21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Created on: 01/13/13 02:53 PM Views: 27277 Replies: 103
RE: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Regarding Ronjenk's question about tasty veg-based meats: Have you tried the Field Roast Brand? Their sausages in three flavors (apple-sage, Mexican and Italian) are excellent, and I like everything they make. The products are wheat-based, so not good for gluten-free diets, and they are not low-fat, but they are high protein and very delicious. I also like the Turtle Island Foods tempeh products, which are soy based, and the "smokey maple bacon" flavor is useful in recipes calling for animal bacon. Trader Joe's vegan chorizo works well when you want to add a smokey, spicy, meaty taste in chili, baked beans, marinara sauce, etc. Some of the frozen seitan products are good--try the Garden Burger Meatless Riblets. The Gardein brand of veg-based meats is good too--developed by a group of chefs including Tal Ronnen, who designed Oprah Winfrey's famous "vegan cleanse." I have also thoroughly enjoyed seitan made and served at some of the wonderful vegan restaurants here and there across the country, but I still haven't found a good commercial brand. Someday I'll try to make my own. Seitan, of course, is wheat based.

Posted Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Not much to report today...Yesterday had my meal out at a Chineese resturant and had some nice vegatable spring rolls and a cabbage with rice noodles dish...I think chineese wil be a fav spot for the types of foods im looking for.

took my first trip to the large farmers market we have here in Hamilton and came home loaded (almost too heavy for the 1.5 k walk homne) with fresh veggies, fruite and a nice fresh rye bread. So all sotcked up for the week.

This morning I made a very large batch of vegettable soup/stew some of which I will freeze. Used up allthe older veggies I had on hand.

Also finally gave away the cheese (I so derly love) to a non vegan freind. I hope the nutirtional yeast gets here soon!

Oh and ordered a veggie/rice steamer, so by now I have so much money tied up in being vegan I can no longer afford to go back to my old ways!

Many thanks and have a great Sunday Wink

Edited 01/27/13 12:04 PM
Posted Monday, January 28, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Good for you Ronjenk.

Sounds like a nice trip to the farmers market to stock up for the week and congratulations on finally getting rid of the cheese. For me that was the hardest. Even walking past it in the supermarket today had me thinking about how I used to love it ... but I didnt buy any Very Happy

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/28/13 3:40 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I have been surprised at how many are watching my blog! I thought I would take the next couple days about talking about menu as it applies to me a single person (no one else lives here).

I have had friends often say to me that they would find the transition to what I am sticking to now too hard to do but not really for me.

In my old self my menus were simple and pretty much the same for the past 40 years (i know it happens when you don’t have a life!) But I tend to believe that most people fall into a menu roteen choosing things they like or that fits with their schedule/personality. I know for me my shopping cart always ended up looking the same every week. So it is working out with my new vegan/diabetic menu. I have pretty much fallen into a vegan routine already but working on simple evening meals that I like.

Breakfast for the old self was often dry cereal (non sugared) with fruit and soy milk with whole wheat toast with peanut butter and jelly (always have used the 100% fruit no sugar) with a glass of juice and 1 cup of coffee (soy milk never sugar or sweetener).

The only change I really have made to my "new self" breakfast menu is changing to more oatmeal (no milk but toped with unsweetened applesauce and blueberries or raspberries) or a high fiber dry cereal and the other change was from whole wheat to a rye bread and no peanut butter but 100% fruit jam (I do miss the peanut butter!) I still have the one coffee and glass of juice.

So you can see the transition wasn’t that great at all. I never did eat many eggs or have bacon or sausage much and really don’t miss them.

So this now my new traditional breakfast, fast, east, tastes great and I’m full! Wink

Tomorrow I will compare my old lunch to my new style lunch.

One last thing about menu. There are a lot of great vegan menus out there but when shopping for one I find that I’m not interested in trying them due to the fact that id either have to eat the same thing many times (because the stuff would spoil) or I’m stuck with items that I would only use occasionally.

I know cooking for one is so much different then cooking for more and I certainly can sympathise with those who have to cook two menus for their families. You are my heroes! I know this new menu wouldn’t last for me if I had the non vegan items around!

Have a great day Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Only 4 days left to complete my 21 day program! Feeling great, wieght and blood levels are on target )lost 7 lbs so far and blood sugar is almost at normal mark).

