21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: kickstart question
Created on: 03/22/13 09:54 AM Views: 1480 Replies: 5
kickstart question
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM

This might be a stupid question, but I could not find it anywhere. I don't see a lot of salad sides or vegetable sides on the 21 day program. If I am going to do the 21 day kickstart, are salads & extra veggies OK? Or are you supposed to stick to the program exactly as written.

RE: kickstart question
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Great observation! Our menu is stacked with recipes, but we should point out that one-ingredient ideas such as vegetables and, of course, salads are always welcome. There is no limit on either. Watch the dressings though!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

No need to stick to it verbatim if what you're adding is more veggies. Some folks have to adjust things anyhow due to other issues like gluten intolerance or allergies to certain foods (tomatoes, berries, whatever). Other folks have to adjust things because they seriously dislike or can't find certain items.

--DebR

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It would be great to have some low fat ideas for "bitter" vegetables which I used to temper with garlic and olive oil. Does anyone have recipes for things like mustard greens, broccoli rabe or bitter melon? Or is (oh no!) adding a bit of oil okay in the preparation? Question

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I've read that boiling bitter vegetables first can help tame them. You could also roast them for a long time in a marinade that has a little sweetness to it; for example, add a tablespoon of molasses, maple syrup, or apple juice.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hmmm. I haven't tried roasting them nor a sweetish sauce. As it was, I did parboil for a few minutes before the oil-garlic sauté.

Thanks for the idea on roasting, though. I'll give it a try.

Of course there are other veggies out there, but... sometimes, the palate craves that bit of bitterness!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 67 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kittens09

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org