21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Favorites for a fast kitchen: Pressure Cooker
Created on: 08/19/13 10:12 AM Views: 2812 Replies: 17
Favorites for a fast kitchen: Pressure Cooker
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hi Everyone!

It's no mystery that one of the best ways to support yourself in healthy dietary change is being prepared - and close on the heels of that is make preparation easy.

If you haven't made friends with the pressure cooker, or yours is collecting dust,you might want to revisit this easy cooking method.

Recently, the Instant Pot company sent me one of their pressure cookers to review. It also sautes, slow cooks, rice cooks, steams - you name it.

Even thought I've had a pressure cooker for a long time, this one has made things so much easier. I can even cook a full 5 lb bag of potatoes at once!

Here's a full article about it:

My new kitchen buddy: Instant Pot electric pressure cooker review

When I told Instant Pot folks that I loved the IP, they offered to set me up with an affiliate program. Instead, I asked them if they could establish a code that would allow readers to get a discount, and they came through - $45 dollars off!

All the details and code on the article.

Anyone else have one of these?

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

RE: Favorites for a fast kitchen: Pressure Cooker
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I bought the Instant Pot, and received the discount, thank you Lani. I use my stove top pressure cooker a lot for soups, stews, grains, etc. and haven't used it since receiving my Instant Pot, it's great.

The Instant Pot is so easy to use and you don't have to worry about when the pressure is reached, etc. Just set the program and it rings when done, then enjoy. Very easy and delicious. A great purchase.

Also very easy to clean.

Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I have the Instant Pot too and I love it. Just put the food in, press the buttons, and then take a nap! or get something else done. No more standing at the stove watching and watching. (I told an elderly woman with arthritis about this and she was happy to hear she may be able to cook without pain now because she won't have to stand for a long time cooking anymore)

You don't have to worry about not getting to it when its done because it will keep the food warm for several hours.
No worries about when to open the lid. It won't open unless the pressure is down. I never got into using the stovetop pressure cooker because I was afraid of it but this I am not afraid of at all.
This fits into anyone's busy lifestyle.
I use my Instant Pot every single day. I steam kale, cook the little red potatoes, lentil or split pea soup, and the black beans are the best beans I have tasted.
Yes, Chickadee, its very easy to clean. Except for soup, most times I just rinse it real good, let it dry, and its fine for next time.
I really like the super lightweight stainless steel inner pot. No heavy crockpot bowls anymore.
I am very happy with the Instant Pot. Its actually very fun to use. It makes cooking interesting and fun. It makes it a pleasure instead of a chore.
Thanks for sharing this invaluable message Lani!

Edited 08/19/13 9:06 PM
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I must get one of these! I didn't realize when I got my new stove (it has a flat glass top) that I couldn't use a pressure cooker on it. Does this one sit on the counter and is then plugged into an outlet? Can this pressure cooker be used when sealing mason jars of vegetables?

Jen

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think I'm ready to get the InstantPot--found it on sale on Amazon for $119.95-is this a good price or would it be best to use Lani's code? Thanks Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

chickadee wrote:

I bought the Instant Pot, and received the discount, thank you Lani. I use my stove top pressure cooker a lot for soups, stews, grains, etc. and haven't used it since receiving my Instant Pot, it's great.

The Instant Pot is so easy to use and you don't have to worry about when the pressure is reached, etc. Just set the program and it rings when done, then enjoy. Very easy and delicious. A great purchase.

Also very easy to clean.

Chickadee - cool! Let me know what you've tried so far!

Lani

facebook

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

veganer wrote:

I have the Instant Pot too and I love it. Just put the food in, press the buttons, and then take a nap! or get something else done. No more standing at the stove watching and watching. (I told an elderly woman with arthritis about this and she was happy to hear she may be able to cook without pain now because she won't have to stand for a long time cooking anymore)

You don't have to worry about not getting to it when its done because it will keep the food warm for several hours.
No worries about when to open the lid. It won't open unless the pressure is down. I never got into using the stovetop pressure cooker because I was afraid of it but this I am not afraid of at all.
This fits into anyone's busy lifestyle.
I use my Instant Pot every single day. I steam kale, cook the little red potatoes, lentil or split pea soup, and the black beans are the best beans I have tasted.
Yes, Chickadee, its very easy to clean. Except for soup, most times I just rinse it real good, let it dry, and its fine for next time.
I really like the super lightweight stainless steel inner pot. No heavy crockpot bowls anymore.
I am very happy with the Instant Pot. Its actually very fun to use. It makes cooking interesting and fun. It makes it a pleasure instead of a chore.
Thanks for sharing this invaluable message Lani!

