21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: My Big Announcement
Created on: 08/01/14 04:33 PM Views: 921 Replies: 21
My Big Announcement
Posted Friday, August 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Dear All

This Kickstart I'll be doing an experiment to see if it's possible to put on weight eating a Whole-Food Plant-Based Diet. To that end, I'll be eating all I want of any plant-based whole-food or combination of same from the 4 food groups:

Arrow Fruits
Arrow Vegetables
Arrow Grains
Arrow Legumes

FYI, I'll be classing tree-nuts and their respective nut butters as fruits and peanuts as a legume. I will allow myself all forms of traditional processing. For instance, bread.

And to put this thing to the maximum test possible I will be eating well past the point of fullness at every meal.

I'll keep you posted.

Theodore

Wash your back

RE: My Big Announcement
Posted Friday, August 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I'll be anxiously awaiting your posts.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Why?

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Somebody has already done that.

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-got-a-bit-fat/

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Somebody has already done that.

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-got-a-bit-fat/

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Why would you make a conscious decision to over eat? The point of the 21 day Kickstart is to work toward a healthier life style, so what is your point?

Why would you make a conscious decision to over eat? The point of the 21 day Kickstart is to work toward a healthier life style, so what is your point?

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Question

Posted Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I hope to provide a food diary and update every few days or so. The underlying principles of my experimental diet are actually no different from what I normally do most of the time. The main difference is that I’m really pushing myself to eat as much as I possibly can every day for the next 21 days. I’ve even bought some new spices (turmeric and chilli powder etc) in order to try and stimulate overconsumption. I also plan on doing even less physical activity than I normally do. I actually do very little activity anyway (mainly running from the tube station to my office if I’m late, cursing and, of course, dancing), but as I say, I’m going to try and do even less. I guess I’ll probably continue the same amount of dancing as before, because I think it would be inhumane to deprive my friends and family of the joy that comes with seeing my dance moves. But definitely less running and cursing.

A lot of you have asked why I’m doing this, although I see that most of those posts are duplicates, so actually only two people are asking why. And in fact, SLT’s question may well have been directed at Vicki, so actually only one person is asking me why. But I’ll answer anyway. It’s because my experience so far tells me that as long as I stick very strictly to whole (plant-based) foods it is impossible for me to put on weight. That’s why I'm now pushing myself to overeat and under-exercise to see if it’s possible to put on weight in those circumstances. Of course one of the main factors fuelling my curiosity is the various people who’ve posted on this forum (and other WFPB forums) from time to time saying that they gained weight on this kind of diet. I have five theories as to why this might be. Namely:

1)   Women put on weight more easily than men. Or find it harder to lose.
2)   They’re eating past the point of fullness.
3)   Certain non-whole-foods or industrially processed whole-foods are causing the problem. For example, sugar and syrups, tofu, soymilk, fruit juice, fruit juice concentrates, fake meats etc. None of which are included in my experimental diet.
4)   They were lying.
5)   They were underweight to start with.

I’m hoping that my experiment will shed some light on at least one of these theories.

Sakura, I checked out that link and it does seem like a similar experiment, but I’ve seen that guy before and I think he’s shady. Check the links at the end of the article, almost every one of them is linking to people who push bacon eggs and butter as the ideal human diet. The article doesn’t say what he ate so I can’t give specific criticisms, but I know for a fact that he’s misrepresenting the cholesterol particle size theory, so that would make me skeptical of everything else he says, including his results. That said, I think there’s probably a grain of truth to the carb/insulin theory. But I think the theory only really applies to highly processed carbs like sugar. Also, if you watch this short video of Dr Shintani (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k2NX2ArJ8) he explains that industrially-ground flour is so finely ground that it can end up having the same effect as sugar. I think the same thing can apply to extruded flour products as well. Unfortunately even most wholegrain bread and pastas are using that kind of flour so I think it would be possible for a wholefood high-carb diet to raise insulin and triglycerides if those kinds of foods formed a large part of the diet. As I’ve said in other threads, I think the trick is to stick to stone-ground or sprouted grain flour products, and that’s the kind of bread I always choose. I also eat a little bit higher fat than most folks here, so I think I'm covered either way.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Its a great idea to experiment. Good luck.
Does this mean you will be eating more than 1 to 2 tablespoons of nuts/day? Will you be eating a lot of nuts per day?

Posted Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Dear All

I've just looked into that guy's 5000 calorie vegan experiment a bit deeper. There's a page on his website that shows a sample menu of what he ate which I didn't see before.

The truth is his bloodwork was actually extremely good at the end of the diet, despite the fact that he was vastly overeating.

Arrow I would've expected his triglycerides to go through the roof when eating double his caloric requirements. But they were still within the optimal range even after 21 days. And contrary to his wacked out musings, once that initial spike is out the way, they would only get lower from then on.

Arrow His LDL dropped from high into the optimal range.

Arrow He tried to make a big thing about how his HDL dropped too low. Poor sap is unaware that when he's consuming a WFPB diet and his LDL and triglycerides are in the optimal range, his HDL is irrelevant.

