21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for support
Created on: 09/03/12 09:45 AM Views: 18956 Replies: 95
RE: Looking for support
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hi Everyone!
Hope you all had a great day. Why is the first day always easier than the second? Yesterday was a piece of cake - no pun intended... I've just seemed hungry today - I was sure to add blck beans and brn rice to my mixed green veggie salad hoping it would help the 4pm hunger pains. It's only 5:40 pm and I want dinner. Yes had a snack fat free hommos and carrots. I gather from reading the books you don't need to go hungry that you shouldn't really be hungry if you are eating the right foods. I just always feel like I'm eating too much and it's slowing the weightloss down.
I'll get over it hopefully and tomorrow will be easier.
Love, love the saying regarding 4pm would be PMS if a day was a month. I may have just screwed that up - but I was laughing.
Take care.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

vegpedlr, you said

Quote:

It's made with silken tofu and tahini, so it is a bit rich, but there is no oil or weird processed ingredients.

I guess you mean besides the oil in tahini, there is no added fat.

I recently tried Daiya brand vegan cheese and it is much better than some others I tried, so if you can find it you may want to give a try.

Good Luck!

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I'd like to join this group. I started a day late. I must have about 60 pounds to loose. I wrote in the other forum that I tried to follow the plan for a month earlier after reading the book 21 day Kickstart. I was disappointed that I didn't loose too much. I have been told that perhaps I still had too much hidden fat in commercial products I used in a hurry. Cut out more fat in my tofu etc.

I almost gave up at supper. Tired from a long day at work with lots of stresses. In the end I stir fried vegies with tofu and rice. I could do it in a hurry. I want to use more of the recipes but haven't bought all the ingredients.

I need the support to stay on track. Thanks for letting my join.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Sorry about your trip to the dentist. That's just never a good way to start the day. Sad

I had a few moments of cravings this morning. I didn't feel great - probably chocolate withdrawal. I did an ab workout before work and then felt horrible. I know I just need to get my body through this transition and then I will feel so much better. The first two days were easy - today, not so much.

How is everyone else doing? I hope we can all stay on track together! Kay

P.S. I'm looking forward to trying that cheese substitute! Unfortunately,I have a weakness for sweets and cheese! UGH!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Welcome aboard, Determined! I love the name and am glad you are joining us on this journey! I hope you have a great 2nd day! Kay

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

pemaquid wrote:

Hi Everyone!
Hope you all had a great day. Why is the first day always easier than the second? Yesterday was a piece of cake - no pun intended... I've just seemed hungry today - I was sure to add blck beans and brn rice to my mixed green veggie salad hoping it would help the 4pm hunger pains. It's only 5:40 pm and I want dinner. Yes had a snack fat free hommos and carrots. I gather from reading the books you don't need to go hungry that you shouldn't really be hungry if you are eating the right foods. I just always feel like I'm eating too much and it's slowing the weightloss down.
I'll get over it hopefully and tomorrow will be easier.
Love, love the saying regarding 4pm would be PMS if a day was a month. I may have just screwed that up - but I was laughing.
Take care.

Why can you not eat dinner at 5:40 pm? Do you have to wait until the rest of the family is home or something?
My day is usually breakfast around 7 am, snack around 9:30-10 am, lunch around noon, snack somewhere around 3 pm, dinner around 5:30 pm and then potentially a snack around 8 pm depending on my blood glucose reading at that point. The idea that "3 square meals" is ideal is not so much ideal. If you need to eat more to avoid getting really hungry, do it.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

pemaquid wrote:

Why is the first day always easier than the second? ...I'll get over it hopefully and tomorrow will be easier.

The third day seems to be hardest for me. Years ago when I did Atkins, (a bit ironic) I remember feeling like CRAP from day 3 to day 6 - but then, once my body adjusted, I felt great. I think we just need to push through this transition - and then 'feeling good' will make it easier to stick with it.

If I feel really hungry, I find that oatmeal is very filling. Can you add a 1/2 cup before dinner?

Be strong! We can do this!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Day 3... so far so good, although I'm not reaching 1200 calories/day yet.

My biggest struggle: giving up yogurt and cheese, my main sources of protein!

Second biggest struggle: cooking. I usually cook one or 2 meals a week and live off of leftovers plus a couple of sandwiches or salads. So it's hard to strike a balance between variety and convenience of leftovers when I don't have a freezer other than the one above my fridge.

Cost is also an issue. My first week, even though I'm not making everything on the suggested menu, was triple the normal grocery bill! Yikes!! I think I will switch to the cheaper dried beans and lentils, which can easilybe prepared in my slowcooker, the greatest kitchen invention ever!

But this diet so far has been easy for someone who doesn't like to cook much - most meals have been quick or are easy to switch to slowcooker.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Determined wrote:

I almost gave up at supper. Tired from a long day at work with lots of stresses. In the end I stir fried vegies with tofu and rice.

