21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome to 2012
Created on: 12/28/11 06:27 AM Views: 15003 Replies: 42
Welcome to 2012
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Welcome! The new year Kickstarts are my favorite! People are so motivated and ready to change their lives for the better. It's a beautiful thing.

Here's a Kickstart story to get you ready, written by a gentleman at the Harvard School of Public Health, http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/health_stew/.

Cheers to 2012 and improved health!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Welcome to 2012
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Hi Susan, Lani and everyone,

Im back as I havent been so good with my diet in the latter part of 2011. Always vegetarian but not always low-fat vegan and the weight has started to creep on again. Obviously I dont feel I am at my best. Í am looking forward to a fresh start for 2012 as I am studying this year as well as working. I know I need easy to prepare, healthy, energy giving foods to nourish myself and see me through.

Regards,
Christine

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 12/30/11 10:41 PM
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Back again and happy to be here! Thanks for the support and tips!

Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Hi again,
I'm back and hope to see everyone here again. You all are my support and I am looking forward to doing all I can to pitch in here.
I too didn't do too well the last part of 2011. I will do my best to get back to a plant and grain eating plan. I am tired of the aches,pains and food hangover effects from eating the wrong things. And this might be a very good time to tell my story of finding things that I have an intolerance and the effects of meat that I have isolated. When I eat meat, chicken,turkey,beef, I have the worst pains in my joints. I sometime have hot flashes and am very "puffy" like I had a ton of salt. Also, when I have had fish, I begin to feel sick to my stomach, queasy. I have to stop eating it or I feel I will loose it.
As some of you know I have had some problems staying on track.I keep getting info from outside people that are looking at me like I'm nuts and that I should be eating meat and dairy. I am tired of feeling crappy because some people think they know better than my body. So...I am pledging to get healthy. I will watch my copy of Forks Over Knifes every day if I have to and come here for the support that I can lend and receive.
Thank you all.
Aleta

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I love these Kickstarts!! This will be No. 3 for both me and hubby and we are excited to get started. Since starting the Kickstart program, we both have dramatically changed our eating/snacking habits. Yay us!! We don't do things perfectly, and have come to accept that about ourselves. We see each Kickstart as an opportunity to renew our committment to a healthy lifestyle and a chance to overcome another poor eating habit. Very Happy

Posted Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 12:12 AM

This is the 2nd Kickstart for me. As some of the others have stated, I didn't finish 2011 on the best note nutritionally. I'm thinking of handing the rest of the holiday candy to the next solicitor who knocks on my door!

Posted Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Hi all!

This is my 2nd kickstart an I'm very much looking forward to it! I had hoped to have fully transitioned to a plant-strong diet by now (after the first kickstart) but due to some changes in my personal/work life I somehow didn't quite get there. Oh well, I'm not perfect Laughing but it is one of my goals for 2012 to eliminate all dairy products out of my diet as these are the only animal products I consume once in a while (pizza, store-bought baked goods etc).

Also aiming to participate a bit more on this forum than I did last time round Wink

Happy New Year!

Posted Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Hi there. I was ill for much of the end of last year and put on 3 kilos. My goal is to lose 10 kilos. Just getting back into the exercise and healthy eating. Having black bean dip with spelt flat bread to kick off the new year and enjoying organic cherries for something sweet.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Hello everybody! This is my 3rd Kickstart and I'm excited to be doing it again. What makes this one even more exciting for me is that my daughter Myra will be joining me. Myra is an avid runner and has experienced how eating vegan increases her energy level and gives her more stamina. Please welcome and encourage Myra Mason.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Yes, I'm part of the alumni kickstarters, as well. And not proud that I've never completed one 100% compliant. Embarassed I eat mostly healthy, plant-based, but have allowed way too many exceptions! Good luck to everyone!

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I am an alumni kickstarter. I have been eating 100% plant-based thanks to the Kickstarts. During the kickstart time, I make it a rule to myself for those 3 weeks Not to eat any junk food and not to worry what happens after the 3 weeks. Usually after 3 weeks, I naturally continue to eat this way. And if I stray, the next Kickstart gives me a boost. The 21-day Kickstart is awesome.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

hi.. i am back. Love the kickstart. I am hoping it will motivate me to eat a little better and exercise more. While I have eaten 98% plant based diet, it is still has too much sugar and sometimes fat. The 98% i am happy with. 2x-3x a year i might chow down on broiled scallops.. no butter...
Not eating beef and chicken is easy for me. Sometimes cheese looks good, but i do pass it up.
The trouble for me comes when i say plain chips, candy, home-made muffins, cookies are vegan; so i can eat them. Also snacking those at night doesn't help.
I haven't gained weight, but I haven't lost either. Anyhow. I need to exercise more and eat better. I can't wait to see how everyone does and say hi to all i have come to know.. and those new ones here too!

