21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: alternatives to soy milk, good/bad?
Created on: 01/13/14 03:13 PM Views: 1145 Replies: 5
alternatives to soy milk, good/bad?
Posted Monday, January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Hello everyone,
My apologies if this is a question asked too much, sorry you are maybe tired to hear it. But I feel there is too much information on soya milk, therefore, I do not know how to separate truth from fiction.

IF I am a mid-age adult woman (30's) I would think the phytoestrogens are good for me, to prevent early on of menopause? But I'm also worried about the other anti-nutrients they talk about.

As I understand, fermented soy like tofu, soy sauce, and miso soups are best. But with the soy milk, I admit to feeling mixed up! I've heard most people on here seem to like almond milk and coconut milks a lot.

I also worry because soy milk is usually enrich with vitamin B12, and vitamin D...I don't know how to obtain thesevitamins otherwise.

Thank you all for your advice and information. this is a great community! Very Happy Very Happy

RE: alternatives to soy milk, good/bad?
Posted Monday, January 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM

kittens09 wrote:

Hello everyone,
My apologies if this is a question asked too much, sorry you are maybe tired to hear it. But I feel there is too much information on soya milk, therefore, I do not know how to separate truth from fiction.

IF I am a mid-age adult woman (30's) I would think the phytoestrogens are good for me, to prevent early on of menopause? But I'm also worried about the other anti-nutrients they talk about.

As I understand, fermented soy like tofu, soy sauce, and miso soups are best. But with the soy milk, I admit to feeling mixed up! I've heard most people on here seem to like almond milk and coconut milks a lot.

I also worry because soy milk is usually enrich with vitamin B12, and vitamin D...I don't know how to obtain thesevitamins otherwise.

Thank you all for your advice and information. this is a great community! Very Happy Very Happy

As with many things the answer is 'it depends'. Most plant milks (almond, coconut, oat, etc.) are fortified with the same vitamins that soy and dairy are - read the labels to find out how and how much. So that is pretty much a non-issue since they're all pretty much on a level playing field.

As far as the phytoestrogen aspect, I can only say that anything as 'bulk' as soy milk, tofu, tempeh negatively affects me (PMS on-demand). There tends to be enough 'background' soy (things like soy lecithin and 'natural flavors' which are often soybased) that I both avoid those things as much as possible AND I skip the 'bulk' soy to avoid getting into that 'overload' condition.

Why would your body go into meno 'early' when you're in your 30s? I'm not sure I understand the issue here - each body will begin perimenopause when it is ready, soy or not, just as each body began menses when it was ready, soy or not. If you are referring to how some people take estrogen to handle menopause, that is to handle the effects (night sweats, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, etc.) that can accompany menopause - the estrogen is not to hasten or delay the process, only to address issues that accompany it.

Another factor is making sure it's organic and non-GMO because soy is one of the top genetically modified crops around.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Don't worry about asking questions that may have been asked before! All of us were new to this at onetime. I tend to vary the type of milk I'm using to what I'm using it for and for whom I'm making it. One of my nephews can't tolerate anything but rice milk so that's what I use for him. I've made some whole wheat pancakes using almond milk that were delicious! There's no right or wrong type of plant milk to use. Decide what you like best and go for it!

By the way, make sure you're taking a good quality multi-vitamin daily and you'll get vitamins D & B12.

Jen

Edited 01/13/14 4:27 PM
Posted Monday, January 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Thank you all for this. Oh, I meant to say, it's not that I'm afraid of menopause as I am stil in my mid 30's however, I was afraid that taking soy milk, it might bring an early menopause on-set. But if it is estrogen-increasing, then I would think it is the other way around, and that women coming to menopause should have the soy!

But this is great to know, that also almond and oat milks can have those same vitamins and fortified. Thank you all!

Posted Monday, January 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM

definitely try it and see - we tried soy, rice, almond and hemp milks. Rice and oat had too strong a flavor for general use and hemp was just nasty, way to grassy (like eating from the lawn mower bag - ack!) Soy gave me problems - 1/2 cup give or take on cereal in the morning for 3 days in a row was enough to send me over the edge. Plain, unsweetened almond milk is what we use.

The other thing we noticed is that once we stopped using dairy, we pretty much don't actually "drink" milk anymore. We use small amounts on cold cereal (at least, I do, my hubby and son prefer oatmeal and don't put milk on that). We use it for smoothies (banana strawberry raw cocoa powder, with sweetened vanilla almond mild). And, we'll use it for baking if necessary - and we've found ways around many things so we don't even use it then. For small amounts, water usually works just fine (like in pancakes - no egg or dairy or plant milk at all most of the time - hubby grinds the wheat, buckwheat, and whatever else we want to make the batter, we've tried quinoa and lentils and millet and they all work well in pancakes, alongside the wheat).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:33 AM

As I mentioned in a post a few months ago, I was quite surprised to see the difference in the amount of B12 in different brands of almond milk. One brand had none at all, other brands had quite a bit.

So no matter what type of milk you choose, read the labels of the brand you choose to be sure it actually has the B12 and D if that is what you want.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 418 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org