21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: uncomfortable feelings surfacing
Created on: 03/22/13 10:20 AM Views: 935 Replies: 4
uncomfortable feelings surfacing
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

This week I have been letting go of a lot of my unhealthy comfort food . I had gained a pound and a half last week and thought to myself -right, time to get a bit more serious, going vegan is not enough.

Naturally feelings I normally supress through overeating, or eating unhealthy foods, are coming to the surface.

I am determined to sit with my feelings experience them, recognize them and carry on - so my eating has been quite good this week. My husband and I experienced a great loss last year and this is where a lot of the weight started to pack on for me.

Although this forum is about nutrition, I think this is a very relevant conversation. I think this is how many of us fail at sticking to a healthy way of eating despite the knoweldge we have. For many of us unhealthy foods have an attraction in that they can temporarily numb us or comfort us. The bad feeling remains, but at least we could escape from it for a moment.

I've read that overeating and compulsively eating foods that are bad for us( as opposed to other coping behaviours) is a common coping mechanism for those of us who are suffering emotionally but must carry on, go to work each day, care for others etc.

So for me, adopting this PCRM way of eating is more about my physical health. It's also about learning to not just cope but to take care of myself, really look after myself when life gets tough.

Anyone else finding this- that uncomfortable feelings are coming to the surface as you follow this way of eating?

Edited 03/22/13 1:36 PM
RE: uncomfortable feelings surfacing
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I try not to have any guilty feelings if I slip and eat something not on the diet. I think that's the most important thing. Unfortunately, most of us have experienced less than positive people in our lives and we sometimes let them get to us. It's probably important for you to focus on yourself and not let those other people influence your thoughts or behaviors too much - I know that's hard as some behaviors may be ingrained after a while.
I try to find substitutes. For example, I used to put butter in my oatmeal and even vegan margarine is too much fat for me. What works - almond milk in my oatmeal. Look for those kind of positive things.
What you're doing is great and keep it up - just one step at a time.

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Thanks for your reply Hunybunny.

Margarine in your oatmeal? OMG, that's just crazy Wink I'm laughing cause I have a true fondess for margarine and will put it on anything, but never felt inspired to put it in oatmeal. However, margarine is not something I keep in the fridge any longer.

I'm lucky that I don't feel guilty when I eat "bad" food. Being healthy and leaner is something I want for myself, but I don't see being less than healthy or being overweight as morally wrong. My husband still finds me sexy at the weight I am now, so losing weight and being physically healthier is something I really am doing just for myself.

Everyday little slights and offenses are always things that roll off easily for me. These are just the "oh well" sort of things to me. What has within this past year sent me on a course of regular numbing with food - is big sadness. Grief, as I said my husband and I suffered a terrible loss last year, and we've been grieving.

Despite the sadness being closer to the surface and more difficult to ignore (after all huge loss is not forgotten or recovered from overnight) I still intend to let myself experience this sadness as I stick to a low fat more whole foods vegan diet.
Because I'm very tired of carrying this extra weight, and I know from experience that stuffing down grief with food does not make it go away. Better to feel it, acknowledge it, cry if needed, talk with someone if needed and carry on until the sadness is inevitably triggered again- then lather rinse repeat. And one day the loss will not hurt so damn much - the pain will still be there, but a little easier to bear.

Anyone going through something similar? Maybe not a huge loss like we've suffered, but some not very nice emotions coming up as you avoid the comforting and numbing effects of crappy food.

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

ps. Hunybunny, I think you are doing awesome too. Giving up margarine and butter on your oatmeal, which to me sounds delicious Very Happy certainly a step in the right direction - well done! Go Us! I for one am celebrating all these positive changes I'm making.

Okay, right I'm off work early, so time to go home, hit the laundry and enjoy the weekend - free of binge eating Very Happy

Have a good weekend everyone, and I'll see you again on Monday.

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Hi Cricket,
You have my well wishes. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 260 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org