Good for you! After work is killer for me. Stress at work, then stress at home - often while everyone else is kicking back. I always say being a mom with emotional eating is like being an alcoholic who tends bar. I am always in the kitchen - and unlike when I was single - there's a lot more than condiments in my fridge.

Having this plan - and this forum - is so helpful. I have lost 3 pounds already and think the weight will come off quickly if I exercise - which I did for the first time this morning - Yeah! Of course, even quickly, it will take me a year or more - so I'm trying to wrap my head around the long haul. It helps that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet.

This website is really terrific. Lots of great resources and it's free.

I will be so excited when people start asking us how we lost the weight and we can all be ambassadors for this program and lifestyle.

Stay strong everyone - We're worth it!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

sotisse wrote:

Cost is also an issue.

Shopping healthy is expensive. My grocery bill almost doubled - and I just sent two back to college. At least this website is priced right! Other online programs - that aren't as healthy or good for the planet, charge $60 or more up front. I'm so happy we are all here!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

All is going well. My husband is not following the kickstart with me, but is not complaining, either. He should jump into it with vigor because he has already had a triple arterial bypass. Hopefully, when he sees the excellent results I plan to have, he will be convinced.

So far, I have not missed animal products at all. I'm not following the menu exactly , but am customizing more to my taste.

Determined, good for you for making that stir fry! Didn't you feel great when you realized how strong you were? or how "determined"?

Yes, cost can be an issue, but there are ways to be vegan on a budget. Rice, beans, etc.

Everyone have a good rest of Day 3 and a wonderful Day 4!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Yesim wrote:

vegpedlr, you said

Quote:
It's made with silken tofu and tahini, so it is a bit rich, but there is no oil or weird processed ingredients.

I guess you mean besides the oil in tahini, there is no added fat.

I recently tried Daiya brand vegan cheese and it is much better than some others I tried, so if you can find it you may want to give a try.

Good Luck!

The tahini I use has no added oil, just roasted, ground sesame seeds. But like all nuts and seeds it is high in fat and calorically dense, so use it only as a condiment. For this recipe I think I used a generous TB for maybe 1 1/2 cups of spread. I only used a TB or two at a time. As for Daiya, the one I looked at was 66% calories from fat, which is close to the real thing, so I steer clear. More problematic for me is that it tastes good, which just reinforces my old cravings, which I'd rather lose!

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

sotisse wrote:

Day 3... so far so good, although I'm not reaching 1200 calories/day yet.

My biggest struggle: giving up yogurt and cheese, my main sources of protein!

Second biggest struggle: cooking. I usually cook one or 2 meals a week and live off of leftovers plus a couple of sandwiches or salads. So it's hard to strike a balance between variety and convenience of leftovers when I don't have a freezer other than the one above my fridge.

Cost is also an issue. My first week, even though I'm not making everything on the suggested menu, was triple the normal grocery bill! Yikes!! I think I will switch to the cheaper dried beans and lentils, which can easilybe prepared in my slowcooker, the greatest kitchen invention ever!

But this diet so far has been easy for someone who doesn't like to cook much - most meals have been quick or are easy to switch to slowcooker.

Sounds like you have some good ideas, including my favorite device, the slow cooker! I jumped on board at the last minute, and coincidentally I had already prepared a pot of chickpeas and a pot of black beans, perfect for this week's recipes. Your old stand byes of sandwiches and salads can still work. You can cook up big pots of beans, season them to your liking and add them to salads. You can take the beans and turn them into awesome spreads to make sandwiches. Once you have those in your fridge, assembly takes seconds. Good luck!

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Keep up the good work everyone. We can do this. Tonight I decided that if I am to be successful, I need to cook up some things. I made the Morrocon Stew, and a taco kind of mix with beans and tvp to use for salad or a wrap. I also have brown rice cooking up. This should make it easier for the next day or so.

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi guys!

Never2Late lured me over here from my weight-loss-topic (though feel free to comment there as well!)

I used to be a vegetarian in my rebellious teen years, but lost inspiration and got a bad craving for chicken after 4 years. Before doing the kickstart now, me and BF (whom I live with) ate quite a lot of vegetarian as a warm up to the kickstart, so I have no problem with the food or cravings at all really.

But I fear, as my BF's kid (6 years) is coming to stay with us this weekend, it will be harder! She's a very picky eater, so I suspect I will be making pizzas and tacoes for her, and just eat veggies myself (which is fine by me). But would love to eat some candy... But as far as I've understood, as long as it's vegan and low in fat, moderate amounts should be okay, right?

I'm 25 years old, I've always been a bit chunky, always slightly overweight, and I have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. I never gave birth, and I'm young and otherwise healthy. So I feel rather disgusting! I should be at the best shape of my life! But need to drop 40 pounds. But I am TOP motivated, I am SO ready for this now!!!

