21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: non-dairy creamer
Created on: 02/01/13 03:11 AM Views: 2938 Replies: 13
non-dairy creamer
Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I am a bit confused by something...why do the non-dairy creamers, like Coffee Mate and International Delight, all have trans-fat? It seems the dairy ones, are healthier right? Because thereis no trans-fat...

At times like these, how do we decide upon the vegan friendly products when they are more risky for our heart and health?

RE: non-dairy creamer
Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 5:21 AM

What about using soy, rice or almond milk in your coffee?

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Despite its name, "non-dairy creamer" is not dairy-free. It is made with cow's milk, and yes, hydrogenated (trans) fats. Always check the ingredients as names and labels can be very misleading.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I used to take both sugar and creamer in my coffee until I worked somewhere that neither was available so I stopped using them. Now coffee doesn't taste right to me with anything in it. That said, yesterday when I was in Whole Foods getting some Soy milk, I noticed some liquid coffee creamer next to the plant milks in the "dairy" case. Because I don't use anything like that I didn't look closely at them but perhaps one of those products would work for you.

Jennifer

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Silk makes both a soy based and a coconut milk based coffee creamer. The coconut milk based is great and is not coconut flavored nor sweet. These are thicker than "milk", and do not curdle. I also use this occ. in cooking, as "cream". They are processed, though, but better than most alternatives.

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Sorry, the above-named coconut milk based creamer that I highly recommend is NOT by Silk ..... It is by So Delicious.

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My dad used to take coffee with cream/milk and sugar. Then, many years ago, the dr told him he needed to lose weight. They discussed his daily intake - he was having 5 to 6 cups of coffee per day. By cutting the milk and sugar from his coffee, he lost weight right off with no other changes.

For me, I can't use the "non dairy" creamers as the hydrogenated fats cause nasty digestive issues - Learned that the hard way some years ago Sad
I figure if I need to hide the flavor of the coffee with sugar and other stuff, then maybe I really don't actually like coffee as much as I thought, instead I like the sweet flavor of the cream and sugar Wink Now, I just drink a good rousing caffeine free cup of herbal tea (Bengal Spice has a nice kick to it in the morning) no cream or sugar needed.

--DebR

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My family members use the Coffeemate creamers. The small container, after it is emptied, comes in handy for storage. I rip the label off, wash it out and let it dry, then fill with nutritional yeast. It's handy to just flip the lid and sprinkle on my steamed vegetables. I also put ground flax seed in one in the fridge to easly add it to my oatmeal. (I keep what won't fit in the Coffeemate container in the freezer.) I found that if you flip the lid upside down and set it on the bottle, it works as a handy funnel which helps to fill it.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Here's another suggestion for enjoying coffee without some of the flavored dairy creamers. Try a little cinnamon or nutmeg or the spices of your choice. Yes, you may want some sugar, but you may be able to for go the cream and get an exotic treat!

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Here's another suggestion for enjoying coffee without some of the flavored dairy creamers. Try a little cinnamon or nutmeg or the spices of your choice. Yes, you may want some sugar, but you may be able to for go the cream and get an exotic treat!

Jennifer

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone, these ideas
are great =)

I'd love to know more about where I could find the soy or coconut coffee creamers. These sound so interesting! I realize they are perhaps still processed...but if I'm correct, they don't have trans-fat?

I am in northern Virginia at the moment, so there's places like Whole Foods near me. Would I be able to find these here?

Also, which plant milk do most people seem to prefer? I find that soy is the most common to be found, also it's the only option in coffee shops. But I've heard great things about coconut and maybe rice milk?

I can't have almond milk as I'm allergic, but I don't have allergies to coconut.

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Whole Foods would be the perfect place to find these things as well as other vegan friendly foods.

Jennifer

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The So Delicious creamer is made from coconut milk, has 0 trans fat, 0 fat and only 1gram each sugar and carb. Most any HFS should have,as well as some regular grocery stores. I also have access to a large commissary, and they also carry it which means people were asking for it, as their organic stuff is hit or miss.

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

DianeJ wrote:

The So Delicious creamer is made from coconut milk, has 0 trans fat, 0 fat and only 1gram each sugar and carb. Most any HFS should have,as well as some regular grocery stores. I also have access to a large commissary, and they also carry it which means people were asking for it, as their organic stuff is hit or miss.

So Delicious is the only non-dairy creamer I was ever able to really take to - the soy ones always leave a beany taste for me! And I admit that cream in my coffee was the last dairy to go for me Rolling Eyes.

Best thing is to find a beverage you enjoy black - or green? Tea, cafe, whatever it is you will be able to change your tastes in a few days or weeks if devoted and consistent and it is SO worth it! Take it from someone who knows!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 503 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org