Dr Esselstyn wrote:

It is not uncommon for HDL to fall when consuming plant based nutrition. Do not be alarmed. The capacity of HDL to do its job has been shown recently by scientific research that there is no relationship between the capacity of the HDL molecule to function optimally and its blood level. Recent research has confirmed that the HDL molecule can be injured and weakened when one is ingesting a pro inflammatory western diet and conversely it appears despite a lower than normal level to be optimized by anti inflammatory plant based-nutrition.

Apparently he also did a 5000 calorie low-carb high fat experiment and ended up weighing much less than with the vegan experiment. At first I was surprised by this because I assumed he would've been knocking back the butter and lard, but turns out his LCHF diet was three quarters plant-based with 50% of total calories coming from intact whole nuts. Intact whole nuts are well known not to be fully digested and mostly pass straight through you, so that's a major slight of hand on his part. Mystery solved.

As for my own experiment, I'll post an update tomorrow.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM

veganer wrote:

Its a great idea to experiment. Good luck.
Does this mean you will be eating more than 1 to 2 tablespoons of nuts/day? Will you be eating a lot of nuts per day?

Thanks Veganer. I'll be eating about 3 times greater calories than what most women eat in general, so I'll be eating around three times the dose of nuts. Probably 6 or 7 ounces. And mostly in the form of nut butter for maximum absorption as opposed to intact whole nuts. The way I see it, if I can pull this off whilst including the calorie dense wholefoods, it will really help me eliminate some of the theories I have as to if or why some people put on weight with this diet.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Excess calories will be stored as body fat.

Are you denying that or are you saying it is impossible to overeat on plants?

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Sakura wrote:

Excess calories will be stored as body fat.

Are you denying that or are you saying it is impossible to overeat on plants?

Bit of both, baby.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Dear All

I've had to end my experiment early but I've got splendid news. The strict (yet ad libitum) wholefoods plant-based diet (no oil, sugar, syrups, tofu or soymilk etc), did not produce weight gain.

But one caveat: the first 5 days of overfeeding did cause enlargement of my mid-section. However, this overfeeding involved eating until uncomfortably stuffed. It took considerable time and effort and most importantly caused great discomfort to the point that I was physically unable to continue with it. Once I stopped the overfeeding and ate only according to fullness (although actually still a little bit past fullness as I always do), my midsection went back down to its normal size in a couple of days.

Which leads me to believe that the initial enlargement was simply due to all that food being stuck in my intestines. But even if it was weight gain, the fact is it went away by simply returning to eating to fullness (and even a little past fullness, just not stuffing myself to the point of discomfort).

In conclusion, I think this proves at least that male humans can eat ad libitum on a strict wholefoods plantbased diet and normalise their weight and most likely their health (although I didn't monitor the latter). I believe the success of such a diet is due partly to the fact that all the foods I consumed contained fibre and all their original fibre, but also partly due to more mysterious properties of whole plantbased foods.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, August 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I should learn to read before I post! LOL Very Happy Was asking how your experiment was going.

D'oh!

Edited 08/11/14 2:32 PM
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Sapphire wrote:

I should learn to read before I post! LOL Very Happy Was asking how your experiment was going.

D'oh!

Oh no problem. Actually I wanted to clarify something I said earlier. Because I think I might have given the impression that I stopped stuffing myself after the first 5 days. I'm still stuffing myself, just not to the point of discomfort.

Basically, that point where your body's had enough and you start eating slower and slower. That's the point I've always eaten to in the past and that's what I went back to doing after the first 5 days of the experiment. But for the first 5 days I was pushing myself beyond that point to the extent of being physically uncomfortable. It caused some enlargement of my midsection but I simply couldn't continue with that level of discomfort. So by purely natural order I returned to normal levels of stuffing myself and my midsection automatically went back down to normal size. I did not have to consciously restrict my intake. I simply returned to stuffing myself at a level that didn't cause me discomfort.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I was not underweight before starting this experiment. I have been underweight in the past due to a raw food diet and I know that a cooked WFPB diet can bring my weight up from underweight to normal weight, so it can cause weight gain in that sense. But it can't take me from normal weight to overweight. It is (for me at least) a correctative diet in the true sense of the word.

Wash your back

Edited 08/12/14 4:09 AM
Posted Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 1:30 AM

oh dear, this is too late as you've completed the grand experiment already. but first, when I read the title of this post I thought the big news was, you were getting engaged or married or re-married, or moving to Antartica to play with penguins or something lol. (sorry I don't want to assume. perhaps you're already engage/married/playing with those penguins.)

anyway, I am curious to know, did you avoid wheat / gluten for this experiment? i am not sure how true it is but i hear, wheat can cause a lot of issues for people if it's GMO, but i do think this is more severe for people with actual gluten intolerance. do you take grains like oats, rice, porridge?

you should post videos of your dancing. have you got the moves like mick jagger? Wink

Posted Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Kittens

Let's be quite clear about this, not only did I eat gluten, I ate it at every meal and at almost every course of every meal. Mostly in the form of bread but a little bit of bulgar wheat too. The fact is it's so delicious and versatile that you can use it in a starter or a main course or even a desert. You can cook it first, you can cook it last, you can cook it slow, you can cook it fast, you can cook it in the north, or you can cook it in the south, just as long as it ends up in my mouth.

Of course, some people have to avoid it because of coeliac disease, like dear Oceandog. I suspect it's more caused by anti-biotics rather than GMO's. I don't think GM wheat is even commercially available yet.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 439 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org