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hi Everyone. I first kickstarted and became vegan over three years ago. However, recently I've been eating far too many nuts and dates and have not been exercising. I have gained a little weight back, but I'm still 120 pounds less than before I became vegan and feel better. I'm looking forward to renewing my commitment to this healthy lifestyle and thank PCRM for their support.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Hi Everyone. I first kickstarted and became vegan over three years ago. However, recently I've been eating far too many nuts and dates and have not been exercising. I have gained a little weight back, but I'm still 120 pounds less than before I became vegan and feel better. I'm looking forward to renewing my commitment to this healthy lifestyle and thank PCRM for their support.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I'm glad to be here on the January 2012 Kickstart. I "dipped my toe in" a couple of kickstarts ago, but never fully committed to it.

I've always cooked vegan, but I don't always eat vegan - if I'm out at a restaurant that has no vegan options, I'm cool with ordering something with cheese on or in it. IF I'm at someone's house and they're serving meat, I'm cool with eating it for the sake of social harmony. And finally, if I'm at home and my husband has made something sauteed in butter or if he's made some chicken breasts, I'll eat them if I'm too tired/lazy to make another meal for myself.

The problem with all these "exceptions" is that I've never given 100% vegan a try for more than a few days. I;m looking forward to living the full deal for the next 21 days.

peace

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Glad to be back, and even if I don't participate as much as I should, do enjoy getting the wonderful recipes and hearing all the positive comments and affirmations. Have been vegan for 15 or so years now (wish I had remembered the date because I'm often asked) but like so many others I've been eating a lot of nuts and dried fruits as well as vegan cookies and treats over Christmas.

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Welcome back everyone, and a special welcome to first timers.

I have participated in every kickstart since I first tried in April of 2011, including the fabulous India Kickstart. I find that the mix of return and new participants makes for a very rich experience.

I was an overweight vegetarian for a few decades, but didn't have any other health concerns, perhaps because I lived in places where refined and processed foods were not available. My body was younger too. Upon returning to Canada in 2005 I started to have serious digestive problems. I went crazy with the vegetarian foods at the supermarket!

I didn't take my doctor's advise to put myself on the list for gall bladder surgery, but I did start with the zantac while I started to tinker with dietary changes, trying to see what the actual problem was. Of course everyone had their opinion... it was my gall bladder, or the gluten or whatever that particular friend believed. I had some interesting results, but it just wasn't working on the whole until I realized that it was a symphony of things... the processed food, the over yeasted breads, the over-saturated-with-fat vegetarian options, and dairy. I had heard of PCRM from a friend at the local vegetarian association, and was immediately interested.

As a film maker, my first approach was to convince a new friend who was not vegetarian, but was searching for a solution to many chronic health problems she had, to try the kickstart and let me make a documentary about it. Finally she said "I'll take the dare if you will!" and the rest is history! Why it took me so long to go vegan is still a mystery, but it does give me a healthy dose of patience with others, if nothing else.

So here I am again. I have been behaving, with the exception of kefir fermented raw milk as an ingredient in my daily smoothies. The cow is dry for the winter, so I am going to try to make kefir with almond milk. If anyone has kefir experience, I would sure appreciate help.

Meanwhile the documentary is in the studio now. It was a great production experience. The project is not funded, so it is slower than I had hoped, but since I am a one-person post production facility, I know it will get done. My current completion estimate is this spring. Stay in touch with that project on facebook if you are interested. The trailer is on the welcome page here: www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan.

I am glad to be back. For me, and for many others, it is the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart/Reboot! By the way, my digestive problems has disappeared Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

kiwi wrote:

Hi Susan, Lani and everyone,

Im back as I havent been so good with my diet in the latter part of 2011. Always vegetarian but not always low-fat vegan and the weight has started to creep on again. Obviously I dont feel I am at my best. Í am looking forward to a fresh start for 2012 as I am studying this year as well as working. I know I need easy to prepare, healthy, energy giving foods to nourish myself and see me through.

Regards,
Christine

Kiwi,

You know, it is so dang easy for that fat to creep its way back in. It happened for me in October and I gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks! I caught it though and got right on track again, and dropped those 2 lbs just as quickly. I put up an article on the plant-strong fitness blog about it if you'd like to take a look at my true confessions!

How I gained 2 lbs. in 2 weeks & lost 2 lbs. just as easily

You are SO right on with the 'prepared' part. Absofluppinlootely!

So glad you're here for the games again this January!

Lani
Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

deborahjm wrote:

This is the 2nd Kickstart for me. As some of the others have stated, I didn't finish 2011 on the best note nutritionally. I'm thinking of handing the rest of the holiday candy to the next solicitor who knocks on my door!

Deborahjm, so, did you get rid of it? I'm counting on you! Laughing

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 343 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org