21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Back again and trying for February!
Created on: 02/01/13 03:07 AM Views: 1772 Replies: 10
Back again and trying for February!
Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Hi all!

I am so happy and feel so lucky to find this amazing community. I struggled a lot with my compulsive eating and cravings got the better of me in January Crying or Very sad But no matter, it's february and a new month =)

Thank you all for your support and wonderful feedback. I am my own worst enemy and I beat myself up all the time for not being yet, that 'perfect' vegan...but all of you inspire me not to quit, so thank you!!

RE: Back again and trying for February!
Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 5:27 AM

I just want to say, that my cravings get the better of me, too, but over the last year I think my regular eating habits have changed. (I can tell by looking at our shopping list that the amount of animal products and processed food has gone way down.)
So keep the goal in sight and focus on all the good changes you did make in the last month!

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Hey,we all struggle,that's why this is such a great place, very supportive and non-judgemental. This is at least my fifth kickstart and I have not been 100 percent yet. But each time I learn a little more about healthy eating and get better at it.

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I've got a problem with the Feb. kickstart, no matter what the menu is. Last night I was in a car accident so I'm stranded without transportation. That means no way to get to the grocery store. Luckily other than my left hand, I'm unharmed physically. I had the green light but another car came through the intersection on the red and we hit. I've put on some dried black beans to soak (using the quick soak method from one of the DVD's with Chef Toni Fiore). I have things like that I can fix for today until tomorrow when I have a way to the store to get fresh fruit & veggies.

Jennifer

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

hi jennifer,
do you have any frozen veggies? they will do! black beans, brown rice and frozen veggies.

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Thanks, you guys are awesome Very Happy

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Keep trying every month and you'll get better and better at it every time! The only way to not succeed is to give up or not try at all. Hang in there!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Thanks Amanda, for believing in me! I don't want to give up, it's hard but sometimes what does keep me going is, at least I'm more 'vegan' now, than I ever was in my life! For example, no meat at all - no egg items, baked goods that contain eggs, um...no cheese! Just a few days and the cheese cravings / addictions were gone, I can't really bear the sight of a pizza now - unless it were vegan, of course. =)

That being said...it's hard not to beat myself up when I DO slip up. Mainly with the dairy, like milk or milk products in coffee / tea. It can be challenging.

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

lovekittens wrote:

That being said...it's hard not to beat myself up when I DO slip up. Mainly with the dairy, like milk or milk products in coffee / tea. It can be challenging.

It's often not so much a choice or preference as it is muscle memory/habit. You pour the coffee, reach for the sugar, reach for the milk, etc. Try moving the milk - a different shelf in the fridge for example - which would mean you have to stop and think about it for a second "where's the milk?" which then leads to "Oh, wait, not going to have milk" and off you go. If you still want something milk-ish, put the plant milk where the regular milk used to be and put the regular milk off someplace (lower left toward the back maybe).

--DebR

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

OR leave the animal milk at the store! Although I do have 3 kinds of milk in my refrigerator: soy, almond, and cow's. The cows milk is for my daughter who refuses to go vegan.

Jennifer

Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM

dodink58 wrote:

OR leave the animal milk at the store! Although I do have 3 kinds of milk in my refrigerator: soy, almond, and cow's. The cows milk is for my daughter who refuses to go vegan.

Jennifer

Yeah, if it's just one person (or several people who are all willing to forego the animal milk), then just leave it at the store. BUT there may be others in the household who are not interested in leaving dairy milk (and other animal products) behind. Right now, our household is our vegetarian/vegan selves (me, hubby, son - all 3 on the veg spectrum); sister in law who is totally NOT on the veg spectrum (she buys and prepares her own food but that does mean our fridge has dairy, eggs, frozen meats, etc); and a family friend (adult) who mainly eats what we do but will sometimes purchase and prepare other things (or bring restaurant leftovers home). So, our fridge and pantry have a whole range of food items.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 267 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org