I enjoy hearing back from you as it gives me the support I need to keep going (no one else around to motivate me).

Please let me know if this blog helps and if I should continue it.

Many thanks and I am cheering for you to stick to it and get healthy! Very Happy

Almost forgot to mention...recived my new steamer yesterday and alrady had a meal of steamed rice and vegies...I can see it will be very usuful.

Edited 01/30/13 9:27 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM

ronjenk wrote:

Only 4 days left to complete my 21 day program! Feeling great, wieght and blood levels are on target )lost 7 lbs so far and blood sugar is almost at normal mark).

I enjoy hearing back from you as it gives me the support I need to keep going (no one else around to motivate me).

Please let me know if this blog helps and if I should continue it.

Many thanks and I am cheering for you to stick to it and get healthy! Very Happy

Almost forgot to mention...recived my new steamer yesterday and alrady had a meal of steamed rice and vegies...I can see it will be very usuful.

I love hearing how your doing ronjenk! Keep it up!

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM

missed bloging yesterday but thought I would catch up a bit. Into day 20 with a great motivational start to the day..I have lost 9 lbs (down to 217 now, may have to buy a new swim suit!) and my blood level was perfect (even after that cookie last night).

Besides your feedback this is what keep me going...results! I dont expect a homerun everyday but just every few days it sure feels like I am on the right track with when good results come in.

I have one big problem to overcome this next week and that is feelings of hunger around 4 (even if i snaked at 2) and i end up eating a large evening meal (safe stuff) eating a bit beyond being full and then the constant snacking (half a bag of rice cakes plus..last night alone). What to do with the hunger feeling?

For you new ones or those coming back to restart...good for you, I am pulling for you.

Have a gret day! Wink

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

ment to mention that yesterday I bought my first dry chick peas and some dry beans as well...the sodium amounts on caned beans are begining to scare me! Oh my god I'm turning into a vegan! Very Happy

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Maybe shift your snack to around 3 (partway between the 2 pm snack and the 4 pm hungry)? Or, plan an extra snack for around 4 - do something light at 2 and again at 4. For instance, instead of 1/4 cup of hummus with a dozen crackers; have half that at 2 and the other half at 4. Or, have a little less at 2 and have a piece of fruit at 4 (or vice versa). The point is, don't just ignore the hungry - address it in some way, plan for it if it's happening routinely.

--DebR

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

ronjenk wrote:

ment to mention that yesterday I bought my first dry chick peas and some dry beans as well...the sodium amounts on caned beans are begining to scare me! Oh my god I'm turning into a vegan! Very Happy

I still use canned beans at times for convenience (time saving) but I never tip the can up into a recipe and use the water/fluid they come in. I always drain the beans and rinse well which helps to get rid of some of the sodium. The fluid from the can goes down the drain.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

ronjenk wrote:

I know cooking for one is so much different then cooking for more and I certainly can sympathise with those who have to cook two menus for their families. You are my heroes! I know this new menu wouldn’t last for me if I had the non vegan items around!

Have a great day Very Happy

I'm still cooking two menus even though my husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago. I have emailed him information about vegan benefits for diabetics but he says he isn't ready "yet." He has done pretty well with giving up most things he shouldn't be eating, so there isn't as much junk food around here to tempt us. He's having a hard time with too many starches. I have convinced him to switch to brown rice, which makes it easier - 1 rice cooker now.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi all. Last night went out with a group to a sort of upscale resturant and was very disapointed at thier lack of anything much on the menu I could sample. I ended up taking a lettice cranberry salad (that had goat cheese and nuts in it) and a vegetarian pizza (that had white flour crust and way too much cheese). They only offered one pasta dish tht had a seafood cream sauce. They were so late taking and bringing the order that, due to my diabietes, I started feeling dizzy and a bit disorentated, go them to bring me some bread and have learned a lesson. I was expeting a high blood reading this morning and maybe a slight weight gain but things seem to be about the same as yesterday (slight evelvation but stable).

My body has acted differently adjusting to the new intake of food these last 3 weeks and I am having a bit of a time getting adjusted to the signs, syptoms and adjustments to make to my schedual. I will start carring a fuit with me and will eat snacks more often through the day untii things ison out.

I'm not stoping just adjusting. Starting day 22 and in it for a life time! Wink Wink

Thanks for the support and have a great day!

