21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: mushrooms
Created on: 08/03/13 12:23 PM Views: 1422 Replies: 7
mushrooms
Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I know mushrooms are one of the best foods for you and a lot of recipes call for mushrooms. Neither my grandson or I like mushrooms. It's not hard to substitute when there aren't to many in a recipe, but, what can I substitute for them when it calls for 1 or 2 cups or pounds even? Like in lasagna or pasta recipes. Confused

RE: mushrooms
Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Personnaly, I love mushrooms, but if you don't, consider substituting other vegetables. Say, sliced zucchini for sliced mushrooms. My exhusband didn't want mushrooms in anything so when a recipe called for cream of mushroom soup I used cream of celery.

Jen

Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

They are so very good for you. Why not try to put them in the blender and add them to pasta sauces, etc. You won't even know they're there.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, August 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM

i love mashrooms!! You can use them in form of souse combined with some cream!!!

When I came across the Pass guide I found it absolutely wonderful web source for more information to visit Cognos Best of luck.

Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I love mushrooms but haven't found any of the recipes on the program to contain mushrooms. Crying or Very sad

What I can't find is a way to prepare kale so I am not just eating it like taking a bad tasting medicine, because it's "good for me". Evil or Very Mad

Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I live in the deep south and all they cook their greens with is oil or meat juice. I have tried vegetable broth to sautee with and it has turned out okay. Not great, but even my grandson will tolerate it. Try veg.broth,garlic,and spices you like. I have even put red pepper flakes in them or some southwestern seasoning.

Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM

One of the things with many of the green leafies (kale, chard, spinach) that helps is to be sure to remove the thick vein in the center. Easy way to do that is to fold the leaf (it will fold nicely right at that vein) Then cut right down separating the vein from the leaf - one cut, no fuss.

If you don't LIKE kale, that's fine - substitute any other fresh leafy dark green - chard, spinach, etc.

Our favorite way to handle any of these greens (whatever is on hand) is to sauté in a bit of water/veg stock with garlic and onion, leek or shallot until just wilted (not cooked until mushy but a bit softened). We cook up some brown rice and lentils (in water or stock). Then mix the whole thing together once everything is cooked. We all have our own favorite condiment for this - son likes a bit of soy sauce, hubby likes hot sauce, I do a splash of a good balsamic vinegar. Same basic plan works with quinoa as well - Put onion and garlic in a pot until softened (not caramelized) and add dry quinoa. Toast for about a minute then add liquid to cook quinoa. While that cooks, wilt the greens in liquid. Mix the resulting cooked parts together and serve.

--DebR

Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

My family likes this Massaged Kale Salad (omit oil)

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Massaged-Kale-Salad-_Aarti-Sequeira_-Food_com-168122

We also like to make a massaged kale salad by massaging a whole mashed avocado into a bunch of chopped kale. Add a little lime juice, salt, pepper, etc.

Also, I like any type of kale but my granddaughter thinks the curly kale tastes grassy. I think it is best cooked. Lacinato (aka Dinosaur kale) is better for salads, especially if you have a family member who doesn't like the "grassy taste."

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 572 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: ojamba

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org