21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Earth Balance or Margarine Substitutes
Created on: 12/09/12 11:12 AM Views: 2465 Replies: 7
Earth Balance or Margarine Substitutes
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I usually put Earth Balance margarine in my oatmeal. I really like the feel of the "butter" as well as the taste. I want to cut down on how much margarine I consume. Can you recommend any substitutes?

RE: Earth Balance or Margarine Substitutes
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I add a touch of almond milk before serving to give it a creamy texture. A sliced banana helps too!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Great idea! I'll try it.

Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

i eat oatmeal every am.. it's a blank canvas..
I always add a milk alternative to it.. be it soy, almond or vanilla almond. (most times unsweetened organic soy)

most mornings is a sliced banana

sometimes it is chopped walnuts and banana.

sometimes it is choped walnuts and a tablespoon of maple syrup..

sometimes it is frozen blueberries..and maybe banana.

At a friends house their favorite was with no milk alternative.. instead organic applesauce and/or rasins. It was different but good.

Seriously, no need to get bored with oatmeal!
Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

My favorite is mashed ripe banana, pumpkin pie spice, and a sprinkle of nuts

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

hubby usually uses nut butter (just-peanuts PB, no salt, sugar or other added stuff; or cashew butter or almond butter if we're out of PB) on his oatmeal along with a sprinkle of raisins and dark chocolate bits (no added fats or dairy, a wee bit of sugar but we usually get the dark, almost bittersweet kind so less sugar than the milk chocolatey kind - when we can afford it, we get the dairy free fruit juice sweetened kind to avoid the processed white sugar).

I like my oatmeal with a teaspoon of Earth balance, a splash of almond milk, a wee drizzle of local dark amber maple syrup or local honey and a dash of cinnamon. Maybe a sprinkle of raisins but usually not. I think I like the Earth Balance/margarine not for the creaminess but for the saltiness of it that contrasts with the creamy/sweet of the rest. I suppose, in that case, almond milk and a little teensy pinch of sea salt would do. hmm maybe I'll try that next time...

--DebR

Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I find it I combine non-dairy milk with the oats and let is soak overnight in the fridge, it becomes super creamy when I cook it. Just a dash of cinnamon, YUM!

Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I tried a splash of almond milk and really enjoyed it. A lot of good ideas and I'll probably try them all. Thanks,

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 421 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org