21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Vegan vs Vegetarian
Created on: 12/13/12 11:36 AM Views: 3022 Replies: 8
Vegan vs Vegetarian
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Lately I have been hearing about a lot of people switching from vegan to vegetarian. Ex: Ellen-she mentioned eating eggs the other day on her show. I've been strictly vegan for over a year now and I don't miss dairy or eggs. It is a challenge to cook without any, but there are plenty of recipes out there.Any thoughts?

RE: Vegan vs Vegetarian
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

For optimal health I choose to avoid eggs and dairy. It's not really about if I'm called vegan or vegetarian, it's about what makes me feel good and lets me age as healthy as possible.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

If it is just a matter of the challenge, lets talk about cooking without eggs and dairy.

Even though it may not be such a challenge to cook without eggs and dairy once you get the hang of it, probably every one of us has a particular recipe they have not remaster vegan style, yet. Maybe we can help each other.

I have made homemade pasta with no eggs... just flour, semolina flour, water... it works just fine.

Any milk, in baking or cooking, can be replaced with a nut milk which is most appropriate for the flavor of the dish.

Eggs are generally not needed either, but different dishes require different approaches. Applesauce / banana is fine in baked goods. Flax seed "egg" is good in burgers and things that may need binding.

And dare I talk about cashew cream OMG! it is delicious. I much prefer using it for creams and icings and toppings to the commercially available "pretend" toppings.

But what about that one thing you haven't cracked yet (pardon the pun). I have not yet found the perfect pancake or french toast, although I recently elected my best "close enough" candidates. The crunchy Country French Toast from food for life is the best I have tried. You can find it here:

http://www.pcrm.org/recipe/cftoast.html

The best pancakes I have found for my taste so far are also related to PCRM, the Chai Spice Pancakes from the meal plan. You can find it here:

http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/meal_plan.cfm#R

I'd appreciate any hints on even better options, and would be happy to share tricks I have discovered or developed with anyone who has a particular food they haven't mastered vegan style yet. There are more than a few others here would I am sure would do the same.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Perfected pancakes
1 cup flour (I use pastry flour made from whole wheat berries), 2 t.baking powder, 1 1/3 cup soy or almond milk, 1/3 cup stevia, 1 t.vanilla.
I like to place frozen blueberries or pecans on top while they are on the griddle.

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

French toast
1/2 cup soy milk, 3T.flour,1/4 t.cinnamon, 1 t. vanilla, 4 pieces of bread. Soak 1 minute each side.

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You really didn't mean 1/3 cup stevia did you?

I imagine they would be just as good with no stevia, especially if I plan to use maple syrup Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yes, 1/3 cup stevia-the kind that measures like sugar. It comes in a big green bag here.Stevia in the raw.

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yes, 1/3 cup stevia-the kind that measures like sugar. It comes in a big green bag here.Stevia in the Raw.

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Oh my, what are they doing to it to give it volume? Luckily I don't need my pancakes to be so sweet, but a lot of people use it here too. I just may not have noticed the new bulkier version because I don't use it.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-stevia-good-for-you/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/99571-dangers-stevia-raw/

madeline yakimchuk

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 515 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org