21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: No smoothies??
Created on: 06/21/13 10:29 PM Views: 5146 Replies: 25
RE: No smoothies??
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hey Theodore - you know I love smoothies, right? But, we don't use them as a substitute for fresh fruit and veg. Smoothies, for us, are a cool treat - usually almond milk, raw cocoa, frozen berries, banana, a bit of sweetener if needed (agave or maple syrup usually). We'll have them with a bowl of popcorn and a movie. The 'green smoothies' are a no-go for us - for me, they're too 'grassy' tasting which is just a no from me - even though I'll eat a big spinach salad no problem.

--DebR

RE: No smoothies??
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Hey Theodore - you know I love smoothies, right? But, we don't use them as a substitute for fresh fruit and veg. Smoothies, for us, are a cool treat - usually almond milk, raw cocoa, frozen berries, banana, a bit of sweetener if needed (agave or maple syrup usually). We'll have them with a bowl of popcorn and a movie. The 'green smoothies' are a no-go for us - for me, they're too 'grassy' tasting which is just a no from me - even though I'll eat a big spinach salad no problem.

Exactly.

Wash your back

RE: No smoothies??
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Hey Everyone!

I'm enjoying this lively conversation. It brings to mind a post I made on the plant-based fitness blog about a year ago re: smoothies.

You'd think I'd asked people to give up their firstborn, the response was so dramatic! Though I clearly present the pros and cons of "to smoothie or not to smoothie" many readers became defensive of their smoothies!

As I say in the article concluding comments:


Quote:

First and foremost, I'm interested in getting people to eat more plants. And if digestion is a problem, or someone for some reason or another is unable to chew well, green smoothies with some fruit may provide a valuable source of nutrition. It may serve as a way to draw children in to loving their greens (see Smoothie, the Movie). And athletes may benefit from the large calorie load and fuel replenishment you can get in the form of a blended plant drink.

also


Quote:

But if weight, blood sugar, and insulin levels are a concern to you, then the answer to the question "to smoothie or not to smoothie?" may be clearer. Occasional? Sure. Every day? Maybe not.

Here's the link to the article:
To Smoothie or not to Smoothie

And the link to a smoothie movie for the kids, which is also in the article above:

Smoothie - the movie

Enjoy what you eat!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

www
RE: No smoothies??
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

christl wrote:

I certainly appreciate more fruits/vegetables.....

Or as they're called in the UK: Colbies and Carringtons.

Wash your back

Edited 06/28/13 2:45 PM
RE: No smoothies??
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM

theodore wrote:

christl wrote:
I certainly appreciate more fruits/vegetables.....

Or as they're called in the UK: Colbies and Carringtons.

Really? why is that? The only Carringtons I know are from the old night time soap opera Dynasty and I don't think any of them were vegetables... Wink
--DebR

RE: No smoothies??
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Really? why is that? The only Carringtons I know are from the old night time soap opera Dynasty and I don't think any of them were vegetables... Wink

I must admit now that I think about it, I'm actually the only person I know who calls them that. But I suspect that a lot of people here (if not everyone) refers to them that way in private. So I stand by what I said.

That's not a coincidence about Dynasty, by the way. That's where the knicknames come from. Or at least it would be if they ever catch on.

Wash your back


New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 111 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: ellenann

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org