21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: how to keep off tummy fat for vegans!
Created on: 03/24/13 04:34 AM Views: 636 Replies: 2
how to keep off tummy fat for vegans!
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I notice that most of my friends who are lucky NOT to store weight in their stomachs, and have relatively flat tummy, they usually eat a lot of meat and protein that is of fish, red meat, chicken, etc.

What alternatives do we have as vegans to try and attain the same? I mean - to keep weight from coming immediately to our stomachs, is this more because of salt and sugar? if we reduce that and substituted tofu, soy, lentils, nuts for the meat that most omnivores eat - could we see similar results with our stomachs? Just wondering =) I don't mind weight going all over the rest of my body haha, but I do like to have a lean stomach! Very Happy

RE: how to keep off tummy fat for vegans!
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I don't know the answer to that one. I'm within my normal BMI, but still have a stomach. It's slowly disappearing with weight though - possibly it's the last area to disappear. Your stress levels (past or present) could affect this also. I've usually worked in fairly stressful jobs.

RE: how to keep off tummy fat for vegans!
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM

There is no evidence to support that food types contribute more or less to abdominal fat. It's excess calories in general that lead to abdominal fat. Other issues such as genetics, age, and exercise, also play roles in where fat is stored. Best advice that you can control is to eat a lot of fiber, don't over consume calories (stay low-fat and eat whole foods), and find an exercise plan that helps you burn and metabolize more.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 64 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org