Yaaay! GO KICKSTART! Smile

Happy thoughts from Nora in Norway Smile

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Honningmelon wrote:

But I fear, as my BF's kid (6 years) is coming to stay with us this weekend, it will be harder! She's a very picky eater, so I suspect I will be making pizzas and tacoes for her, and just eat veggies myself (which is fine by me). But would love to eat some candy... But as far as I've understood, as long as it's vegan and low in fat, moderate amounts should be okay, right?
Happy thoughts from Nora in Norway Smile

Pizza and tacos can both be made vegan - for that matter, it's really fun for most kids to 'make your own' - put out an assortment of sliced veg (mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, olives, zucchini, eggplant, whatever else you like on pizza) as well as tomato sauce, hummus, and shredded cheese (whatever kinds she likes). You can use whole grain English muffins (that's what they're called over here, not sure about in Norway), whole grain tortillas, or whole grain pizza dough and make individual pizzas. We did individual grilled flour tortilla pizzas for son's last birthday and it was a hit with everyone, young and old, at the party. Sun dried tomato herb hummus with a pile of fresh veggies on a grilled crisp tortilla crust is just YUM!

Likewise, put out the taco shells and then a tray of cooked black beans, diced tomato, salsa, sauted bell peppers and onions, shredded cheese (whatever kind she likes on tacos), guacamole if y'all like it, cooked ground meat (if she even likes it on her tacos) and so on and each person makes their own. Look for non-dairy sour cream and/or plain thick yogurt if y'all like sour cream on your tacos. We do burritos, nachos, etc pretty frequently with a household all over the range (but, we don't do meats since everyone is okay with no meat - still have various cheeses, sour cream, etc)

--DebR

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Glad you are here, Nora! I agree that making non-vegan food for others is a challenge. So far, I have been cooking normally for my family and making vegan for myself. It hasn't been too bad yet - but I can see where it will grow tiring. I'm also worried I'm going to start being disgusted by cooking meat. My husband will never give it up, although I have in the past made vegetarian meals and just not told him. However, I'm trying to stay away from the "morning star' type products if possible.

Last night was a challenge because I didn't really make myself anything for dinner. I made due with some brown rice and asparagus - but then was starving by 9PM. I wound up making a whole grain sandwich with some reduced fat peanut butter and a banana. Definitely filled me up - but I'm sure it was more fat than I should have. Gratefully, this morning I had lost another pound - that makes 4 already. Definitely great motivation to stay on track.

I hope you all are doing great. I look forward to hearing about your challenges and successes! Have a great day! Kay

P.S. I drizzled my asparagus with ponzu sauce (a citrus based soy-like sauce) and sprinkled it with black pepper and baked it for 10 minutes at 400. It was delicious! Smile

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Never2Late wrote:

My husband will never give it up, although I have in the past made vegetarian meals and just not told him. However, I'm trying to stay away from the "morning star' type products if possible.

If it's a choice between cooking faux meats for hubby and being disgusted by cooking real meats, go for the faux meats for him and you can just not have them.

Quote:

Last night was a challenge because I didn't really make myself anything for dinner. I made due with some brown rice and asparagus - but then was starving by 9PM. I wound up making a whole grain sandwich with some reduced fat peanut butter and a banana. Definitely filled me up - but I'm sure it was more fat than I should have. Gratefully, this morning I had lost another pound - that makes 4 already. Definitely great motivation to stay on track.

Yeah, that's where having a meal plan/menu and making extra when you do cook come in handy. We've almost always got some portioned containers of soup, pasta, rice, chili, cooked beans, whatever in the fridge so putting together a quick meal is pretty easy. I use the leftover portions to make lunches to bring to work (I have access to stove, oven, microwave, and fridge here). It's also particularly important with a growing 14 yr old boy in the house! Last night we had pasta for dinner around 6 pm (penne tossed with bell peppers and onions and tomato sauce with herbs) but by about 9 pm he was looking for food (not a handful of nuts and raisins snack, but a small meal almost). Hunted around the kitchen and fridge a bit and turned a container of cooked chickpeas into "not tuna" salad and he put that on a toasted multigrain English muffin and was satisfied (full disclosure: he added a slice of cheddar to his sandwich but the concept holds).

The biggest stumbling block for many is waiting until they arrive home, tired out from the day, and trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Plan it ahead, prep what you can in advance (cook a big batch of beans, clean the kale, chop some onions and bell peppers and store in containers, etc) and you can put together a meal in under 20 minutes.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I agree with all of you. Planning ahead and having something cooked for the times when you are late and tired is so helpful. This program takes advanced planning - unless we learn some things we can do in a hurry. I feel better about food today when I made two meals last night that I can use for a few days.

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Ha, I've got to join this crew! I have a terrible history of a sweet tooth, emotional eating, and having too much sugar in general. I'm hoping this kickstart will help me, as i plan to continue upping my fresh fruits, veggies, rice and noodles with healthier sauces or even salsa! and not cheese dressings or sauces for pasta, not that i miss it.

I never liked cheese, my problem is the sweet coffee / tea drinks...so I have to work on reducing that sweet tooth!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 550 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org