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Great determination, ronjenk! Some places don't have any good choices. I'm going to a Mexican restaurant on Sunday and looked at the menu online. Looks like spinach enchiladas are my best option but I'm sure they have cheese in them.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

deborahjm wrote:

Great determination, ronjenk! Some places don't have any good choices. I'm going to a Mexican restaurant on Sunday and looked at the menu online. Looks like spinach enchiladas are my best option but I'm sure they have cheese in them.

I actually think all Mexican restaurants are the easiest. Ignore the meals they say they have on the menu and focus on the ingredients they have. Ask for some tortillas, beans, water sauted veggies, salsa, and quacamole. Or you could just ask if they could make a vegan burrito/taco/enchilada. I've never had any problems at any Mexican restaurant, they can easily accommodate this way of eating.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I need to become more assertive in restaurants. I tend to look for the closest item on the menu to what I should be eating and then take some things off. I do ask for cheese to be taken out. I don't mind asking when I'm with family but when no one else is vegan in the group I tend to try to work around it. The Mexican restaurants around here usually have borracho beans as an alterative to refried beans.

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM

hi all,

Was away for the weekend working. I do this about 30 weekends a year and usual stay at clients houses one night. I was worried about asking for something to fit my menu but after mentiong I was diabetic my host made some pasta with light tomato sauce and fried onions (with a bit of bacon) with a side salad. Only reg milk at breafast. I know I am going to have to comprimise a bit when I go on these work trips but think it will be ok. I stoped on my way home at a chineese resturnt and they had a dinner for one that included fried rice, mixed (fresh) veggies and a vegeatable spring roll.

I am not a big fan of mexican, or india food (or anything spicy)but I do see that chineese resturants usually offer something within my menu.

I bought a boost suplliment (for diabetics) to have between meals while away at work and that seemend to work fine.

A bit of excersie when I got hom and found I hadent added any weight or changed my good blood level this morning so was happy about that!

I have also changed my med times a bit and that really works out better. Instead of two metforman in the morning I take one in the morning and one at night. This seems to be easier on the system and so far cant see any problems with blood readings. Looking for a meter that is advertised that requires less blood for readings (will be welcomed after using the one I have which is a standard needle but still stings).

Have a great week everyone! Wink

Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hi all,

soon will be finishing my 4th week and am getting into a fairly solid routine where the newnest of transition is weareing off and the new "way of life" is becoming more the norm. I still have to be vigilant that the old self dosent sneak back in especially this week after learning the death of a friend and the closing of part of the buisness I work for (effects many freinds).

From my past patterns, I am eakest at times like these and often I would say to heck with it and run for the junk food (why they heck do they call it comfort food). This misdirection usually came as a responce to the fact I had no one to vent with but that has changed a bit but still ask for your support.

All readings are still on track. I will be eating in resturants for a couple weeks while I travel for work begining mid week next week and will keep a blog going to let you know how things are going.

Please keep it up the benifits are great and the bonus is you get to relize what it feels like to be a rabbit! JK..... I firmly believe in this regime and also believe it is possible to make the change!

Im here for the long run Wink

Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

So sorry about the loss of your friend and the stresses with work changes, but yay for you for sticking with your plan in the midst of all that! It's a lie that "comfort food" results in true comfort -it's actually healthy foods that keep your immune system functioning well to deal with life's challenges.

Some travel thoughts - can you ask for a fridge and microwave in hotel rooms? If so you can find a grocery store and get salads, fruit, healthy soups, etc. When driving I even take along a cooler with frozen meals to reheat and hummus,etc., and a blender to make smoothies. If flying, those options don't work, of course.

One caution - check the label on the Boost for Diabetes - the regular ones contain dairy so those might as well.

Take care and please keep posting - it's inspiring to read about your progress toward great health!

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ronjek, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Do you drink enough water? A vegan diet should be really high in fiber naturally, which can cause constipation if you're dehydrated.

Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi there,

I have a challange this weekend! I am going to a popluck for 15 people and have been asked to make a rice dish. As I have stated many times before I am not a cook but really think I can handle this with your help.

What is a simple brown rice recipie that will wow them but is so easy to make my cat could do it!

Down almost another pound! Yes I am trying to drink more water and that seems to help.

I have noticed less face blemishes but my skin seems to be drier. Any thoughts?

We are having a blizzard today so its a good day to ventrue into cooking things.

Many thanks and keep supporting one another. Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 426 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org