21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Alternatives and hunger pains
Created on: 05/26/14 09:08 AM Views: 398 Replies: 6
Alternatives and hunger pains
Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Hi, newbie alert Very Happy
I'm 53yrs of age, vegan and classed as obese (100kg) I have high BP and cholesterol. I am trying to do it right this time! The last 4 mths I have been working out 5 days a week, all cardio and 3 days of them weights. (30 - 45 mins) I have been struggling to loose any weight with my max been 3.9 kilo. I eat healthy but obviously to much! So I decided to search for a low cal plan to help get my body working, here I am. Very Happy

I am on day 2 of the kickstart and fairly hungry. Crying or Very sad

1. what can I have for snacks on an evening (when I usually ate the most) the baked chickpeas? oatmeal banana bites?

2.What are the best drinks while on the plan as it does not seem to say anything about liquids to consume.

I drink at least 2.5 litres of water a day which can be rather boring. Sad

Thanks in advance for any help

If you can live a healthy life without harming animals, why would you?

email
RE: Alternatives and hunger pains
Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Congrats on your decision to improve your health by eating healthier, leolass!

I don't have many ideas for beverages since I've been drinking plain water for quite a while. Adding some lemon juice or crushed mint leaves might help. Some people like unsweetened flavored seltzer water but I haven't tried it.

If you are still hungry, you might not be eating enough. Fill your plate with as many veggies as you want. Vegetable sticks (carrot, celery, zucchini, etc.) and fruit are all good choices for snacks. If you have leftover salad, have another bowl. A baked potato with salsa or another healthy topping will fill you up.

Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Thank you.
Breakfast and lunch fill me up a lot, as does dinner. I am finding late in in the evening is when I feel hungry the most, and trying so hard not to eat or I find I am not hungry in the morning.

I have just made and eaten the Baked blue corn chip salad. OMG it is delish! I could eat it every day.

I was thinking, if the whole day is approx 1200 calories maybe I could skip my afternoon snack and have it after dinner? I want to stick to this as close as possible so I can get the hang of eating better and more nutritious meals instead of pigging out all day and getting nowhere!

I have bought a heap of herbal teas and I will sip on those instead of all water. We are coming into winter now and cold water is, well brrrr, cold!

email
Posted Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Haven't tried the blue corn chip salad but it sounds good. I've been trying to eat bigger salads this week to get in more green veggies.

How's it going? The herbal teas are a good beverage, especially if your getting cold temperatures. We're getting into summer here. If we weren't having so much rain, it would be HOT.

Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Hi,
It is going great, The recipes are fantastic and it is hard to believe they are so filling!

Still having the herbal teas and even the odd warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice first thing in the morning instead of the usual strong coffee!

And the bonus is I have lost almost 7 kilo in a couple of weeks. Smile

email
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 at 2:19 AM

That's great! Good going!

Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

leolass wrote:

I was thinking, if the whole day is approx 1200 calories maybe I could skip my afternoon snack and have it after dinner? I want to stick to this as close as possible so I can get the hang of eating better and more nutritious meals instead of pigging out all day and getting nowhere!

Keep in mind that you may not be getting *enough* calories with the exercise and all. Too few calories consumed not only leaves you hungry (which opens up the way for binges and snacking) but it also slows down weight loss. Weird, right? Nevertheless true. If your body isn't getting the calories it needs, it holds onto everything it gets, it thinks a famine is coming so it protects itself by storing fat for the 'lack' times. And, too, if you are adding muscle with the weights, you may see an increase in weight (muscle is heavier than fat). So, scale weight is not the only measure to go by - do clothes fit better, do you feel better (less sluggish, able to do more of what you want to do), that sort of thing.

As someone said, if you are hungry, have as much fresh veg as you want - carrot sticks, etc. Also, when you feel those 'snackish' feelings, have a glass of water (or a cup of hot herbal, no caffeine, tea). Often hunger and thirst get confused and sometimes that snackish feeling is actually thirst. Then, DO something - tidy or knit or whatever keeps your hands and brain occupied. Sometimes boredom leads to feeling snackish as something to do (especially in the evening). If, after 20-30 minutes, you're STILL snackish, have something.

And, if you see a trend of actually needing a snack in the evening, plan for it - instead of planning 3 bigger meals and then hemming and hawing over a snack, plan for 4 or 5 smaller meals/snacks spread out over the day more.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 400 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org