21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Confused about fat % per serving
Created on: 06/27/13 11:47 AM Views: 942 Replies: 3
Confused about fat % per serving
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hi All!
I've been vegan for 20 years...but I'm one of those fat vegans due to eating the wrong foods. So...I'm starting the 21day Kickstart today.
I love Amy's burritos and Gardein products but it seems that every single one of them 'fails' the guidelines for allowed fat/fat%.
For example, Amy's Vegan Bean Burrito is 320 calories, 8g fat, 70 cal from fat. The Gardein 'chicken' breast is 120 calories, 4.5 g fat, 40 cal from fat.
Don't you just divide 40 cal into 120 calories? So it would be 33%. Maybe I'm just missing something...Or am I forgetting my basic math principles? Ha!
Any help in setting me straight would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

SLINDSAY423

RE: Confused about fat % per serving
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

SLINDSAY423 wrote:

Hi All!
I've been vegan for 20 years...but I'm one of those fat vegans due to eating the wrong foods. So...I'm starting the 21day Kickstart today.
I love Amy's burritos and Gardein products but it seems that every single one of them 'fails' the guidelines for allowed fat/fat%.
For example, Amy's Vegan Bean Burrito is 320 calories, 8g fat, 70 cal from fat. The Gardein 'chicken' breast is 120 calories, 4.5 g fat, 40 cal from fat.
Don't you just divide 40 cal into 120 calories? So it would be 33%. Maybe I'm just missing something...Or am I forgetting my basic math principles? Ha!
Any help in setting me straight would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

SLINDSAY423

it might be easier to just look at how many calories (average) you plan to eat for the day, figure 10% of that number and then work from there. So, for the "typical 2000 calorie" RDA, that would be 200 calories from fat. So the above two items would be a bit over half your fat for the day. That way, if one item is a little high but it helps you stay on track, you can adjust elsewhere to stay in the overall 10% for the day. Even better, though, is to toss the highly processed faux meats and look at the fresh, whole foods in the kickstart (very little in the way of processed food overall).

While you're at it, you might also look at the sodium levels in those products - I looked at a couple varieties and they range from 300 to 400 mgs of sodium per serving.

--DebR

Posted Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I agree with what Bugsmom said, but I personally find it easier to just stick to low fat items 100% of the time so I don't have to do math throughout the day to see if my overall diet remained within 10% fat. This just means avoiding processed packaged foods and oil. If you make your own food from whole plant foods, your fat content will stay within that 10% range (minimizing nuts, seeds, avocados, and olives of course).

And your math was backwards. 40 calories from fat out 120 calories is 30% fat.

120/40=30

(you did 40/120=.333)

And good luck! I thought going vegan was the easy part. It's the SOS addiction that is tough to beat.

(SOS=salt, oil, sugar)d

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Agreed. If you aren't eating packaged (fat added) foods and you're not adding oil yourself (liquid or margarine or what-have-you) then you will, by default, without any counting generally stay within the range. The caveat is keeping an eye on higher fat veg items like nuts and avocado and coconut. All vegan things but higher in fat content. However, it's hard to eat a LOT of those things - a little is plenty so you end up satisfied AND within range.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 822 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org