Veganer,

What an excellent overall description! I too like that the inner pot is lightweight and easy to transport. It usually only need a quick rinse but I've also run it through the dishwasher a few times.

Cheers!

Lani
facebook

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

dodink58 wrote:

I must get one of these! I didn't realize when I got my new stove (it has a flat glass top) that I couldn't use a pressure cooker on it. Does this one sit on the counter and is then plugged into an outlet? Can this pressure cooker be used when sealing mason jars of vegetables?

Jen

Jen,

Yes, the unit is entirely independent so you can move it anywhere. I've cooked with it outside on hot summer days.

Great question about the canning! You could write customer service from their website - they've always been very responsive to me.

Lani
facebook

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

christl wrote:

I think I'm ready to get the InstantPot--found it on sale on Amazon for $119.95-is this a good price or would it be best to use Lani's code? Thanks Very Happy

christl,

Find the size and model you want on their website (the link is right there on my blog page) and subtract #45 from the price and that will give you your answer. Also consider shipping, I don't think IP charges but then Amazon might not either.

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/recipes/my-new-kitchen-buddy-instant-pot-electric-pressure-cooker-review/

Lani
facebook

Edited 08/20/13 11:01 AM
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Thank you, Lani-will do Smile

Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Lani, I've done beans, veggies (beets) and oatmeal from steel cut oats. Put the oats on before I went to bed at night and breakfast was ready when I got up in the morning. My favourite, though, is what I call clean out the frig stew. Beans and whatever veggies I have in the frig, a can of tomatoes, seasonings, onion, garlic, etc. delicious and enough for a few days. Not too bad for only having the Instant Pot for a few weeks. One thing, I got the smaller 5 litre one and do wish I'd got the 6 litre one.

Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM

chickadee wrote:

Lani, I've done beans, veggies (beets) and oatmeal from steel cut oats. Put the oats on before I went to bed at night and breakfast was ready when I got up in the morning. My favourite, though, is what I call clean out the frig stew. Beans and whatever veggies I have in the frig, a can of tomatoes, seasonings, onion, garlic, etc. delicious and enough for a few days. Not too bad for only having the Instant Pot for a few weeks. One thing, I got the smaller 5 litre one and do wish I'd got the 6 litre one.

Chickadee,

Do you mean you have the steel cuts on slow cook?

How long do yo cook the soup - and is it under pressure? Do you use uncooked beans usually?

You are master of the IP! As for size, you're probably right - it takes up a chunk of real estate anyway so might as well go for the gusto!

Hey, I am doing corn on the cob - I'll post a pic later.

Lani
facebook

Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Hi, chickadee-do you toss the whole onion and other vegetables in, or have to chop things up first? Also, do you use a vegan seasoning cube? Thanks Very Happy

Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Lani, Do you know how long they are going to give the discount with your code? It may be a few months before I am ready to purchase one. Also, will the code work for the new model coming out in October?
Thanks

Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

DebB wrote:

Lani, Do you know how long they are going to give the discount with your code? It may be a few months before I am ready to purchase one. Also, will the code work for the new model coming out in October?
Thanks

Deb, the code is up indefinitely so you could check again when you are ready to buy as who knows what the future may bring. And I'm betting the code will work on the new model if it is still active. Do you know what is different about the new model?

Lani

Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Lani,
Not for sure what difference there will be in the new model but I think I read somewhere (maybe in the commments)that they were going to fix a few "bugs". It sounds like, though, that no one on this forum has had any trouble with their cookers.

Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

DebB wrote:

Lani,
Not for sure what difference there will be in the new model but I think I read somewhere (maybe in the commments)that they were going to fix a few "bugs". It sounds like, though, that no one on this forum has had any trouble with their cookers.

Deb,

I sure am happy with mine. I think any 'bugs' I have experienced have all been solved with experience - in other words, getting familiar with how she works!

Lani

Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM

The steel cut oats I just cooked on the congee setting and I do enough for several days so just heat up for a minute before eating.

The stew, I did soak the beans, and I had so many that had to cook on the bean setting, then froze some for a future use.

I don't usually use the veggie cubes, I find the tomatoes give a good flavour along with all the veggies. The last stew I made I added the beans, mostly cooked, carrots, beet greens, (usually use kale but this was clean out the frig stew), onion chopped, garlic, ginger shredded, beans, then I added a couple of spoons of curry powder, some turmeric and some chilli powder for heat. I then added the canned diced tomatoes and enough water and let it cook.

I sometimes take my own food when I go out to dinn at non veggie friends and the one time I took this stew everyone wanted to have some, luckily I'd taken extra.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 214 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org