would respond well to a description that said for daily consumption, x servings of vegetables, x servings of....? The need to have a guideline is so immediate and takes time to override.

PLUS people seem to think I exercise all the time - just because I teach and coach fitness. My message is simple, easy, moderate and when you get the food right everything else goes so much better.

Lani

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That's pretty much what I do (based on the kickstart) - I try to get a certain amount of fruits, veggies, whole grains, proteins in each day and vary things (spinach, kale, bok choy, chard, etc. for leafy greens - not just one kind over and over). I know that, for me, if I start to get too grain heavy, it becomes a problem (weight, glucose) even if they're good whole grains (barley, quinoa, oats, brown rice, and so on). So, I try to keep to smaller portions of grains and lots of assorted veggies. Also, having someone say "4 servings per day of this" is what I'd consider a very flexible base point but I could end up finding that 2 servings of that, or 6 servings of that, is a better fit for me. Yeah, I want to make the decisions myself...control issues I guess Wink
--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 474 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: ojamba

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org