21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: To start 21-day plan
Created on: 07/23/14 11:42 PM Views: 385 Replies: 7
To start 21-day plan
Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I'm seriously thinking of doing this on Aug. 1st. My question is: do you provide a shopping list ahead of time so people can know what to have in their pantry and refrig? I sure don't want to have to go out to get groceries if I get home late from work and I'm tired. Do we get the recipes ahead of start date? Thanks.

RE: To start 21-day plan
Posted Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Yes - you will get a suggested grocery list for basics, and you will also get a preview of the first week's recipes so you can add to the list any ideas that seem appealing. These will come in the pre-Kickstart messages that start about 5 days before day one of the actual Kickstart.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I haven't seen what you have to say about nut butters. My daily breakfast now is:

a high-fiber (9g ), low carb (5g net carbs) tortilla (by Ole Extreme Wellness - 90 calories).

on that I put 1 - 1.5 T nut butter (cashew, almond)

1 T sugar-free jam or apple butter

flax seeds

hemp seeds

Fold & Microwave it - yummy.

Can I continue to have this for breakfast?

I have it with 1 C of coffee (no more rest of day) w/1-2 T Coconut milk creamer and TruVia sweetener.

Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM

so... "save" means "post?"

Edited 07/31/14 9:55 AM
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM

sorry - .

Edited 07/31/14 9:53 AM
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Lizzie wrote:

I haven't seen what you have to say about nut butters. My daily breakfast now is:

a high-fiber (9g ), low carb (5g net carbs) tortilla (by Ole Extreme Wellness - 90 calories).

flax seeds

hemp seeds

I have it with 1 C of coffee (no more rest of day) w/1-2 T Coconut milk creamer and TruVia sweetener.

Nut butters - it depends. One of the tenets of the kickstart is to keep fats to 10% of calories, with no 'added' fats (like oils). So, if the nut butter has no added oil, no added sugar, etc., just ground nuts AND it stays within the 10% of calories parameter for your day, then it's fine.

I'd also make sure you check the ingredient label on the tortilla and make sure it doesn't have any 'questionable' ingredients. Most of the time, the "high fiber/low carb" type things have a lot of chemicals and what I'd consider questionable stuff (adding lots of cellulose, for example, to raise the fiber level but that adds no nutritional value, you may as well eat paper since that's cellulose too). Read the label and decide for yourself. Real, whole foods are important. Ditto with the 'sugar-free' items - if they have no sugar added, fine. if it's something like stevia, okay (as long as it agrees with you). But if they are things like sucralose (Splenda) or aspartame (NutraSweet) and such, you're better off having the real jam, maybe in a smaller amount, than having the chemicals.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Lizzie wrote:

flax seeds

hemp seeds

If you're looking for an alternative to what you're having for breakfast, you might try corn tortillas spread with fat-free refried beans (I buy organic canned FF refried beans) topped with salsa and lettuce (if you like). It makes a nice quick and filling breakfast and fits the guidelines of the kickstart.

Also, have you tried soy milk in your coffee instead of the coconut milk creamer (which is quite high in fat)? I find that it works pretty well for coffee.

Djuna

Posted Friday, August 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I found that I like homemade hummus on a bagel as much as peanut butter or cream cheese, a definite no-no. A hummus recipe is on week 1 of the Kickstart.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 353 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org