21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: What is your favorite food or recipe?
Created on: 10/28/13 05:17 PM Views: 2757 Replies: 15
What is your favorite food or recipe?
Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I am still beginning and finding what I like to eat. I have had a few things that were so plain and dry, yuk! Mostly I find I am missing oil! This was a big surprise for me. I can do fine without sugar, meat, eggs, even cheese which is tough, but no oil to roast veggies etc makes them difficult to eat. If I crave anything it is usually chips. I have been making soups which are a lot tastier and easy way for me to get tons of veggies Smile but I need to find some other ways too.

One food I found at my local store, is a muesli without sugar or oil! and I love it with almond milk. I live in a smallish town, I guess it is perspective lol. I moved from California several years ago and when I talked about this being a small town(20,000), my coworkers would mention growing up in towns of 1000-5000 population lol. Anyway, no Whole Foods except in 2 towns in my state 4 hours away! Not even Eugene- a college town known for its bike paths and health orientation!

I am also lucky to have Dave's Killer bread, and I wanted to make hummus, but my store has no Tahini! When I asked I was told the company (MaraNatha) shut it down 3rd year in a row, and it has been unavailable for 6 months! I need to make it without, but I haven't yet. Do you have a favorite sandwich?

I also just discovered that Nalley's and Hormel have a Vegetarian, 99% fat free chili. Now it is processed, has other ingredients, but in a pinch it is better than breaking down and eating something my husband brings home ( chicken strips etc). I have not tried it yet, but hope they are good ! I did break down a week ago and had some regular chili with brown rice though, so hoping this will be a better alternative. I have fibromyalgia and do not always feel well to cook.

would love to hear about one of your favorites or back ups ! thanks

Edited 10/28/13 5:21 PM
RE: What is your favorite food or recipe?
Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Some veggies taste good roasted with lemon juice, especially Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and carrots. Like candy!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My favorite breakfast recipe is Zeb's Waffles from "My Beef With Meat" by Rip Esselstyn. They're not fluffy but hearty waffles like a bowl of oatmeal in a waffle. My family loves them.

Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Try making Black Bean Chili. It's one of the few vegan meals that my daughter (a very picky non-vegan) has asked me to make. You can use either canned or dried beans. I have added a can of kidney beans to stretch the recipe further for unexpected guests. NOBODY ever misses the meat when they've got a big bowl of this chili with some cornbread! It's made pretty much like regular chili, with the onions, peppers, seasonings, and tomatoes except without the meat. Also lasagne made with tofu, spinach, and mushrooms. (I made that gluten free for a particular guest at my daughter's wedding.)

My local Target has some vegan options like Morningstar burgers, etc and some vegan soups and chili. Just open a can or pull it out of the freezer!

Jen

Edited 10/28/13 5:47 PM
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Beans are really rich and creamy. Canned beans -- kidney, white, pinto, black, Cannellini, chili, Great Northern, Navy -- are a fabulous time saver. Try different manufacturers and types of canned beans until you find the ones that you like best. I love the flavor of the sauce on S&W Chili beans, so that is one I combine with brown rice, or a tortilla to make a fast meal when there isn't time to cook. I have a great Sanyo rice cooker which prepares perfect brown rice every time. Has anyone found an automatic bean cooker?

email
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Hello
Just wanted to answer question above re bean cooker - I haven't found a bean cooker BUT I've found using a pressure cooker is awesome - cooks, really very quickly & perfectly & is amazing for beans, lentils, pulses, vegetables even rice & porridge. In the past pressure cookers had a bad reputation because people often over cooked or they didn't have controls but modern ones are very easy to use & control. Well worth a try Smile

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Thank you for a wonderful suggestion. I had no idea that today's electric pressure cookers can be used as slow cookers, fast cookers, & rice cookers -- all combined in one appliance.

email
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Thank you for a wonderful suggestion. I had no idea that today's electric pressure cookers can be used as slow cookers, fast cookers, & rice cookers -- all combined in one appliance.

email
Posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I admit I miss the olive oil too, but healthy sautéing in organic vegetable broth works. I make up my own vegetable broth with celery, carrots, onion, parsley and garlic plus cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes. Then I freeze it in ice cube molds and use it over steamed veggies or baked potato.

Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I've found excellent recipes on two blogs in particular--Fat Free Vegan and Post Punk Kitchen. The owner of the latter blog has written several cookbooks--Appetite for Reduction is a favourite in my kitchen. I made up an easy chili recipe recently. Throw the following into a slow cooker and it seems to come out well: 28 ounce can diced tomatoes; can of red kidney beans rinsed and drained; smallish can of corn niblets drained; chopped jalapeno; chili powder to taste; cumin to taste; a chopped onion; minced clove of garlic, stalk of celery, two peeled and diced carrots, some chopped green pepper, if desired. That's all. Goes well over cooked brown rice.

Edited 12/08/13 11:09 AM
Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

[quote="psmith7"]I've found excellent recipes on two blogs in particular--Fat Free Vegan and Post Punk Kitchen. The owner of the latter blog has written several cookbooks--Appetite for Reduction is a favourite in my kitchen. quote]

I love Fat Free Vegan and PPK too. Also Happy Herbivore. I have all 4 of her cookbooks, but she also has a weekly meal plan you buy, recipes on her website, and now a cooking show on Ustream.

It's hard to pick just one favorite, but I tend to eat veggie burgers, stir fries, tacos, etc. since I have 2 younger kids. That type of food is easier to get them to try. My kids prefer black bean burgers over hamburgers, which makes cooking easier for sure! Smile

Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

BANANA/OAT/DATE BARS Mash 2 very ripe very large bananas until essentially liquid. Stir in 1 tsp. vanilla. Add 2 cups rolled oats (old fashioned) and stir in. Add 2 cups pitted very finely chopped dates. The dates stick together but work them in the oats with your fingers so they separate into little bits. Optional addition is 1/4 cup chopped nuts and a sprinkling of grated cinnamon or nutmeg. I have grandchildren allergic to nuts so I use dried cranberries or raisins instead of the nuts. Pat the thick mixture into an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in preheated 350F oven. You have to run a knife around the sides when removed from the oven, but then you can turn the whole square out. Cool and cut into squares. These are WAY better, much chewier and softer with better flavor, after being in a Ziplock bag for a day.

Posted Friday, December 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Favorite foods..
Stir frys of any kind.. curry, orange sauce, kung pao are all very good.

Pizza w/no cheese, leek & baby bella mushrooms.

Salsa, Red Beans & Brown Rice (with green peppers)

Not Tuna Salad Sandwich made w/chickpeas & walnuts

3 Bean Chili

Cornbread made with flax seed (better than moms!)

Various Salads.. edamame Salad, cowboy caviar,

Cindys Vegan Recipes
https://www.facebook.com/groups/125075927567975/

Edited 12/13/13 10:43 AM
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM

My favourite recipe is Chocolates and Ice creams..I like them a lot and I'm found of them..Any new ice cream recipe please.

frozen yoghurt mix

Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM

My favourite recipe is Chocolates and Ice creams..I like them a lot and I'm found of them..Any new ice cream recipe please.

frozen yoghurt mix

Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM

While chocolate can be vegan, ice cream isn't, but fear not! Vegan options are available! One of my favorites to satisfy the cravings for both chocolate and ice cream is So Delicious Dairy free Mocha Fudge. So Delicious comes in a wide variety of flavors and tastes like the "real thing"! Regular yogurt is also made from cow's milk, although there are vegan yogurts available.

Jen

Edited 02/17/14 11:33 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1194 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org